WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Have you personally experienced a spring bar failure?

• No, it has never happened to me

Votes: 99 60.4%
  • Yes, it happened to me

Votes: 65 39.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've all heard horror stories about spring bar failures, many of us for the first time here on the forum. Yes, it instills fear and when it happens it can be downright awful, but how common is it r e a l l y?

The poll is simple - has it happened TO YOU? Not if you heard about it, not if you read about it, not if it happened to a friend or an acquaintance. Strictly if it happened to you personally. Only then can we really asses how often that sort of thing happens to us watch enthusiasts. Cause everybody has heard or read a story about it happening to somebody else, but how many of us have actually experienced it first-hand.

We've had plenty of similar topics here in the past, but it's mostly a bunch of horror stories of those that had it happen to them, or people who have heard it happen to somebody else - and that may skew the perception a bit so that it looks a lot more common than it really is. Then again, maybe it really is that common.
Hopefully this sort of poll, the way it's set up, might help set the record straight and potentially prove helpful in the future.

Please make sure to vote regardless of whether you leave a comment or not.

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Re: Poll: Spring bar failure - has it happened to you? (once and for all)

Yes, few months ago - in a Seiko Tuna Emperor - I had put a different strap on it which wouldn't take the fat Seiko bars - so a thinner bar that possibly didn't sit well in the slightly larger seiko drilled holes? anyway, watch fell to the hard floor from wrist height with a thud - amazingly watch was fine and not missed a beat

·
Registered
721 Posts
Never really thought about it until I started reading about Erika and Zulu and Nato straps......never lost a watch in 50 odd years....despite what I did with them and to them.....currently thinking about replacing my spring bars with fatter ones.... ;-)...

Having said that, I just love the Marine Nationals from Erika when travelling......

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I had a springbar failure with an old Timex many years ago. It was when I was a kid and didn’t take much care of my watches. The thing just fell off my wrist and landed with a thud on concrete. It wasn’t a big deal with such an inexpensive watch.

Now I periodically check that springbars are fitted correctly and that they are not deteriorating.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Since about 3 years ago I have not owned a single watch with spring bars. Torx screws and fixed lugs are so much more secure :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm not sure how I would go about making those checks, what to look for and all. :think:
So whenever I change straps I tug on them lightly to make sure that they are slotted in correctly. As far as deterioration, I make sure that the springbars are not bent, that they depress and expand correctly and there's no oxidation or tarnish.

·
Premium Member
61,543 Posts
No, but it should have. Some of the springbars that I used back in the day wouldn’t get house space now. Guess I was lucky.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a springbar failure on my G-shock of all watches. All of my other watches, I wear carefully. But my G-shock, I wear for while active. I saw a bunch of videos of ppl running over their G-shock with trucks and hitting them with hammers, etc. So I figured it would be safe to wear during contact sports. The case is great and indestructible, but not the springbars apparently. Lesson learned.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,052 Posts
In my pre-wis days I learned how spring bars can corrode to the point of failure with no warning. Crown and crystal needed replacement after an Omega Seamaster suddenly dropped to the pavement.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have an old Seiko H556 that I got in the mid 80s. It popped springbars pretty frequently to the point I eventually stopped wearing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Just once when the Seiko SKX got tugged - getting stuck to my laptop bag. I was on the bus, and luckily the watch landed on the seat.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Spring bar broke on my Longines Legend Diver and fell on concrete floor. The cases got some dings and scratches but the crystal was fine and is still accurate so didn’t get it fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So whenever I change straps I tug on them lightly to make sure that they are slotted in correctly. As far as deterioration, I make sure that the springbars are not bent, that they depress and expand correctly and there's no oxidation or tarnish.
Thanks for the advice. I also always give them a nice pull, to make sure they're properly attached, but that's normally as far as I'd go. Not sure I'd be able to recognize signs of deterioration other than maybe something entirely obvious, but I'll try to pay more attention.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Re: Poll: Spring bar failure - has it happened to you? (once and for all)

Yes, few months ago - in a Seiko Tuna Emperor - I had put a different strap on it which wouldn't take the fat Seiko bars - so a thinner bar that possibly didn't sit well in the slightly larger seiko drilled holes? anyway, watch fell to the hard floor from wrist height with a thud - amazingly watch was fine and not missed a beat
Assuming you haven't already, get slim-middle fat-ends spring bars, from ToxicNATOS among other places. I just got some for my Platinum Tuna. The double flange also makes removing them much easier.

Reactions: Dav25 and Simon

·
Registered
29,121 Posts
Only once back when I was into straps. Now I am a bracelet only person and have not experienced any other issues thank goodness......

·
Registered
521 Posts
I’ve had two over the years and have seen a bunch of lost watches out on dives.

The first one was saved because it was on a ZULU. The watch was flopping on my wrist held by the remaining springbar. I have no idea why it happened.

The second one, which may have been operator error on my part, ironically just happened yesterday. I noticed the pin of the springbar on the outside of the lug and then noticed the bracelet cockeyed and not flush with the case/lugs like it’s supposed to be. Thank gawd, the bracelet fit so tightly with the watch or else I’d think it would have been hit the ground. The operator error part comes in because I changed out the strap that was on the watch to the bracelet a few days before and although I’m 99% sure all the pins snapped into the lug holes, it’s possible I may have missed one.

Lastly, I’ve mentioned this a few times in other posts, but I’ve found many watches at the bottom of rock quarries where I’ve taken dives. Every one of them had only one side of the strap/bracelet attached because of a springbar failure. Unfortunately for me none of the watches were worth keeping, lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is exactly why we needed a thread like this - majority of the comments show springbar failures. And if this was a "regular" thread, it would really give out the (wrong?) impression that those failures are at best a probability and at worst a certainty.

However, looking at the current poll results, almost 2/3 of the people have never had it happen to them.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts