WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my correction , POCKET WATCHES....a couple of dollar watches and a clebar that I picked up over the summer..all work....all were a good find for me, as I did not have these particular dollar watches and I like the Clebar,because one of my first 'vintage 'watches I collected was a CLEBAR....a cracked crystal on the WESTCLOX...oh well:-(

Attachments

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Considering that these dollar watches were made in 10X the quantity of 'highly jeweled' Elgins, Walthams, et.al. we rarely see them. Great history!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
We probably don't see them because they were "disposable" technology, meant to use for a couple of years and then tossed as they were basically not repairable when their pin lever escapement gave up the ghost.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:thanks for the comments.....I agree Ron, re 'disposable',however,I will always aquire them when possible(these were $5/piece,Clebar=$30)....I was really happy to get the 'midget'.....EEEB.I recall your aquisition awhile back,with the warranty card intact.....I am still hoping to get one!!!!

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,209 Posts
Nice catches :-! I particularly like the Canadian Dax luminous. Really old-school working man's watch. Might want to run it past a geiger counter though, considering the cracked crystal. Dollar watches are an important part of watchmaking history.

The Clebar is interesting. On this forum we occasionally see these elaborate 1970s/80s hunter pocket watches with wristwatch movement, but typically they're from Hong Kong with Swiss movement, or later with USSR or PRC movt. This Swiss made example shows how widespread this style was. From the 1990s onwards such watches more commonly had quartz movements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts