WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Are you interested in a forum re-issue of the Vostok Compressor?

• Yes

Votes: 101 87.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 623 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to gauge interest in a reissue of the Vostok Compressor. This is not a reinterpretation, but rather an attempt to make something much closer to the original. 39-40mm case, same design style for the dial and internal bezel. Certain small changes will have to be made to distinguish from the original, of course (no сделано в СССР, for example), but leave most of it alone.

The purpose of the project is pretty simple: a lot of people appear to like the look of the watch, and while the recent reissue has its own charms, a smaller case and different design still draw people in. I think doing this particular reissue gives Vostok a great opportunity to show off one of their more interesting (for me, anyway) past designs, and would grab people's attention, even from outside the Russian watch collecting community. Someday I'd like to see it as a regular offering!

Current information (as of 2020/05/06):

- Dimitry from Meranom has stated the minimum order number required would be 400: 300 minimum members required to purchase, and 100 for sale on the website.

- The cost of the last reissue was USD $267. For this project, estimates are USD $300+

- Because of the COVID-19 epidemic, I'm not going to comment on a lead time for the project. I think a year is a reasonable time frame, if we give the supply chain some time to reset and limit our own design voting to a few items such as the caseback, along with any design issues that may pop up.

I appreciate you taking time to read the information posted. If you want any other information from me, please let me know, and I will try to answer questions as best I can. I'm still trying to do research before officially presenting the project to the forum moderators.

Here are pictures of the original design:
Vintage compressor.JPG
vintage vostok compressor.jpg

DESIGN SPECS SO FAR:
- Dmitry has an original case, meaning that during the manufacturing process, they will can try to make the case and crowns as close as possible to the original. Case dimensions: 40mm diameter, 47mm lug-to-lug, 18mm strap width.
compressor case.jpg
compressor case 2.jpg

- We cannot use acrylic crystals; we have the option of either mineral or sapphire box crystals. Both are much closer to the original than a flat crystal. See pictures above. The mineral crystal will potentially reduce WR to 100m; sapphire is more expensive, but can potentially allow for 200m WR.

- He does not have an original dial or bezel. We will have to redesign those ourselves. I do not have the software to design the dial and bezel; if anyone has any recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it. User 24h was kind enough to draw up an example to use as a base, attached below:

Dial base design.png

THINGS WE STILL NEED:

- Bezel design mock-up.
- Caseback design (if any; I'm honestly inclined to leave it as the regular Amphibia caseback)

I'll keep updating this space so people don't need to scroll through the entire thread.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think, a lot of members will connect if something tangible will appear. Until this moment prepare to se blah-blah like mine here. Sorry for the bitter truth
Thanks for the input. By something tangible, do you mean moderator approval?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks for the input. By something tangible, do you mean moderator approval?
Yes, and something like processed design with all details to discuss. A real WYSIWYG picture with current price from the contractor.
And there will be debates))))
And several price, terms and specs changing.
And new "designs" in mspaint (ha-ha) from members, etc.
And after 2-3 years, if the stars will allow, there will be a new reissue of the Vostok Compressor.
This wold be a good hunting!

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Very interested if it will indeed be a true Compressor.

You may recall that "we" have done several (WUS endorsed) projects in the Chinese Mechanical Watches subforum. In 2012 we set out to create a dual crown compressor. The final product looks very nice, but is not a compressor - having a true compressor case would have raised the price above what the participants were willing to pay.

130331_WUS_2C_ProtoType_1.jpg
(2012 WUS CMW Dual Crown prototype - photo credit: hked)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interested if it will indeed be a true Compressor.

You may recall that "we" have done several (WUS endorsed) projects in the Chinese Mechanical Watches subforum. In 2012 we set out to create a dual crown compressor. The final product looks very nice, but is not a compressor - having a true compressor case would have raised the price above what the participants were willing to pay.

View attachment 15086113
(2012 WUS CMW Dual Crown prototype - photo credit: hked)
Thanks for bringing this project up. I actually looked at it during my research on other case designs/producers!

My understanding is that a regular vostok amphibia is essentially a compression case, as its caseback and crystal seal tighter the more pressure is applied. So, as long as that same principal is applied to this watch but with an extra crown, then we have a compressor!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Can we also bring back the original crimped metal crowns of the Amphibias? I prefer those to the stainless crowns that we have today. According to a representative at Meranom, they haven't been producing the crimped metal crowns. Also if possible, can the original fonts of the Soviet watch be used in the reproduction watch?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I’m in for sure...I love dual crown watches.. my only request would be for some other hands other than the standard amphibia arrow....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,112 Posts
I think replication in every way that is technically possible (case, crowns, crystal, hands, fonts, colours) should make for a more straightforward project than what we've seen for a while. It is either doable or not doable. No arguments. Those who want a variation from spec can buy the watch and mod it with off-the-shelf Vostok parts.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think replication in every way that is technically possible (case, crowns, crystal, hands, fonts, colours) should make for a more straightforward project than what we've seen for a while. It is either doable or not doable. No arguments. Those who want a variation from spec can buy the watch and mod it with off-the-shelf Vostok parts.

Exactly. I think we should have this as a first principle.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The compressor is one of the most central watches of soviet horology for (not only) me and, like many I suspect, the couple of tries there were before to make a re-edition failed to capture its design exactly.

I’d be all over an exact re-edition (would compromise on its water resistance spec if that helps, as I wouldn’t dive with it -though I get it may be important to many) and would be ok to have a discreet but clear differentiator somewhere in the graphic so that there’s no ambiguity about it being a re-edition or an original.

I’ll be following this closely :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I stand corrected....it would’ve easily modified to change the hands etc yourself,...I’m in for original!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
By the way, this should go without saying, but in case anyone is viewing this in Tapatalk, this POLL is an actual POLL that you need to log onto watchuseek to vote on. It is not meant to be simply a poll by commentary; you actually need to hit a radio button and then cast your vote (commenting in this thread does not constitute voting).

I'm guessing most everyone else here knows this already, but it almost tripped me up, so I thought it worth emphasizing.

1 - 20 of 623 Posts