WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What will you do with your normal watches?

• Sell them off. Don't use 'em anymore.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Keep my favorite few because they ROCK.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sell? SELL?! Are you crazy??

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • I didn't wear watches often before, but my AW has converted me, and I want more watches!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I treat watches likes shoes. I have the daily casual tennis shoes (apple watch), the hiking shoe (military watch), my dress shoes (rolex), and my Red Wings which are pretty versatile (Sinn).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Totally agree. Every watch has its place depending on the activity/event, etc. I like my AW but no way would I sale some of my others. They'll outlast the AW for many many more years.

I treat watches likes shoes. I have the daily casual tennis shoes (apple watch), the hiking shoe (military watch), my dress shoes (rolex), and my Red Wings which are pretty versatile (Sinn).

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I have been keeping my mechanical watch collection small. I really enjoy my SDc. My AW2 is basically a dinosaur in terms of AW speak. I never wear it any longer, and know it’s basically worthless to resell. I stopped wearing it because it couldn’t do the simple tasks I needed it for. It had issues working properly with the Nike run app. It was a major pain in the ass when attempting to run. Additionally, I didn’t want to receive notifications on my watch and even tho they were turned off in the settings, it would still happen constantly.

I have a theory that mechanicals are gonna go away in the future. Some people will think I’m crazy, which is fine. However, if you use the same lens as one would gauge any market, they would probably agree. With that in mind, I am trying to enjoy my mechanicals while I can.

I may get another AW in the future when the technology is better to see how I like it then. I enjoyed the health monitoring ability of the AW though. It can detect a heart attack days in advance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
- I haven't worn my other watches and won't miss 'em

- I'll keep some special watches around

- Heavens, no! I'll keep them all!

- I didn't always wear watches before, but the AW has me so hooked on the idea of a wristwatch, I'll buy more watches.

Posting a poll thanks to ronaldheld's idea:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f586/ok-i-cant-get-watch-off-my-wrist-3307522.html#post30476778

Speaking for myself --

I won't be selling most of my watches whether I had the AW or not, because most of them are either gifts or heirlooms.

Of the ones you see here, though, at least two are having their statuses reviewed. The Garmin 410 gives more data, but data is the only thing it has over my AW; in every other way, it falls behind. I use it on my bike, but even then, I don't pay much attention to the data it's gathered. I would sell either the entire package including the bicycle sensors or sell just the watch and its non-bluetooth HR strap.

The other non-keeper is the 6th generation iPod Nano. It's a great little iPod, and I still use it quite often (I haven't made the leap to bluetooth headphones), but it's not a good wristwatch-y gadget -- it's not waterproof, and you have to press a button for the time display. I could imagine hanging onto it until I sell my iPad 2, then I'd include it as a bundle since they both use the old 30-pin connector. BUT, it's really my wife's, and she hasn't said a word about saying goodbye to it.

If I could say whether I'd buy more regular watches, well, probably NOT. I'd buy more straps for the AW before I'd spend good money on another watch. One of the few reasons I would wear my other watches is to have something different on my wrist. Swapping straps -- and bracelets -- onto my AW gets the same effect, and I wouldn't have to miss the extra functions.
Nice

·
Registered
687 Posts
My AW2 is basically a dinosaur in terms of AW speak. I never wear it any longer, and know it’s basically worthless to resell.
Funny you say it's worthless. I did look for some time to buy a used AW2 and when I saw the prices, I decided to buy a new AW3. The used ones were selling for at least 50% MRSP. Not sure if this means worthless ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just sold them all today. The Apple Watch seems like something els. I can’t really explain it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Nope never, if I found myself away from a power source longer than a day I'd have nothing but a bracelet!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
After having worn my AW for about 6 months straight, I put on my IWC this week to wear to our board meeting. The IWC certainly garners far more compliments and looks much sharper with as suit, but at times I found myself looking down at my wrist to see why it wasn't telling me to stand up or the current weather. Switched back to my AW when I got home. That said, I am with most others here in that I feel each of my watches has a place just depending on my setting.

·
Registered
17,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
...but at times I found myself looking down at my wrist to see why it wasn't telling me to stand up or the current weather.
Almost exactly the same thing happened the other day when I was wearing my Rado. I had just come home from the office and was washing my hands when my wife asked how warm it was outside. I glanced at my wrist and saw a gold sunburst dial, diamond indices, and polished gold-plated hands — but no temperature display. Whoops.

[edit] Adding on that seeing the weather on my wrist is such a habit now, it's disappointing when I look for it on my other watches. It's one of those little conveniences that adds up.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Truth be told, when I look at one of my Timex or Seiko 5, I find myself wondering how far off they are.

Totally understandable for a Seiko 5. As for Timex, I still set all mine exact to the second with each change between standard time and daylight saving time. And I know that the ones with older batteries are running a little slow, whereas the ones with new batteries are gonna be spot on half a year later, maybe even a little fast. But for the most part, even months after setting them, they’re not going to be more than a few seconds off. And yet . . .

Meanwhile, as long as my iPhone’s time is set automatically, I’ve never not trusted the time on my iPhone or Apple Watch.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts