WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously both standard models of the Nav Chrono has a polished bezel, but has anyone had the caseback and "under-bezel" (not sure what else to call it) polished leaving just the lugs and edge brushed? If so, can you post a picture? I've been thinking it would look quite sharp as well as making the watch quite unique amongst it's Steinhart brothers. The closest thing I can find to visually describe what I mean is this picture of an IWC FA Jones Portuguese.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
once you strapped that piece onto your wrist, the bottom polished part will not be noticed by most of other collectors or interested individuals around you... perhaps a different case who're particular about the label on the dial...

who will really care if the bottoms are polished or not?

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
mith, I do not ever recall seeing, reading or hearing of a Nav polished on the top facing part of the case & caseback leaving only the sides of the case brushed. Of course that doesn't mean someone out there hasn't done it but if they have I certainly have never seen it.

There has been an older Triton completely polished & the occassional home brush job done but that is about it I reckon. Hopefully if someone has done it I hope they let us know about it & post a pic or two as it would be a rare thing to see.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
once you strapped that piece onto your wrist, the bottom polished part will not be noticed by most of other collectors or interested individuals around you... perhaps a different case who're particular about the label on the dial...

who will really care if the bottoms are polished or not?
What Uwe said, I don't really care if anyone else notices or likes it. I think it would look good and that's all that matters. I'd just rather see it before going to the extent of doing it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
mith, I do not ever recall seeing, reading or hearing of a Nav polished on the top facing part of the case & caseback leaving only the sides of the case brushed. Of course that doesn't mean someone out there hasn't done it but if they have I certainly have never seen it.
Well, give it a week or two and you will ;)

This was the results of my test polish on the caseback with a Cape Cod cloth. I decided I do really like the look so today dropped it off at Otto Freidl's at the Hotel Vancouver for a full refinish. It was a bit amusing watching the confusion caused to the watchmaker by the sales staff telling him it was an IWC Big Pilot, nice compliment to the quality Steinhart offers. Either way, in a week or two I'll have it back.

To be done:

- bezel repolished to remove normal wear and tear (pretty minor, I touch up frequently with a Cape Cod cloth)
- lugs and case edge to be re-satined/brushed
- "under-bezel" and caseback to be mirror polished

This stock image of the 44mm Nav-B Chrono II gives the best description for the road map of work to be done. At $75 I feel it's pretty reasonable given the fact that the watch needs to be disasembled and job will be a multi-stage, multi-surface, multi-finish process.

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
a Higher lever of Finish will surely make the Watch look Sweeter :-!.
Please post some pictures when it's done.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Yeah, I very much like the plan you have for the Nav chrono Mith. I am looking forward to seeing it finished & gleaming......

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
|> I'm also looking forward to seeing the finished product. I'm in Vancouver also, so I'll have to remember to drop in to Otto's one day. Someone else recommended him to me.:-!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
They've got a very good reputation, I know a couple guys at the office have had work done there and always been very impressed. They have to be good to maintain that location, I would think rent in the Hotel Vancouver is $$$$. I've previously dealt with Norbert over at The German Watchmaker in Yaletown for minor service issues but he told me he didn't have the equipment needed to resurface brushed, satined or bead blasted finishes. For that work he has to sent the watches out.

Either way, I'll definitely take and post photo once I have the watch back from Otto Freidl's.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
They've got a very good reputation, I know a couple guys at the office have had work done there and always been very impressed. They have to be good to maintain that location, I would think rent in the Hotel Vancouver is $$$$. I've previously dealt with Norbert over at The German Watchmaker in Yaletown for minor service issues but he told me he didn't have the equipment needed to resurface brushed, satined or bead blasted finishes. For that work he has to sent the watches out.

Either way, I'll definitely take and post photo once I have the watch back from Otto Freidl's.
Looking forward to it! Case finishing can really dress up a watch.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I picked the watch yesterday. The work that Otto Freidl did was fantastic, I had wanted the underside of the lugs brushed as well however I wasn't clear enough. Not a big issue, it looks fine as it is and I'll just have it addressed next time the watch is in for refinishing. Honestly the effect this gives from the side is fantastic, definitely a finish that Gunter should consider for his next LE or premium edition pilot.

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
look really NICE.. :-!
Great Job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts