• No, I'll pass

Votes: 128 37.8%
  • Meh...

Votes: 164 48.4%
21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
My quiet hope was for a rework on the Explorer II. Given all things that I would consider attractive about hunting down a new reference, the Exp II would be the most likely candidate, if:

It returned to the 16550 or even 1655 dimension (40mm or 39mm), thinner hand set, and retained the fixed steel bezel.

It’s counter-intuitive to keep the mission-purpose watch at its current satellite-receiving size of 42mm while reducing the 39mm GADA Exp I, in my limited point of view.

But, I’ll vote “meh” until I see a steel Exp I in the hand. 👀

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Finally getting the Explorer II hoping in a few weeks.

Also getting the BB58 925 - probably earlier Tag the Expl II

Generally a bit disappointed witH Rolex but quite satisfied with Tudor releases.

Still can’t believe how JLC knocked it out of the park though...

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
Disappointed PF - nothing I like here - even if they were available or affordable
I think I'm now well n truly off Rolex - I actually preferred the new Tag Aquaracer over anything Rolex listed today :)
my Tudor AD told me they put me down as first refusal for the new Tudors, even before I enquired, so I may pick up the new reverse panda
just really gone off the crown

Reactions: fgriffith

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
There is Pepsi on Oyster and that is very good news for me.
looks so good, but who can actually buy one at retail if they wanted one - not me

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
There are pluses and minuses for me. I like the return of oyster bracelets for the GMT, the 36mm Exp 1, and the blue patterned dial on the DJ. I'm OK with the Exp II change being minimal. I don't like the TT Exp 1 or the PM Daytonas, or the discontinuation of the Cellini Dual Time. There were probably other changes I missed, but I doubt any that I care about.

I wasn't in a hurry to buy anything anyway, so there wasn't much impact on my plans.

·
Registered
828 Posts
So far, a full 80 percent (or so) are either "Pass" or "Meh." That's telling. But, I'm not sure any Rolex designers are reading WUS :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Was hoping for something a bit more interesting, but it was not to be. Not sure who will be excited about the new offerings, but probably not many on this forum. Wish the Explorer 39MM was being retained - it feels like the new dial sweet spot to me. So, meh....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Meh for sure. Still just a want my Op tiffany that on waitlisted for.

I do like some of the new DJ dials

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
did they give you hope that you will get one in this lifetime?
Today they accepted my application. Verification will take place next week. If it is positive, I will have to sign a paper order. I am optimistic because I am a regular customer at AD and I have already bought a few watches from them, including Batman.

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
Today they accepted my application. Verification will take place next week. If it is positive, I will have to sign a paper order. I am optimistic because I am a regular customer at AD and I have already bought a few watches from them, including Batman.
reasons to be optimistic - pleased for you - Ive been on waiting lists for 2 years & beyond caring

·
Registered
893 Posts
A Palm motif for the OP36? :ROFLMAO:

Really?

Of the millions of ways you can jazz up a watch dial, a stylized palm leaf is about the last thing I would choose.

The meteorite dial Daytona is pretty cool.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think this years releases by Rolex are absolutely hilarious!

After owning a problematic 32xx powered SD43 I have absolutely no intention of buying another 32xx powered watch any time soon, so I had no dog in the fight at all when it came to the new releases, but I was still interested to see what they came up with.

Let's unpack what we have.....

So, to really push the boat out and celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Explorer in style, Rolex have done...basically nothing at all! 😄 They just binned off the superb 39mm Explorer, and created a ludicrous TT-dress-tool watch in 36mm. (I wouldn't be surprised if that monstrosity ends up being called the "Display Dweller" as even the most rabid Rolex fan-boy would be hard pressed to drop their hard earned on THAT one!)

They also dropped the (IMO inferior) new movement into the old Exp II case, and ditched the phantom hands on the black model. Wow, an amazing result for a whole year's effort in the design department there chaps! They could've done literally ANYTHING aesthetically to distinguish it from the previous version, but no.... all too much effort. I guess those Rolex designers were too busy all year doing "other things".

So what are those "other things"? Well, putting existing bracelets on existing models must obviously be very tiring to our chums from Geneva. Personally I think that re-offering the BNLR on the Oyster dumps all over the original BLNR's legacy. IMO the 116710 BLNR should've stayed unique as it was the first ever bi-colour ceramic bezel and therefore deserving of being "unmolested". Now that's just not the case anymore. I have absolutely no clue why Rolex have done that; I mean, it's not like people WEREN'T buying BLNR's on account of the Jubilee, and Rolex will suddenly see their sales increase...

Then we have Jubilees on Sky Dwellers too. Gosh the innovation on display here is truly incredible! 😄

Then we have another illegible meteorite dial on a WG Daytona on a "budget friendly" rubber strap, and some 80's Hawaiian-shirt style dials on a couple of DJ's.

So I'm guessing the Rolex design dept had that lot done by lunchtime on Jan 1st 2020. I wonder what they did for the other 364.5 days last year? I think Rolex are absolutely TERRIFIED of messing things up, so they get paralysed and become incapable of doing anything outside of the box when it comes to their more iconic models.

All in all (apart from disagreeing with the rereleasing of the Oyster on the BLNR) I think these (ahem) "new" releases are utterly comedic! 😂 But no doubt plenty will still lap them up like they're the greatest innovation since slice bread. Best laugh I've had in ages!

·
Premium Member
9,112 Posts
Personally, I am delighted. All I can think about is the Explorer1 124270. On the list, and I am willing to wait as long as it takes! I know it is disappointing to many, and sorry for that. I did acquire a 39mm case size Explorer1 a couple years ago, and it just didn't work. Had I not owned a 36mm previously, perhaps it might have. Now I am willing to wait patiently for as long as it takes to arrive! Contacted my AD this morning to be placed on the list.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts