WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How apparent are scratches in the anti-reflective coating (AR) on your PO?

• Scratches have become apparent in the AR on my PO

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Scratches are not apparent or are hardly visible in the AR on my PO

Votes: 60 88.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seriously considering buying a PO, but the thing that keeps holding me back is the likelihood that the AR coating will scratch. I know that there is a solution to use Polywatch to take off the outer coating, but for an expensive watch, I don't think you should have to do this. So my question is, how many of you have experienced visible scratches in the AR coating on the PO?

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Hey pa, I owned a 45 PO for a couple of years, never scratched it. What did bother me though, is the fact that you could spot a finger print on it from across the room. I also worked daily in a SuperOcean, which has AR coating, it also never scratched. The watch was beat up pretty bad, but the coating is still there without a blemish....Good luck.......I believe you'll have to find another reason not to buy one:-d.........................David

·
Banned
3,251 Posts
I do not know about my fellow POO members, but I have not noticed any scratches on mine. Then again I have only had it since May.

~JB

·
Banned
3,251 Posts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I have a few scratches on mine. They are only noticeable if you hold the watch at a severe angle and point it at a light source. Doesn't really bother me any more. If I don't try to look for them, I don't even see them.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Bought mine second hand with some scratches in the AR. It was one of the reason it was sold. After some elbow grease and some cheap hairspray I was able to minimize them to where they can only be seen in bright flourescent light. I haven't added any scratches in nearly 3 years of owning it, so DO NOT let this be a reason not to buy the PO because there are so many reasons to own it.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Had my 45.5 for a year, now and no indication of scratches or crazing - even up close with a glass. Bracelet shows some wear, so I know I'm not babying it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Planet Ocean Owners >who? me?<

I've had my 300 m for a while now... no dings, or scratches on the crystal at all. Bezel has a few nicks, band has a few scratches. (That's all normal wear and tear for a watch.) I've had my PO for less than a month so there's nothing on that crystal either.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I haven't had any issues>>>

but then, I don't look at my watch through a loupe. Scratches are a given so it comes with the territory.

I think if you take normal care and precautions, your watch will be fine.

Frank

·
Registered
103 Posts
AR coating on mine is fine, however I have managed to scratch the coloured part of the bezel, so it is going in to have that replaced cos I keep noticing it and its driving me mad!! :oops:

·
6,880 Posts
You'll be fine. You can always take it off if it does get scratched...

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've had mine since April I think and i haven't had any scratches. My whole bracelet is scratched all around and a few dings here and there. But the AR looks perfect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have mine for almost a yr... Wearing everyday, no scratch at all on the AR... No need to worry too much abt this. This is a tough watch... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys, had my 45mm (black bezel, orange numerals) PO for approx 8 weeks, no scatches on face - usual wear and tear on bracelet. Don't know about you but really like the blue hue - looks awesome. Also, for a big watch and compared to my Breitling you really don't know you're wearing it!!

Psi.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have been seriously considering buying a PO, but the thing that keeps holding me back is the likelihood that the AR coating will scratch. I know that there is a solution to use Polywatch to take off the outer coating, but for an expensive watch, I don't think you should have to do this. So my question is, how many of you have experienced visible scratches in the AR coating on the PO?
Had my PO for just over 3 years now. I had removed the outer AR coating about 1.5 to 2 years ago. It had a small scratch. And I really hated the way the crystal retained smudges. It is now perfect!

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
I'm not gonna say it can't happen, but I think it's harder to do than most believe. I wear my PO about 70% of the time I am at work. I have worn it on multiple SWAT callouts, tactical training at the range, and it has been on the sending end of a door ram more than a few times. I have yet to scratch the AR or the bezel. In fact, I believe the majority of the scratches on the bracelet are from sitting at my desk writing reports. I've knocked it a few times pretty hard, had my German Shepherd paw at it and rake her nails across the crystal when I was playing with her, etc. No scratches. IMO, owning a PO is more than worth the risk of worrying about a few AR scratches that you would have to be right up on to see with the naked eye. - David

1 - 20 of 35 Posts