Votes: 128 37.8%
  • Meh...

Votes: 164 48.4%
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the much awaited day finally arrived, and here are the new watches. Are you happy or disappointed. Did you see anything that you would like to get, or simply will wait for next year hoping for a better choice of models to be presented. Your thoughts about the new watches are welcomed.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Not impressed/nothing interesting, will await AD call for Pink Candy OP . . .

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
The Explorer 1 mk 2 has been growing on me the past few years and I enquired at the local AD late last year, in the hope that I may be able to get one. I did the same with the Op39 just before that was discontinued last time around. I’m not saying it‘s my fault in any way, but it does appear that I am some kind of Rolex death-watch beetle.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Explorer 1 mk 2 has been growing on me the past few years and I enquired at the local AD late last year, in the hope that I may be able to get one. I did the same with the Op39 just before that was discontinued last time around. I’m not saying it‘s my fault in any way, but it does appear that I am some kind of Rolex death-watch beetle.
Buick, would it be too much to ask you to enquire about the Air-King at your AD? I really would like to see it discontinued. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
PF I’m probably OK with what Rolex rolled out. I felt that Rolex would upgrade the Explorer II with a new movement but thought it might come with a ceramic bezel. I’m just as happy though that change didn’t happen.

I also felt the Explorer I would be upgraded too, either using the OP36 or OP41 case. Although I thought it would be based on the OP41 case, I think the 36mm case better represents the spirit of the original Explorer I, and 36mm is OK with me too.

I’m somewhat surprised Rolex has provided a choice of Jubilee or Oyster bracelet with the BLNR and BLRO models. Overall there will always be people whining and complaining over what they perceive as disappointment.

I might have considered calling my AD for a SS Explorer I but have been somewhat disappointed with lack of traction over the past couple of years. Hence my response to the poll was Meh.

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
Buick, would it be too much to ask you to enquire about the Air-King at your AD? I really would like to see it discontinued. Thank you.
PF I really thought the Bloodhound Air King (and Milgauss) would be discontinued this year and was surprised they weren’t. Same regarding the Cellini.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think it’s funny because there were so many varying Explorer II predictions. And Rolex has the last laugh and does virtually nothing to it. Rolex seems to change very little from yest to year and when you least expect it they will throw a curveball.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Nothing even remotely interesting. The past year or so makes me yearn for real difference, not the stodginess of (say) the Explorer II's marginal differences or the bling-laden stupidity of a S&G Explorer I.

·
Premium Member
4,553 Posts
PF I really thought the Bloodhound Air King (and Milgauss) would be discontinued this year and was surprised they weren’t. Same regarding the Cellini.
Yes hurry up and discontinue the GV immediately!

·
Registered
765 Posts
So, the much awaited day finally arrived, and here are the new watches. Are you happy or disappointed. Did you see anything that you would like to get, or simply will wait for next year hoping for a better choice of models to be presented. Your thoughts about the new watches are welcomed.

Pretty underwhelming...

But the Batman is back!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Much ado about the Explorer II focus in the teaser, and it's virtually the same watch as previous with an upgraded movement. It just seems odd, that Rolex would celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Exp II without a bit more enthusiasm. If they can't get excited about the Exp II... it's hard for me to do so (and I have a 216570 Polar). The black version though is significantly different aesthetically than previous, and now is essentially a more fitting companion to the Polar IMHO. That said, I prefer the Matte Black of previous version and the unique nature of the ghost hands... I can see demand for it going up.

Some may like the reduction of Explorer to 36mm from 39mm. I don't, as the 39mm sizing was perfect for a low a key sports watch in my opinion.

Other than that... some overworked Daytonas and some strap/bracelet options.

I thought it was a bit of a dud. I was hoping for the enthusiasm and excitement akin to the release of the SD 50th Aniv. and the Daytona Ceramic.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Not overly excited about anything, but would still take a new Explorer II since that's been on my radar anyway. Personally I think new the DJ and Daytona dials are hideous.

Edit: nice to see oyster bracelets for the GMTs, I was never a huge fan of the jubilee.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,059 Posts
I like almost all of them. 36mm ExpI makes sense to me, and it reminds me of the first time I tried on an Exp36 -- initially I thought, "meh, that's kinda small", but as my tastes evolved, I began to prefer "comfortable and out of the way" to "big and weighty". I was worried that the ExpII would get more blingy and less tool-y with a ceramic bezel, so I'm glad it still has steel. I'm glad that the DJ36 has some fresh dial treatments, though I'll see what they're like in the shop later. Also glad that the Skydweller has jubilee now, which I think it should've had from the start (seems like a sales-pumping marketing move more than anything, but whatever).

Meteorite Daytonas... okay, sure, the dial isn't that legible anyway. No more Cellini Dual Time... kinda disappointing, but I just hope that the Cellini line is made for a while longer.

Surprised that the AK and Milgauss didn't get updated, so we've got another 364 days and 18 hours to make up stories about their changes.

·
Premium Member
17,195 Posts
Don't know that I had any expectations, so I can't say I'm disappointed. I like that they reintroduced the Oyster bracelet for the Batman; the jubilee always looked off on the GMT to me...

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Both Rolex and Tudor have bored me immensely today with their 2021 releases.

Reactions: LordBrettSinclair

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I am disappointed there's no 39mm Explorer anymore.

I still don't know how the new Explorer II is any different, it seems as if the lugs are thinner, crown guard is smaller and maybe the bezel is a bit bigger? Then again, it makes for a very difficult "same or different cartoon" exercise.

I really like the Oyster GMTs but I am too poor to get one.

Never cared much for gawdy over the top watches that Rolex added. Two Tone Explorer 🤦‍♂️

Because they are Rolex they can.

What else is there to say? Would like to also hear your thoughts, as you yourself are a devout Rolex collector and fan.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I guess "meh" is synonymous with indifferent.

On the one hand - cool to see the Explorer return to 36mm. The TT Explorer is a bit out there, but I guess it was only a matter of time since Rolex has dabbed gold on all of their other professional models with the same levels of success.

On the other hand, the 36mm Explorer release really makes me glad I got the outgoing OP36 116000 with the blue explorer dial. Gives me the same case size and the same visual appeal, just with a pop of color that I wanted more instead of black. Sure it would be nice to have an updated chronergy movement, better PR, etc., but I can easily live without those things; the blue explorer dial is a trade-off I'll take every time.

As for the other releases (in summary): the "new" Explorer II does nothing for me; Daytonas do nothing for me, meteorite-y or not; jubilee bracelets on anything do nothing for me; on first impression early this morning (pre-coffee) I thought the new DJ green "palm" motif dial looked like a weed leaf (LOL), but the blue "fluted" dial motif is nice - bet that would look even better cased up on an Oyster Perpetual model sans the cyclops.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts