WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What will you do with your normal watches?

• Sell them off. Don't use 'em anymore.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Keep my favorite few because they ROCK.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sell? SELL?! Are you crazy??

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • I didn't wear watches often before, but my AW has converted me, and I want more watches!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
17,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- I haven't worn my other watches and won't miss 'em

- I'll keep some special watches around

- Heavens, no! I'll keep them all!

- I didn't always wear watches before, but the AW has me so hooked on the idea of a wristwatch, I'll buy more watches.

Posting a poll thanks to ronaldheld's idea:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f586/ok-i-cant-get-watch-off-my-wrist-3307522.html#post30476778
Msybe a new thread is needed: have you sold off any watches since you bought the AW 1?
Speaking for myself --

I won't be selling most of my watches whether I had the AW or not, because most of them are either gifts or heirlooms.

Of the ones you see here, though, at least two are having their statuses reviewed. The Garmin 410 gives more data, but data is the only thing it has over my AW; in every other way, it falls behind. I use it on my bike, but even then, I don't pay much attention to the data it's gathered. I would sell either the entire package including the bicycle sensors or sell just the watch and its non-bluetooth HR strap.

The other non-keeper is the 6th generation iPod Nano. It's a great little iPod, and I still use it quite often (I haven't made the leap to bluetooth headphones), but it's not a good wristwatch-y gadget -- it's not waterproof, and you have to press a button for the time display. I could imagine hanging onto it until I sell my iPad 2, then I'd include it as a bundle since they both use the old 30-pin connector. BUT, it's really my wife's, and she hasn't said a word about saying goodbye to it.

If I could say whether I'd buy more regular watches, well, probably NOT. I'd buy more straps for the AW before I'd spend good money on another watch. One of the few reasons I would wear my other watches is to have something different on my wrist. Swapping straps -- and bracelets -- onto my AW gets the same effect, and I wouldn't have to miss the extra functions.

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have an analog, date-only Timex Expedition that I was using as a weekend watch; it is now “on loan” to my mother. I also have an Easy Reader and a pair of Weekender chronos that I am not selling simply because I bought them because I like them. Ditto my Seiko 5.

I’ve always liked watches and never stopped myself from buying them. That said, the AW makes me want different watches; am currently after G-Shocks and an MDV106 which never used to be on my radar yet are sportier than the AW. Also, I have been telling myself, for a long time, that I need a real dress watch but, to be honest with myself, the AW Hermès will take care of that nicely.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,352 Posts
Looks like I was beaten to create this thread. Not owning an AW(yet) I suspect after I do, that I might not do a large sell off but trim some of the watches that might go unworn.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I ended up selling all my g-shocks and citizen CTQ57. I never used them. I might buy another watch but I don't know yet.

·
7,399 Posts
I loosely voted keep my favorite few because they ROCK....and they do! :-d I've sold a lot of watches since I got my Apple Watch and haven't looked back.

My G-Shocks are all versions I have kept over the years because they are just my favorites, except the King may go, I was using it for size comparisons for videos, no personal attachment. I may replace that and a Pathfinder with a Mudman GW-9300 JDM version for camping.

The Citizen and Seiko Kinetic were gifts from my wife, the Movado I wore when I got married.

The Seiko V701 was an heirloom, the Velatura was for my 40th birthday and a 20 year personal accomplishment.

The Tag Link was a watch I had wanted for many years and got a deal I could not refuse....perfect timing.

I said loosely voted because I recently accomplished a long term goal set a looooong time ago that I had the Omega Seamaster Ceramics the prize. Admittedly, it has unseated the Apple Watch the last few weeks. I have been using the Apple Watch for sleeping and exercise for now. I still have phantom taps and look for the weather on my wrist lol. I am really looking forward to WatchOS 3.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I've owned the AW for about two weeks now...it has made a profound impact on me as to how I now view my other watches.

The vintage Seiko divers and chronos will certainly stay....likewise the large G-Shock collection...(I have some pretty cool older models)...however some of the "fringe" watches may be at risk....you know, the one's you just like owning...but hardly ever wear?

I'm not about to do anything reckless....but the gears are grinding upstairs. :)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
No I won't. My current collection are all these and I feel there's no need to replace/sell any of them.

·
7,399 Posts
No I won't. My current collection are all these and I feel there's no need to replace/sell any of them.

That's a really nice collection!!! :-!

Reactions: Snoweagle

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That's a really nice collection!!! :-!
Thanks! I used to have a couple more G-Shocks but I streamlined them to just these few and all are atomic. I also had a couple of Swatches but are faulty except for one see-through Irony automatic which I gave to my wife, since her quartz Titus' battery became flat. :-d

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have an analog, date-only Timex Expedition that I was using as a weekend watch; it is now “on loan” to my mother. I also have an Easy Reader and a pair of Weekender chronos that I am not selling simply because I bought them because I like them. Ditto my Seiko 5.

I’ve always liked watches and never stopped myself from buying them. That said, the AW makes me want different watches; am currently after G-Shocks and an MDV106 which never used to be on my radar yet are sportier than the AW. Also, I have been telling myself, for a long time, that I need a real dress watch but, to be honest with myself, the AW Hermès will take care of that nicely.
I was thinking about this over the weekend as I saw my dad buy a lotto ticket but, if money were no object—

I’d get a no-date Submariner, stainless steel Daytona, Tank, Santos Dumas, and GS SBGD001. Even if I rarely wear them, if ever, I like these watches and I’d buy to own.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The AW has its uses but no, none of my mechanicals are leaving the stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Omega and Apple Forum
3,685 Posts
The Apple watch gets the most wrist time by a wide margin. It's been months since I have worn anything else. Would I sell my other watches?

IMG_6329-2.jpg

No way!

Apple watch rewards you for wearing it. Filling circles, gaining achievements, useful apps, and info @ a quick glance.
Mechanicals on the other hand reward you every time you look down at them.

Chibatastic

1 - 20 of 50 Posts