Votes: 29 29.6%
  • seiko sla043

Votes: 11 11.2%
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battle of the mid range divers, would be curious everyone's thoughts here. My AD has an sla037 but am wondering if that is too much to spend on a Seiko, and the BB58 satisfies a step above the spb149 itch that I seem to be developing. The sla043 provides an interesting watch to throw into the mix as well, and I do like the blue seconds hand, but the movement is a step down from sla037

Current collection includes: Omega aqua terra 38.5, grand seiko sbga413, seiko spb149

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
What a tasty dilemma. If I'm spending a few thousands it would be for a great watch, regardless of country of origin. I'd personally get the SLA043, but ultimately I think it just comes down to which one you love the most when you try them on at the AD. FWIW the 8L35 in my SBDX031 runs +1 to +2 spd, while the 8L55 in the SBEX007 is closer to +0.5 spd. They're both plenty accurate enough for me, so I personally don't find the difference in price is justified. There are other minute differences of course, but for me the SLA043 and the SLA037 are practically the same watch, save for the blue seconds hand. The lack thereof is not worth the additional $1800 to me. And I like the BB58 just as much as the next guy, was on a waitlist for a BB58 Blue for the longest time, but having owned the SLA017 for a little bit now the SLA-62MAS reissues are definitely more special IMHO. And as a fellow SBGA413 owner, we should stick together. ;) I do think if you do decide to go this route the SPB149 might be redundant, however. Good luck! 🍻🍻

·
Registered
73 Posts
For comparison, are you paying full MSRP for the 037? I only ask because the BB58, especially if you're referring to the blue dial, will have no discounts given the demand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If price is off the table, then definitely the 037. The BB58 looks nice but it's so nice that it's kind of boring, I also feel the crystal on the BB58 is not very clear. Overall, when I compared the two side by side, I felt the 037 was a step above. The price is also a step above and that makes sense. I did not see the 043 in the wild so I can't really say.

At the end of the day, even with money on the table,I also voted 037 with my wallet, not BB58 (anyway, if I was going the Tudor way, the Pelagos would get my wallet vote first).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Bb58 is my pick. The Seiko 6r35 movement has big time variation. +-30. BB58 is at another level. Get the blue bay 58 if you can. Or alternative to both is the SLA023 MM300.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
I voted 043 - not sure 037 is worth the price hike just for the hi-beat mvmnt
The BB58 is a little jewel but I prefer the higher end seiko to mid level swiss

Reactions: LosAngelesTimer

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a tasty dilemma. If I'm spending a few thousands it would be for a great watch, regardless of country of origin. I'd personally get the SLA043, but ultimately I think it just comes down to which one you love the most when you try them on at the AD. FWIW the 8L35 in my SBDX031 runs +1 to +2 spd, while the 8L55 in the SBEX007 is closer to +0.5 spd. They're both plenty accurate enough for me, so I personally don't find the difference in price is justified. There are other minute differences of course, but for me the SLA043 and the SLA037 are practically the same watch, save for the blue seconds hand. The lack thereof is not worth the additional $1800 to me. And I like the BB58 just as much as the next guy, was on a waitlist for a BB58 Blue for the longest time, but having owned the SLA017 for a little bit now the SLA-62MAS reissues are definitely more special IMHO. And as a fellow SBGA413 owner, we should stick together. ;) I do think if you do decide to go this route the SPB149 might be redundant, however. Good luck! 🍻🍻
It is so easy to go into the deep end of divers and get sucked into a black hole which knows no bounds. I thought I would be happy with the spb149, but the lack of accuracy is a bit of a stark contrast vs the spring drive sbga413. One difference I am thinking about is the sla037 is a "big year" 55th anniversary edition vs the sla043, which seems to be a non big-year limited. So are you going to pull the trigger for the bb58 if you get the call even with the 62mas? Incredibly hard decision

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bb58 is my pick. The Seiko 6r35 movement has big time variation. +-30. BB58 is at another level. Get the blue bay 58 if you can. Or alternative to both is the SLA023 MM300.

Is the blue more difficult to get than the black these days? I like both, but I know the blue is newer

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For comparison, are you paying full MSRP for the 037? I only ask because the BB58, especially if you're referring to the blue dial, will have no discounts given the demand.
It's a fair point, I don't quite know where I can get the 037, but probably will be higher cost point than bb58

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

Neither has the 6R35.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I actually prefer the look of the Seikos, but not for that kind of money. My vote is for the Black Bay

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It is so easy to go into the deep end of divers and get sucked into a black hole which knows no bounds. I thought I would be happy with the spb149, but the lack of accuracy is a bit of a stark contrast vs the spring drive sbga413. One difference I am thinking about is the sla037 is a "big year" 55th anniversary edition vs the sla043, which seems to be a non big-year limited. So are you going to pull the trigger for the bb58 if you get the call even with the 62mas? Incredibly hard decision
It's a very vertical rabbit hole. 😅😅 That aspect of the SLA037 is undeniably appealing. I actually got off the waitlist to pick up the GS SBGH255 instead. Might circle back around to it at some point in the future, perhaps when all the hype dies down. The Blue is definitely harder to get than the Black.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The battle of the mid range divers, would be curious everyone's thoughts here. My AD has an sla037 but am wondering if that is too much to spend on a Seiko, and the BB58 satisfies a step above the spb149 itch that I seem to be developing. The sla043 provides an interesting watch to throw into the mix as well, and I do like the blue seconds hand, but the movement is a step down from sla037

Current collection includes: Omega aqua terra 38.5, grand seiko sbga413, seiko spb149,,

Current collection includes: Omega aqua terra 38.5, grand seiko sbga413, seiko spb149
That is a good dilemma, Tudor's are beautiful, but after getting into Seiko with a SBDC065, then onto the updated MM300 (SLA021) and more recently a SLA039, either of the Seiko choices would be great. These are outside of the normal and mid level Seiko's we all know. These, especially the 55th Limited models, are extremely nice and well done. Surprisingly so and honestly, I couldn't be happier.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I picked up an SLA043 last week and I find it really beautiful. It is a 55th anniversary limited edition, just not in the same series as the three blue-gray dial divers. The white ever-brilliant steel really pops against the black rubber. I also find that they have been successful in evoking that Antarctic expedition vibe that they were going for with this watch (since the 62mas was used by Japanese explorers who went there in the 60s).

I

I of course find the 037 to be wonderful as well but more than the increase in cost I don’t like the increase in thickness. I also prefer the 043s black waffle to the 037s blue tropic (although changing a strap isn’t the biggest thing in the world).

As for the blue black bay 58, it’s definitely got less flash to it but I think it’s easily the most versatile of the three. I would very much like to pick one up for myself someday.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up an SLA043 last week and I find it really beautiful. It is a 55th anniversary limited edition, just not in the same series as the three blue-gray dial divers. The white ever-brilliant steel really pops against the black rubber. I also find that they have been successful in evoking that Antarctic expedition vibe that they were going for with this watch (since the 62mas was used by Japanese explorers who went there in the 60s).

I View attachment 15558960

I of course find the 037 to be wonderful as well but more than the increase in cost I don’t like the increase in thickness. I also prefer the 043s black waffle to the 037s blue tropic (although changing a strap isn’t the biggest thing in the world).

As for the blue black bay 58, it’s definitely got less flash to it but I think it’s easily the most versatile of the three. I would very much like to pick one up for myself someday.
Wow that’s a beautiful shot. Do you find the extra thickness noticeable on the 037 vs 043? The extra thickness is indeed something that I would not prefer. I have 6.25 wrist and it feels the proportions on the Tudor bb58 are just spot on

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a very vertical rabbit hole. 😅😅 That aspect of the SLA037 is undeniably appealing. I actually got off the waitlist to pick up the GS SBGH255 instead. Might circle back around to it at some point in the future, perhaps when all the hype dies down. The Blue is definitely harder to get than the Black.
Would you go for steel or on one of their straps fit bb58? Congrats on the new pick up from GS, indeed beautiful piece

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow that’s a beautiful shot. Do you find the extra thickness noticeable on the 037 vs 043? The extra thickness is indeed something that I would not prefer. I have 6.25 wrist and it feels the proportions on the Tudor bb58 are just spot on
I have a 7 inch wrist and as I wear long sleeve shirts and jackets on most days the thickness was definitely a factor. Although it can be said that these watches don’t wear as thick as the numbers imply, as they have a towering box crystal and the bezel slants downward, so they make it under cuffs much more easily than a flat piece of the same thickness would.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts