WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Poll of quality of invicta

• You have an Invicta, and it's working great!

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • You have an Invicta, and it broke!

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • you don't have an Invicta, but think the're neat!

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • you don't have an Invicta, and hate everything about them!

Votes: 41 37.3%
  • You have either never heard of Invicta, or have no opinion.

Votes: 20 18.2%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Well, this is an original poll......

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Overall it's a sh*t company w way too many rip-off designs and complete absence of QC or customer service. Their business model is simple - sell very cheap watches at cheap price ($20 watch for $75) and don't care about QC- if failure\defect rate is in double digits, they assume that most people will simply trash the watch. Their "warranty" model is the same - they charge $30 to ship a watch back to them for eval - which being 50% of price very often makes it pointless for people to bother w warranty service and people think that it's easier to just replace it as it's "cheap". I am not a fan of this "disposable" culture\mentality. I think people should demand some accountability from manufacturers, regardless of price, as well as, some originality.

That said, they are probably one of top selling brands on Amazon - because 1) they are down w whole over-size\flashy designs; 2) they copy a lot of top luxury brands and sell knock-offs cheap, which creates illusion of value, and 3) sometimes I have no idea what people are thinking (myself included).

I had 4 invictas.
2 Autos - 9937 and 8926OB (from my pre-WIS days, when I knew nothing about knock-offs or their BS practices. Both were returned promptly (got lucky that defects were apparent immediately, rather than eating the cost and trashing them a few months later). I know that these are somewhat appreciated by folks, due to "honest" rip-off of sub design, but the quality control is awful. 8926 ($68 at the time) arrived with second hand floating loose and crown that was askew - Amazon took back (not sure how Amazon tolerates a product w such high return % btw). 9937 ($350 at the time for Swiss movt and flame-fusion crystal) - date never switched over at night, manual date set attempt resulted in date wheel being stuck - non-Amazon seller took the return after multiple threats and complaints, but I ended up eating shipping costs on that POS.

On the other hand I had 2 of their older quartz watches and they are ok for the money. Speedway (the old one) is a half-decent watch (although a clear knock-off of Daytona). But as a beater it has served me well. I did have multiple bent\broken springbars where the watch fell on the ground, and water got in once. Luckily it's also a bit of a workhorse, so it shook off the falls and with water invasion I dried it w rice - it's still ticking away. Use it when I do car work or other very abusive jobs - mineral is chipped and scratched to hell and bracelet looks like it's been through the grinder, but it gets the job done.

So to poll answers - 1, 2 and 4 all apply. Don't like them as a company, nor would buy from them again, but if getting quartz - they are ok for the money. Problem is that there are a ton of better brands to be had - Seiko 5 beats their auto offerings hands-down, and Timex\Casio likely beat them in quartz segment.

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
I couldn't vote.

I looked for "Had two Invicta Sub wannabes and sold them since it annoyed me that they had Invicta massively engraved on the side of the case."

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I think that they would one of the more interesting paper weights that money could buy for $50... Most are also large enough to be a quite serviceable desk clock if mounted in some fashion...

Reactions: Arunbr

·
Registered
15,486 Posts
affordable bollocks...that's no excuse to be a crappy company.
I prefer an inexpensive watch from a company with a sense of ethics.

Reactions: EnderW

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I couldn't vote.

I looked for "Had two Invicta Sub wannabes and sold them since it annoyed me that they had Invicta massively engraved on the side of the case."
You would have known they had Invicta on the side of the case before you bought them. The sellers pics always show that clearly.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I had the Blue Whale for about a month (search on the forum, folks - best thread ever!) - and despite loving her - for her personality more than anything - I thought it was a caricature of a watch. Big, clunky, ridiculous for anyone with any self worth. I heard enough bad stories to steer clear from the brand. Anyone who uses the marketing strategy of inflating MSRP to make it seem like customers are getting a deal gets an automatic F on my scorecard.

I heard the Whale is now broken, the poor thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Overall it's a sh*t company w way too many rip-off designs and complete absence of QC or customer service. Their business model is simple - sell very cheap watches at cheap price ($20 watch for $75) and don't care about QC- if failure\defect rate is in double digits, they assume that most people will simply trash the watch. Their "warranty" model is the same - they charge $30 to ship a watch back to them for eval - which being 50% of price very often makes it pointless for people to bother w warranty service and people think that it's easier to just replace it as it's "cheap". I am not a fan of this "disposable" culture\mentality. I think people should demand some accountability from manufacturers, regardless of price, as well as, some originality.

That said, they are probably one of top selling brands on Amazon - because 1) they are down w whole over-size\flashy designs; 2) they copy a lot of top luxury brands and sell knock-offs cheap, which creates illusion of value, and 3) sometimes I have no idea what people are thinking (myself included).

I had 4 invictas.
2 Autos - 9937 and 8926OB (from my pre-WIS days, when I knew nothing about knock-offs or their BS practices. Both were returned promptly (got lucky that defects were apparent immediately, rather than eating the cost and trashing them a few months later). I know that these are somewhat appreciated by folks, due to "honest" rip-off of sub design, but the quality control is awful. 8926 ($68 at the time) arrived with second hand floating loose and crown that was askew - Amazon took back (not sure how Amazon tolerates a product w such high return % btw). 9937 ($350 at the time for Swiss movt and flame-fusion crystal) - date never switched over at night, manual date set attempt resulted in date wheel being stuck - non-Amazon seller took the return after multiple threats and complaints, but I ended up eating shipping costs on that POS.

On the other hand I had 2 of their older quartz watches and they are ok for the money. Speedway (the old one) is a half-decent watch (although a clear knock-off of Daytona). But as a beater it has served me well. I did have multiple bent\broken springbars where the watch fell on the ground, and water got in once. Luckily it's also a bit of a workhorse, so it shook off the falls and with water invasion I dried it w rice - it's still ticking away. Use it when I do car work or other very abusive jobs - mineral is chipped and scratched to hell and bracelet looks like it's been through the grinder, but it gets the job done.

So to poll answers - 1, 2 and 4 all apply. Don't like them as a company, nor would buy from them again, but if getting quartz - they are ok for the money. Problem is that there are a ton of better brands to be had - Seiko 5 beats their auto offerings hands-down, and Timex\Casio likely beat them in quartz segment.
Don't forget they always have their MSRP extortionately high so when a watch newbie sees the low price they think it's a good deal, when in reality they're getting suckered.

·
Premium Member
71,508 Posts
I'm neither rabidly pro or anti Invicta but it's not just WUS that's got a bit of a downer on them so there must be something not quite right.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
In my experience you get what you pay for with Invicta. My Dad had three of their watches and I'd be surprised if all three together cost him $100. I had a nicer one that I probably spent $200-$300 on and it had a Seilita movement and it was really nice.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts