WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must share this. I left quite many small scratches on the lugs of my two SKXs when swapping between straps and bracelets. Now the scratches are ALL GONE. I used this Meguiar's product. I must say it is FAR MORE effective than Polywatch.
Am I the only one here love polishing watch cases? :-d
Cheers

20181222_105609.jpg

20181222_110002.jpg

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did it again last night.
One dent (on the lug) and one scratch (on the bezel) were removed from my sarb017.
The polishing work on the dent is almost perfect (See the first photo). It's fortunate the dent was not on the edge of the lug. Thus I am able to keep those sharp lines. If I don't tell, I think no one will be able to spot it with the naked eye. ;-)

20181229_081119.jpg

20181229_081318.jpg

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do this properly? I picked up a used watch with a few scratches that I would love to be able to remove. Does this remove scratches by grinding away the surrounding metal so that everything is even?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... Does this remove scratches by grinding away the surrounding metal so that everything is even?
Yes, that's the trick. If the scratches are too deep or on the edge of the case, then polishing may not be a good idea.
I think there is not much skill involved. All you need to have is patience and gentle hands. ;-)
And please make sure to use microfiber cloth.

20181230_121843.jpg

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are two sarbs. The bezel on the black sarb033 was polished while the cream sarb035 not. Photo can't show the difference. Yet in my eyes the black sarb bezel is more like a mirror than the cream one.

20181230_121559.jpg

I wonder if I can polish it to the level of Grand Seiko?

View attachment 13758431

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Beautiful finish! Good job!

Reactions: Rosenbloom

·
Registered
692 Posts
Impressive stuff! I'll give it a go on my 6117 bezel. Ive got a nos case and couldn't find a new bezel so Im hoping this might bring it up a little closer to a matching finish 👍

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One may wonder: Does it worth the effort, especially when it is only a cheap watch like SKX?
As a watch lover, I must say It's Definitely Worth It!

Indeed I am no longer worried about getting my watches collecting scratches because I know I can polish them! Once you acquire the skill, the problem is no longer a problem. b-)

Yes the polishing work may take more than one hour. But for me it's enjoyable. I turned on my stereo and listened to classical music when polishing! :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Looks great!

Any idea how this compares to a Cape Cod cloth?

Using a q-tip sounds like an excellent idea too: much more controlled. I've used Cape Cod cloths, and it does get all over the watch.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks great!
Any idea how this compares to a Cape Cod cloth?
Using a q-tip sounds like an excellent idea too: much more controlled. I've used Cape Cod cloths, and it does get all over the watch.
Thanks!
I do not have a Cape Cod cloth. Thus can't tell.
I bought the Meguiar's for polishing the paint of my car. One day a sudden thought flashed across my mind: Can it be used on a watch as well? Then I tried it on one of my SKXs. The result was out of my expectation!
Cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts