WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

there are some dress watches like the Railmaster or Aqua Terra which are rather classic looking and very well polished. I for one, do not really like the shine. Is there any way to get rid or remove or the very least take off the polish?

I used a very fine grade gritpaper (or sandpaper as they call it) and under water, polished (or rather sanded off) the shine of my X-33 Gen 1 bezel rather carefully and i love it now.

any suggestions how i can remove the shine off a railmaster or aqua terra at home? thanks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You might want to be careful with home-finishing. On certain rather flat, plain surfaces, like a watch clasp, you might be able to get away with it. On a case, unless you know exactly what you're doing, you're likely to create an uneven brushed look, with irregular swirls and essentially ruin the finish of your expensive watch.

If you're dead-set on a more matte metal finish, you'd be just as well to get a different watch.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Or buy a couple of cheapo watches first to practise on. Even try a local flea market as they don't have to work.

·
Registered
941 Posts
any suggestions how i can remove the shine off a railmaster or aqua terra at home?
Technically, what you are asking is how to apply a "brushed" finish to polished metal. I've brushed scuffs off all my watches and can say it takes alot of skill to do correctly. Likely it will involve taking apart the watch access all the areas completely (like removing the bezel).

Like the other poster said, you will most likely make it look worse when doing it at home. The factory brushed finishes are done by specialized machines.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all of you. i guess i will not undertake the buffing off. too risky to do it on a thousand dollar watch. thanks for your advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts