WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asked numerous times but I got some criteria on my question...

Which color is more iconic?

Is black hard to read?

Which easer to sell/trade (just in case)?

Does the white take away from the incognito properties of this under the radar piece? I really like wearing a Rolex that doesn't scream Rolex except to people in the know.

I have no white watches, But I'm leaning white, even though I always go back!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have no idea which is more iconic but I can tell you that the polar is very easy to read. both colors seem to go for more or less within the same range on the resale market.. most people don't notice what is on your wrist anyway so I think the stealth factor is still there.. if you are looking for a stealthy white rolex I feel you are hard pressed to do better than the explorer 2 or the milgauss.

·
Registered
131 Posts
More iconic: Neither are iconic

Black hard to read: Nope! The white hour markers contrast with the black dial. Easy to read.

Easier to sell: Comes down to buyer preference

Incognito properties: I've never been noticed in my black dial. It's my only Rolex and has been my daily beater since October 2015.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
I shopped extensively for my 16570 last year and found the Polar often selling for a bit more than its black counterpart. Not a large amount, but a few hundred dollars or so. To each his own, but I think white is the color for this reference. Black dials dominate the sports Rolex range. The white E2 is refreshing and looks great with the steel bezel. Also, it's practically invisible. I've had many comments on my Seikos at the office but hardly a glimpse at the Polar. I have no plans of ever parting with mine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I know the "reference" is the white, but I think the Exp II in black with the red hand is just killer.

IMG_7167.jpg

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shopped extensively for my 16570 last year and found the Polar often selling for a bit more than its black counterpart. Not a large amount, but a few hundred dollars or so. To each his own, but I think white is the color for this reference. Black dials dominate the sports Rolex range. The white E2 is refreshing and looks great with the steel bezel. Also, it's practically invisible. I've had many comments on my Seikos at the office but hardly a glimpse at the Polar. I have no plans of ever parting with mine.

As you already know from my posts, That's where I'm at....I m shopping ......Thanks for the replies Mark!

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you are after an old 5 digit reference 40mm Exp-II, I would tell you to get a polar white one. It is one of the easiest dial to read even in dim rooms (like a lounge bar etc). You'll only attract attention of a keen-eyed Rolex enthusiast with the Explorer-II so don't you worry about unwanted attention. When it comes to the Exp-II, more people seem to favour the polar variant but there's no one better than another. It's all up to your personal taste. I used to have a 2003 polar 16570 and regret it even now for selling it... It was one of the worst decisions I made in my life...

·
Registered
10,507 Posts
Polar white any day of the week. :-!
It's just so damn cool!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have owned both and prefer the white 16579 and black 216570, for some reason I feel white works better in the older one and black with the newer, I think because the newer white ones seem a bit too "cartoonish" but ymmv.

Everyone loves pics!!
Yes, yes and thrice yes.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts
I like the legibility of the white dial. Prefer the current iteration to the previous one. Polar is probably more classic, not sure about resale value.

·
Registered
189 Posts
depends on which part of the world...the black colour is more popular in Asia and easily snap away by buyer. Price wise they are the same over here in Asia.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I spent a long time looking for a nice looking white dial sport watch and the explorer 2 came in at top.
However, I soon felt that sport watches are meant to be in black. Leave the whites for the dress watch.
For me, black >> polar

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
They are both gorgeous! I started with a Polar, then bought a black one. They are both very undervalued and I see the value going up, over time. I sold my black one, and kept the Polar one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Black = versatility. White = White. White also draws eyes. So do you value discretion or do you enjoy people glancing at your wrist? If you're going to wear this everyday I would recommend black, which is what I have. Or do you just like white? That's really all you need to take into account.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Go with Black...

I fell for the floating hands on the black version. The black version has black painted hands near the center pinion giving a floating hand effect. The contrast of the orange on black background is what does it for me. Additionally, the orange "Explorer II" on a white faced background appears washed out to me.

This is from my Explorer II vs SD4000 review at https://www.minus4plus6.com/SD4000.php I have more thoughts on the Explorer II compared with the GMT and SD4000 posted there.

-Sheldon

1 - 20 of 40 Posts