WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really liked this watch when I saw a discussion about it recently so following on from that thread I took the opportunity to grab this Poljot from a well known Ebay Seller. Despite some negative comments about him I’ve used him before and never had a problem with shipping or the product......:think:

I welcome any comment about the dial, hands and crown etc...

You will probably recognize the seller from this pic!

When the watch arrived I fell in love with it immediately, its in A1 condition….cosmetically that is…..my initial joy was washed away as soon as I tried to wind it, it was very stiff plus when Igently rocked the watch to listen to the rotor I could here a scraping sound….oh dear! Pulling out the crown to set the hands I heard and felt a small ‘clunk’ ….double oh dear! On top of all this the watch seemed to stop after about 30 seconds…..o|

So after having the watch in my hands for all of 5 mins. I took it apart!!! :-! :-d

Here’s a list of the problems and a lot of pics.

1) Winding stiff <|
2) Rotor scraping noise <|
3) Movement loose in case <|
4) Bezel covered in oil <|
5) Marks on inside of crystal <|
6) Suspisious lume <|
7) Case back loose <|
8) Movement very dirty <|
9) Watch stopping <|

Here’s the watch with the case back off, it’s a 21600BPH movement with uni-directional autowinding mech. As this is the first time I’ve worked on a 2627 I noted the rotor was held on by a spring clip, easy to remove with a simple push.

The spindle bearing looked as if it had been greased at some stage and would only just rotate. Getting the movement out is easy enough, I found the case clamps where tight but they did not purhcase against the case wall, so I reformed them by bending them upwards at 45deg, this ensured they clamped the movement correctly. The case is in remarkable condition. |>|>|>

Time to start disassembly; always protect the dial face when removing the hands.

Dial detail, I’ll leave this for the experts to comment on, it looks like the dial has been re-lumed but it could have been done in the factory on top of one of the none lume variants. If you look closely the lume doesn’t quite cover all the markers underneath. :think:

Familiar dial side date mechanism.

More detail showing the Parrot quick date change lever on the left.

Keyless works and some idea of the dirt in the movement.

Wheel train side and the auto wind bridge.

Auto wind bridge removed revealing dirt and dry jewels and corrosion around the top balance wheel jewel.

This wheel intrigued me, it’s a dual slip ratchet wheel with two levers. It’s only operated by the winding rotor and bridge. It drives the barrel. You can see the state of the oil inside, all dry and gummed up.

Oh dear, with the ratchet slip wheel removed there are signs of damage on the barrel bridge. The wheel looked in good order though suggesting the wheel and problem had been corrected in an earlier service. Note the dirt though!

Here’s the winding bridge it’s self. The two lower wheels are like the click wheels in the ETA auto wind bridges, they ensure the winding drive to the barrel always winds in the correct direction. Note the dirt and corrosion on the wheels.

Wheel train detail, the center wheel and 3rd wheel pivots where corroded, I cleaned them as best I could but they really need replacing, no spares and a strong urge to wear the watch ASAP made me move on…

Surprisingly the Barrel was in good order and the main spring seemed OK. However, the top and bottom faces had traces of gummed oil, you can see the radial marks in the pictures and yet the spring had a clean coating of oil….hmmmmm…more evidence of a quick ‘n’ dirt get it going fix? :think:

The balance spring was in good order, just some slight bunching of the coils on the left hand side that was easily fixed. This got the One-Dip treatment along with the pallet fork. The dial side bearing jewel was completley dry and the wheel train side had the greasy remains of some sort of oil! No wonder the watch hardly ran at all....

With all the parts cleaned I rebuilt everything and lubed up using Mobius Syntalube. With the movement securely fixed to the case and all the seals checked and lubed as well the watch started within half a turn of the crown! A quick run on the timing machine revealed a small beat adjustment was needed along with a tweak of the rate I managed to get the timing down to a respectable -4s ~ +12s a day error.

So that's maybe a few 100 $ of servicing work on a $40 watch! :-d:-d Luckily I can do this but I pity anybody who may have bought this to wear 'as is' they would have been bitterly dissapointed!

There's still some work needed in fine tuning the regulation and I would like to replace those parts in the wheel train that are corroded but that will have to wait for another day. For now I’m really enjoying just wearing it.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Excellent work NEG and you are totally right! |> Nobody without your skills would be disappointed completely.

·
Registered
222 Posts
cool stuff. thanks for the adventure !
I'm inspired to learn how to do hobby watch repair someday...

·
4,404 Posts
Great Post!

:-!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I totaly agree that this is a Very helpfull guide, one thing though, you dont explain how to get the stem out. I learnt by trail and error. Gently push the small hole inbetween the 2 screws next to the crown, and pull the crown gently. Push it back and it clicks back into place. Does anyone know where I can get a spare rotor from, i too only had mine a short time before my daughter droped it and the fixing screw broke, my wife then decided to loose it!, Oh well, hand winding!. Any help Greatly recieved!. Neil

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Well done! :-!

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry for dragging up an ancient thread!

judging from the casing this looks like the Diver model, and that Lume looks to be a factory offering -all the diver models i've seen have that same, thick lume on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts