How do you pay for your watches bought on a forum:

• Escrow

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A poll if you buy watches on forums (say over $1000 or more) from people you do NOT know

Does what you do change depending on the value of the watch?
And if you use 2-6….is there a reason why people do not use escrow? I read about it but I think nobody uses it I think but I don't know why. It doesn't seem like a lot more work or more money for an expensive watch, but I have not used it before.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
This used to be a community of watch enthusiasts that could trust each other to pay via PayPal and immediately get confirmation of shipment of a as described watch, now its become a free for all, trying to get to 100 posts just to sell, free riding, no fee paying hustlers. I hadn't seen so many posts about people scamming each other until this past couple of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,121 Posts
I use credit card funded Paypal or a direct credit card payment. I don't use escrow for two reasons. 1. Credit card funding provides reasonable assurance, is fast and widely accepted. 2. I only do business with sellers that I am comfortable with.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,220 Posts
Regarding question 3 I just want to stretch what our sales corner rules & guidelines say:

Describing a sales transaction as a “gift” to avoid legitimate fees (i.e. PayPal), is illegal and violates Watchuseek rules and is subject to thread deletion or account suspension.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should asked at the same time.
Does any one have experience using PayPal funded by credit card and escrow, to talk to how these are different in buyer protection.

And as Mike says - best practice to not mark transaction as a gift always (against rules here, plus if something goes wrong maybe you can't make a claim too-)

·
Registered
473 Posts
As a first time buyer, what should be the best way for me to make a purchase Internationally (I'm Australian)? What do people look for when they are talking to a potential buyer? How do i ensure the seller won't just send an empty box?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
This used to be a community of watch enthusiasts that could trust each other to pay via PayPal and immediately get confirmation of shipment of a as described watch, now its become a free for all, trying to get to 100 posts just to sell, free riding, no fee paying hustlers. I hadn't seen so many posts about people scamming each other until this past couple of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The price of success, I suppose.

Perhaps the posts minimum should be raised to 200? Or maybe as it was before, no minimum limit at all, so that potential buyers can make up their own mind if they're comfortable buying from someone with 1 post count. In other words, a seller's low post count would already serve as a "buyers beware".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts