WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice Poljot watch that I have inherited from my grandfather,the watch is new in box,but approx. 30 years old.
I want to start wearing it because is a nice watch and because has a sentimental value for me but befor that I think I should have a profesional clean-up,oiling and probably timing.
Can anyone recomend a good watch repair service who is specialized in russian watches,or at least who also does russian watches?
Prefferably in Toronto but if is from the states and accepts mail service will do for me.
Thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took some photos of the watch,unfortunatelly I am not that good neither have a too performant camera.
Actually now that I have the photos up,maybe someone can tell me a litlle bit about this watch as I dont know nothing about it.
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
The watch looks like solid-gold 14k/0.583. Doesn't it?

follow-up: yes indeed it's a nice and rare solid-gold POLJOT watch from USSR times. Be careful while mailing it for cleaning&oiling service.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The watch looks like solid-gold 14k/0.583. Doesn't it?

follow-up: yes indeed it's a nice and rare solid-gold POLJOT watch from USSR times. Be careful while mailing it for cleaning&oiling service.
It's interesting that I was pretty sure that is 18k gold case,now I have to take it to a jeweller to check it out as you are the second person that tells me is 14 k.:)

·
Registered
517 Posts
You should be able to find a local watch maker in Toronto that will do it for a reasonable price. If it's just a cleaning and oiling it's not a problem. I think watch makers shy away when they have to source parts for these watches though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well,I will re-phrase.:)
Anyone can recommend a good watch repair shop in Toronto where they can do a good and clean job,cleaning and oiling my watch,maybe also regulating?
I really would like to have some references before I take my watch to that watch repair shop as I only have bad experiences with services here in Toronto,everything is done on the cheap but absolutely no quality or craftmanship,of course I am not talking watch repairs as I havent use those services till now but almost everything else,tailors,hairdresser,cleaning services and so on.It's really difficult here to find someone to do a job proffesionally.:-(

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hi Sly -- If you can't find anybody in Toronto, contact ARA Master Watchmaker in Winnipeg. They normally work on Swiss watches, but they are old-school pros who do a very thorough job. You may have to be patient...;-) but if they accept the job, they will do it well. They did a great job regulating and servicing my Glycine Incursore...

http://www.masterwatchmaker.net/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a nice Poljot watch that I have inherited from my grandfather,the watch is new in box,but approx. 30 years old.
I want to start wearing it because is a nice watch and because has a sentimental value for me but befor that I think I should have a profesional clean-up,oiling and probably timing.
Can anyone recomend a good watch repair service who is specialized in russian watches,or at least who also does russian watches?
Prefferably in Toronto but if is from the states and accepts mail service will do for me.
Thank you.

Hi Sly,
I am from Toronto area and also looking for a good Russian watch repair service.Did you find any good in Toronto??
Thank you,
Lolek

·
Registered
766 Posts
There is a very good guy in Chicago, Russian background with Russian training and good stock of parts for Russian watches. He's not very computerized, but excellent watchmaker with about 10 years of experience in Russia and another 20 years here in States. If someone wants his info, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Is there a Russian neighborhood in your town?

I found a great watchmaker in LA - in the Fairfax district. There's a conventional jewelry store run by Russians selling Swiss watches and the like. No Russian watches at all. But they're all from Russia where they worked for many years. They fix my Russian watches on the side.

You'd never know that the jewelry store could fix Russian watches just by looking at it.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
I took some photos of the watch,unfortunatelly I am not that good neither have a too performant camera.
Actually now that I have the photos up,maybe someone can tell me a litlle bit about this watch as I dont know nothing about it.
Thank you.
435 rubles in 1978! Quite a lot of money...I wonder who could afford such a watch in the SU...:think:

·
Registered
766 Posts
435 rubles in 1978! Quite a lot of money...I wonder who could afford such a watch in the SU...:think:
There were a lot of people who could afford it. But fewer, who made their money without braking some laws of Soviet Union ;-)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts