WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just stumbled across a good looking Poljot de Luxe with the 29 Jewels 2415 movement. I am puzzled by the dial of the watch, as I have never seen it in a stainless steel case.
Other than that, the watch seems to be in excellent condition. Can anyone tell me if this watch in this configuration (dial+case+movement) is legit? Does anyone else have a similar model? Below are the seller's pictures. Also, the asking price in 140 USD. Is it reasonable?
Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG Capture4.JPG

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Yes, that's a nice looking watch but personally I would pass, particularly at that price, because the back does not state it is stainless steel, leaving some room for doubt that all the parts left the factory together.

Here's a manual wind Deluxe from the same period with the correct back, in my humble opinion:

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm not sure the case of either example is stainless steel, only the case back. I could be wrong but Shnurrp's example especially looks chrome plated with small scratches and wear showing the brass beneath. Stainless steel will not polish.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
I'm not sure the case of either example is stainless steel, only the case back. I could be wrong but Shnurrp's example especially looks chrome plated with small scratches and wear showing the brass beneath. Stainless steel will not polish.
Lighting for the pictures I posted, which was mostly natural, may have included one incandescent light on in the room which may have resulted in some false "brassing" highlights, Gravit. Also, particularly on a manual wind watch of this age, some brassing on the crown would be expected on a chrome-plated example. I used to own this watch and there was never any doubt in my mind that it was stainless. Still, there's no foolproof way to tell other than scratching through the surface to see if there's brass underneath.

Anyway, my point was that all the stainless steel watches I own from that period that I believe are authentic all state "all-steel" or equivalent on the back and for me this would be important.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I could gather, I understand that this particular case was made of stainless steel only. I took a closer look to the seller's pictures and it would seem to me that it is made of stainless steel...It is scratched, but I cannot see any trace of brass... As for the price, I really don't know if it is worth it or not. The prices seem to be all over the scale, from $80 to $200, or more.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
From what I could gather, I understand that this particular case was made of stainless steel only. I took a closer look to the seller's pictures and it would seem to me that it is made of stainless steel...It is scratched, but I cannot see any trace of brass... As for the price, I really don't know if it is worth it or not. The prices seem to be all over the scale, from $80 to $200, or more.
It looks stainless to me, black.dial, the only question I would have is did all the parts start out together or was it made up from parts from different watches, since it does not appear to have the back you would expect to see. I would not pay top dollar for it because it has the wrong back, in my opinion.

It could have started out like the one pictured below, had its case harvested for the gold, and then put in that stainless case which perhaps was missing its back so that the original ss back from the gold case was used. It also appears to have a replacement crown which is too big.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello schnurrp,

Thank you very much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. You make a very good point and it does seem like this watch may be a franken... The trouble with these stainless steel cases is that they are very rare when compared with the gold-plated ones, that's why I was "clinging" to this one.

As for the crown, it seems to me that it is original, because the space machined into the case fits the crown. Of course, I might be wrong, but it's kind of hard to tell, as there are very few pictures with this case. What do you think?
Capture.JPG Capture1.JPG

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Hello schnurrp,

Thank you very much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. You make a very good point and it does seem like this watch may be a franken... The trouble with these stainless steel cases is that they are very rare when compared with the gold-plated ones, that's why I was "clinging" to this one.

As for the crown, it seems to me that it is original, because the space machined into the case fits the crown. Of course, I might be wrong, but it's kind of hard to tell, as there are very few pictures with this case. What do you think?
View attachment 1868354 View attachment 1868362
You're welcome. Yes the ss watches of that period are rare and the sellers know this which is why they may attempt a transplant. The crown has the cool look of chrome-plating to me and should be more like the one in the example I gave (smaller and more rounded with the warmer look of ss).

Absent any real provenance (Uncle Igor's watch which he bought in Moscow in 1967....) it's impossible to say, of course, and I'm just giving you my opinion as to whether it's worth the asking price.

Here's another I bought recently for parts. This one is authentic, I believe. Notice crown and back. A watch like this may be where the case came from although this one has the 2609 manual wind. Hmm...I may try a transplant if I can find an appropriate movement holder and there's room for the counterweight (may be why the back was changed to one with more clearance) and the dial fits:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:( Yeah, I see now that the crown is not the original one. As for the caseback, it was not such a problem, but I think that the dial was taken from another watch as well.Too many problems. Guess I'll have to wait for another one

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Oh well, guess I'll have to search for another one then. thank you all for your help!:)
If you're looking for an automatic Poljot in stainless steel these, 208 and 210 and a similar but larger 30 jewel version of 208 (usually Sekondas), although still rare, do show up from time to time and are worth looking for, in my opinion:

My 30 jewel version of 208 with the original band:

Here's the slightly smaller 29 jewel version if you're into gambling on bad photos. Crown looks a little "shiny":

Gents Vintage 1970s Sekonda de Luxe Automatic Wrist Watch 29 Jewels | eBay

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Woooow, that Sekonda with the "coffin" style bracelet is gorgeous! And the same goes for your 30j example. Must acquire one! :D I will use the screenshot of the catalogue as reference, thank you ever so much! As usual, this forum is the "go to" place for accurate horological information :)

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Woooow, that Sekonda with the "coffin" style bracelet is gorgeous! And the same goes for your 30j example. Must acquire one! :D I will use the screenshot of the catalogue as reference, thank you ever so much! As usual, this forum is the "go to" place for accurate horological information :)
Do you mean "coffin" style case, black.dial? I think that is a very apt description I've never heard before and I would like to use it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was referring to the bracelet, apparently that's how it's called (third watch on the left), although yes, the one in the middle (or yours, for that matter) does have a coffin-esque shape :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts