• No, I'll pass

Votes: 128 37.8%
  • Meh...

Votes: 164 48.4%
41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
So, the much awaited day finally arrived, and here are the new watches. Are you happy or disappointed. Did you see anything that you would like to get, or simply will wait for next year hoping for a better choice of models to be presented. Your thoughts about the new watches are welcomed.
I was not expecting much, thus I am not very disappointed, but to sum up:
Liked:
Explorer II (kept a steel bezel)
bracelet offerings for the GMT

Disliked:
Explorer I in 36mm
Bulk of the launches being in 36mm
No reissues/launches from my wishlist

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
Indifferent. Surprised it was a 36mm and not a 41mm Explorer, but indifferent nonetheless.

·
Registered
12,347 Posts
The only one that I am interested (very interested) in and excited about is the new 36mm Explorer.

I have been hoping for years, and genuinely cannot believe that Rolex has re-introduced this size!

Reactions: carlhaluss

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I don't get emotional about what Rolex releases.......
There seems to always be a couple of cool things, then watches I'm less interested in.

If one stands back and looks over the entire product offering, there is probably ONE watch that any given person will like enough to buy.

Most (normal) people could be happy for a lifetime with a Sub, GMT, Datejust, or Day-Date.....
Most folks don't obsess endlessly over when, or how "Swiss Made" sits at the 6-oclock position; let alone what the resale value is.
They assess a watch, or a range of watches and say "This one's pretty cool", pay for it, leave, then enjoy it for years.
I think this is what Rolex is targeting......

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
Much ado about nothing for me I’m afraid.

Exp1 36mil. Too small for me the 39mil is perfect, TT Exp 1 🤔

Don't like meteorite dials, prefer the Skydweller on a rubber, def not on a Jubilee, too blingy.

But the Exp 2......... really? Wasn’t this supposed to be the biggy for its anniversary, and it looks exactly the same to me 🙄

So for me the new Chronos from Breitling were the highlight.

Reactions: Simon

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm pleased.

Explorer II non-ruined and in fact slightly improved.

Explorer I back to 36mm, with great looking proportions. I'm probably a buyer.

GMT-Master II having both oyster and jubilee as bracelet options is a great thing for the range, even if it makes my 116710 BLNR a bit less special all of a sudden.

I'm not the customer for it, but the palm dial DJ is actually pretty cool also.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Everyone keeps talking about explorer this and explore II that. Surprised no one picked up on the new datejust 36 dials. There’s quite a few, more than the obvious palm leaf one

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,039 Posts
Surprised no one picked up on the new datejust 36 dials. There’s quite a few, more than the obvious palm leaf one
Whole 'nother thread about it.

·
Premium Member
10,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
<snip>

What else is there to say? Would like to also hear your thoughts, as you yourself are a devout Rolex collector and fan.
Well, to be honest, I wasn't expecting much 7 months after the massive launch of the whole Submariner 41 line and the OP lines in so many color variations. To me, it looked more like recycling than anything else, it lacked the wow factor. Moreover, not only they didn't celebrate the Exp II 50th anniversary and missed the mark, they downgraded the black Exp II by removing the ghost hands that were on the original 1971 Exp II which anniversary was supposed to be celebrated. Of course, that makes the previous black model the closest one to the original and a collector's model, while the Polar remained unchanged.

The Explorer I, well, there wasn't much wiggle room design wise, 39mm was out since the discontinuation of the OP39, and since it has to piggy back on the OP, it was either 41mm or 36mm, they chose the latter along with a TT, which in my opinion is not suited for an Explorer, I would have gone instead for two models, a 36mm AND a 41mm, but, they didn't ask for my opinion😉.

Now, what I was hoping for:

A 40mm Explorer II like this, a true anniversary watch

And, instead of reviving the Oyster Batman that has been around since 2013, and replicating the WG Pepsi of 2014 in SS by adding an Oyster option, I would have loved to see the launch of an Oyster Coke in WG

Followed a couple of years later by a Jubilée SS Coke

And, instead of meteoriting 4 Daytonas, I would have loved a Green WG Daytona.

So, I voted meh, there is nothing for me this year.

·
Banned
728 Posts
It's almost as if Rolex is trying to kill itself with their business model, the Gray Market fiasco, and now this release of staid looking, lackluster new models.. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I changed my mind from daytona to the new explorer II. AD makes it sound like others will be ahead of me. I was on the list, supposedly, for the daytona.

·
Registered
23,039 Posts
I meant the other new dials mate. there's a few.
Well, yeah, there's the "fluted" dials with the oblong hexagons, and they've reduced the number of "ROLEXROLEXROLEX" jubilee dials. I think the fluted dials will sell quite well; the jubilee dials were awfully busy; and the palm fronds could go either way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, yeah, there's the "fluted" dials with the oblong hexagons, and they've reduced the number of "ROLEXROLEXROLEX" jubilee dials. I think the fluted dials will sell quite well; the jubilee dials were awfully busy; and the palm fronds could go either way.
The new DJ36 Wimbledon as well - but I can't get over the random marker at 9 lol

·
Registered
23,039 Posts
The new DJ36 Wimbledon as well - but I can't get over the random marker at 9 lol
Oh yeah, I overlooked that one. I don't get it either. I tried photoslopping one with a round marker at 9, thinking it would be more like a tennis ball, but it looked stupider.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm pretty indifferent. I was looking fwd to an update of substance to the expII, but that was not to be. Certainly not enough to make me want to trade in what is now the previous version of the watch that I own. I like what Tudor has done for 2021 way more than Rolex.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
639 Posts
Very happy. There are no new watches that I want but can't have.

Reactions: Paulsky

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
While I'm not seeing anything for me personally, I find both the meteorite dial Daytona and the Datejust fluted motif dial in blue attractive. Oyster bracelets as an option on the GMTs are a nice addition but, having the oyster on my Sub leaves me just as content with the jubilee on my GMT. I would also believe that the significance of changes in recent years has resulted in more a year of subtlety. Which, for the wallet, is a good thing.

41 - 60 of 137 Posts