• Brushed

Votes: 9 69.2%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've had my eye on Panerai for several years and my wife recently gifted me a Pam 777 (first Panerai). I absolutely love the watch but the high polish had me thinking. What do you guys prefer? I understand its personal preference but am curious if a tool watch should be this polished. Personally I wish the case had a brushed finish like the crown guard but it doesn't deter me from liking the watch any less.

Photo below with OEM Panerai rubber strap (my wrist shot).

PXL_20201209_173532711.MP (2).jpg

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got a PAM 510 about a year ago with roughly same case, and really enjoy it. I am used to the polished case and it doesnt really come to mind often. But I have been eyeing the PAM 233 for that classic 1950 case and the brushed surfaces (but for the bezel). It is a little thicker but the brushed surfaces do tone down the reflections and seem a little more casual. Interested in others take that have had both all polished and brushed. Panerai are some fun watches.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
i equally like both finishes.
your watch looks great. you've already dressed it down with a rubber strap. but then again a Gator would dress it up a lot.
so you've got the best of both world. 😎

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i equally like both finishes.
your watch looks great. you've already dressed it down with a rubber strap. but then again a Gator would dress it up a lot.
so you've got the best of both world. 😎
I'm two steps ahead of you. I found a good deal on black friday for an alligator strap. The polish does help dress it up a bit with the alligator strap but I noticed I am consistently walking around with a microfiber towel. We'll see how the polish last with a couple of beach visits.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a PAM 510 about a year ago with roughly same case, and really enjoy it. I am used to the polished case and it doesnt really come to mind often. But I have been eyeing the PAM 233 for that classic 1950 case and the brushed surfaces (but for the bezel). It is a little thicker but the brushed surfaces do tone down the reflections and seem a little more casual. Interested in others take that have had both all polished and brushed. Panerai are some fun watches.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That Pam 233 is pretty sweet looking watch. I'm a sucker for a power reserve indicator on manually wound watch. I do agree the brushed surfaces does tone it down and I kind of feel that way with the Pam 1351. I have to say though the Radiomir version makes most since being polished. That watch just seems more of a dress Panerai than the 30m Due debacle.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Consider Breitling. Still a 'tool' watch, yet a lot of their previous lineup was polished (haven't looked recently). I wouldn't let that distract from the watch, but understand your thinking. That brushed finish on the crown guard softens the overall appearance a bit, anyway. I think you've got a good one and shouldn't sweat that detail.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I never thought of that case style as dressy so I think brushed finish when I see one.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Consider Breitling. Still a 'tool' watch, yet a lot of their previous lineup was polished (haven't looked recently). I wouldn't let that distract from the watch, but understand your thinking. That brushed finish on the crown guard softens the overall appearance a bit, anyway. I think you've got a good one and shouldn't sweat that detail.
I used to have a Breitling chrono in blue and thought it was too polished; the bracelet did tone it down by being brushed. I don't mind polished watches but I found it interesting how they are always a feature of high end timepieces (with the exception of some models).

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I haven't polished my watch in15 years. If it bothers use. Some 3m scotch brite pads and give it a once over

Your watch. Can do whatever you want to it

DON

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm a bit newer to the Paneristi. If you intend it to be a true tool watch; brushed. If you intend for a bit dressier or similar wear; polished. My recently acquired PAM 00025 is brushed as it's a diver. However, as I look for my next Panerai, I would love another Luminor, possibly a Marina, with a polished case as I would like it for a more classed-up look.

Nonetheless, watches are entirely a personal and emotional decision; get what blows your hair back.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Polish for dressed watch, brushed for tool watch.

as a sidenote, polished surfaces does not wear well and will exhibit hairline scratches with the lightest of touches. Brushed on the other hand will hide a lot of blemishes because of the grain of the finish.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That first IWC and your Sinn are really sharp! What are the refs for those?
The solo iwc wrist shot is the original big pilot reference: 5002-01

The Sinn paired with the IWC is (Sinn: EZM 1.1) and IWC 2000m (depth rating) aquatimer (3536-01)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
The solo iwc wrist shot is the original big pilot reference: 5002-01

The Sinn paired with the IWC is (Sinn: EZM 1.1) and IWC 2000m (depth rating) aquatimer (3536-01)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are some really nice pieces. Thanks for sharing the details.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts