WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is this watch too small for my wrist??

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, shown here is a Cartier Santos Galbee. Just received it today and I'm kind of undecided on whether I should keep it or not, mainly concerned about the size on my wrist. It is the smallest watch I've owned and definitely shows, but part of me still finds it somewhat appealing and charming for its size. I'm comfortable wearing most sizes ranging from a 36mm datejust to 42-45mm pilot watches, but this one is bordering close to women's sizing. Just wanted to hear public opinion on whether it looks out of place/way too small or not. Thanks in advance for your opinions and hopefully it'll help me decide on whether to keep this or move it along.

Cheers!

Cartier Santos.jpg

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes, way too small in my opinion. Listed at 29mm wide - for comparison, my wife's square watch is 32mm, and doesn't look large at all on her average female wrist.

There are Cartier models that would suit you much better IMO.

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
I was certain that whichever Watch and wrist I saw on this thread, I would vote "no", that it is not too small.

In this case, though, I surprised myself and voted "yes".

Nice Watch but it is too small for your large wrist, in my opinion.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, that does look a little small to me. I'm certain to be of the minority opinion on this question, however.
Keep it, it looks great!

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk
Thanks for your thoughts. It's actually been fairly split between the family/friends I've asked but none are really collectors/enthusiasts.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, way too small in my opinion. Listed at 29mm wide - for comparison, my wife's square watch is 32mm, and doesn't look large at all on her average female wrist.

There are Cartier models that would suit you much better IMO.

Yes you are correct it is 29mm diameter and 41mm lugtolug (which isn't too bad). However, the actual dial is only 20x20mm which makes the watch wear even smaller than it is. For comparison, I have a tank basculante that is 26mm x 39mm but it's almost all dial so there's a considerably larger wrist presence and looks much more balanced on the wrist.

Cartier Basculante small.jpg

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Yes you are correct it is 29mm diameter and 41mm lugtolug (which isn't too bad). However, the actual dial is only 20x20mm which makes the watch wear even smaller than it is. For comparison, I have a tank basculante that is 26mm x 39mm but it's almost all dial so there's a considerably larger wrist presence and looks much more balanced on the wrist.

View attachment 13292489
The Basculante is good for your wrist.

If you ever decide to sell it, please kindly contact me!

Reactions: Champagne InHand

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Basculante is good for your wrist.

If you ever decide to sell it, please kindly contact me!
Thanks and yes you'll be first on my list :)

I see that you have the new 2018 santos in medium from your signature. Was wondering what you thought of it? My wrist size is 7.25 and even thought the large might be better fit dimensionally, I prefer the no date dial on the medium.

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
My wrist is small (6.4 inches) and my Cartier Santos Medium Size I think would still be a good size for your larger wrist.

Attachments

Reactions: mrroey

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Thanks and yes you'll be first on my list :)

I see that you have the new 2018 santos in medium from your signature. Was wondering what you thought of it? My wrist size is 7.25 and even thought the large might be better fit dimensionally, I prefer the no date dial on the medium.
I love non-date Watches and love my Cartier Santos Medium Size.

I think that it will be suitable even for a wrist of your size.

CRWSSA0010 - Santos de Cartier watch - Medium model, automatic, steel, two interchangeable straps - Cartier

Here is a link to my "Incoming" thread when I purchased it in April:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f481/cartier-santos-new-sihh-2018-release-incoming-4674659.html

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hi guys, shown here is a Cartier Santos Galbee. Just received it today and I'm kind of undecided on whether I should keep it or not, mainly concerned about the size on my wrist. It is the smallest watch I've owned and definitely shows, but part of me still finds it somewhat appealing and charming for its size. I'm comfortable wearing most sizes ranging from a 36mm datejust to 42-45mm pilot watches, but this one is bordering close to women's sizing. Just wanted to hear public opinion on whether it looks out of place/way too small or not. Thanks in advance for your opinions and hopefully it'll help me decide on whether to keep this or move it along.

Cheers!

View attachment 13292403
I came so close to buying this exact watch. It looks really nice. I have a vintage GP. It’s so thin and just 22mm square in 14k gold but I’ll tell you that it looks great when you have to wear a tux or dark suit. Think weddings, funerals and even black & white events.

I think the Cartier is the perfect dress watch. The Santos and the Tank are so iconic. Nobody is guessing which brand they are.

With the Santos the bracelet is as much a fashion accessory as the head and time keeping. I passed only because of the silver raised hours which while looking great, I have to consider that I turn 50 this year. Reading glasses are required and while retired early, this means I don’t get to wear my dress watches regularly. But I have always wanted a Santos for more than 20 years.

I just can’t have another dress watch that I just hold every now and then, like the ring from Tolkien’s classics.

If you are young enough, enjoy that bad boy. They applied silver hours are classier than printed ones, I just wish the black were slightly.

I guess everything effects thin. I like the curved Galbee much more than the XL 100. Just sings of class rather than “look at me!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah it's a gorgeous piece and one of my favs from sihh+basel. I do prefer my dress watches to be smaller ~36mm. For whatever reason the santos 100 just never caught my eye, I think the wide case and lumed hands made it look off. This one seems like the perfect re-issue of the galbee and love the advancements to the bracelet.

I also have a 42mm watchco seamaster coming in this week so the juxtaposition between these two will be comical.

I love non-date Watches and love my Cartier Santos Medium Size.

I think that it will be suitable even for a wrist of your size.

CRWSSA0010 - Santos de Cartier watch - Medium model, automatic, steel, two interchangeable straps - Cartier

Here is a link to my "Incoming" thread when I purchased it in April:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f481/cartier-santos-new-sihh-2018-release-incoming-4674659.html

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I came so close to buying this exact watch. It looks really nice. I have a vintage GP. It’s so thin and just 22mm square in 14k gold but I’ll tell you that it looks great when you have to wear a tux or dark suit. Think weddings, funerals and even black & white events.

I think the Cartier is the perfect dress watch. The Santos and the Tank are so iconic. Nobody is guessing which brand they are.

With the Santos the bracelet is as much a fashion accessory as the head and time keeping. I passed only because of the silver raised hours which while looking great, I have to consider that I turn 50 this year. Reading glasses are required and while retired early, this means I don’t get to wear my dress watches regularly. But I have always wanted a Santos for more than 20 years.

I just can’t have another dress watch that I just hold every now and then, like the ring from Tolkien’s classics.

If you are young enough, enjoy that bad boy. They applied silver hours are classier than printed ones, I just wish the black were slightly.

I guess everything effects thin. I like the curved Galbee much more than the XL 100. Just sings of class rather than “look at me!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't wear my tank as often as I'd like, but when the occasion calls for formal attire, it's my go to. On a suede strap it even works with a more casual look. One thing that drew me to the santos was the almost integrated style of the bracelet. While most watches have a diameter usually double the lug width, this one is 29mm to 18mm and therefore much less of contrast between the head and bracelet. The design almost looks like a one piece metal bracelet that just happens to have a built in watch dial.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts