• tudor bb58

Votes: 58 59.2%
  • seiko sla037

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • seiko sla043

Votes: 11 11.2%
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

Registered
Would you go for steel or on one of their straps fit bb58? Congrats on the new pick up from GS, indeed beautiful piece
Thanks @themikey! If I circle back to the BB58 it'd definitely be on the bracelet. Despite not liking the fake rivets I think it's a very nice bracelet, certainly better than any Seiko, and the ceramic ball bearing clasp is sublime.

I am surprised by this result given Seiko forum, pretty strong showing for bb58
I've seen quite a few, even within the Seiko community, who operate under the doctrine of Seiko = low-end, Swiss = higher-end, never mind knowing what these SLA reissues are. Not commenting if the sentiment is justified or not, just that IMO the poll should be read with a grain of salt.

Registered
I鈥檓 torn as I鈥檓 mulling a SLA043 purchase myself. If the SLA043 were slightly cheaper than the BB58 then I鈥檇 go with the SLA043 easily. With the Seiko being quite a bit more expensive, I鈥檇 go with the bb58. Finding the BB58 is another issue.

Registered
I鈥檓 torn as I鈥檓 mulling a SLA043 purchase myself. If the SLA043 were slightly cheaper than the BB58 then I鈥檇 go with the SLA043 easily. With the Seiko being quite a bit more expensive, I鈥檇 go with the bb58. Finding the BB58 is another issue.
You should be able to get the SLA043 cheaper than the BB58 at many ADs. 20-25% off for a Seiko, even these LE SLAs, is common, while no ADs is likely discounting the BB58, at least the Blue.

Reactions: JCB43

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
@josayee, I think you can find the bb58 at many ADs, maybe not right off the shelf but over a 1 - 2 month wait, you should be able to source it at MSRP, at least that's what I've read and been told by my AD, for either the black or blue variant

seems the demand is high for these but the production is also high, making for the potential to acquire one

Registered
I would have to go with the SLA037 since my hands-on experience with Black Bays has been disappointing. Something about the watch just doesn't seem to work for me. The Pelagos, on the other hand, was lovely and a Tudor I'd consider purchasing.

Reactions: Laolao

Registered
Bb58 is my pick. The Seiko 6r35 movement has big time variation. +-30. BB58 is at another level. Get the blue bay 58 if you can. Or alternative to both is the SLA023 MM300.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Thank God, the movement inside the 037 is not a 6R35, it is a 8L55 and a 8L35 on the 043. Not the same animal as the 6R35.

Registered
I'm not sure how this is a contest lol. I've owned SLA037 and SLA043 (and the SLA017 lol) and have owned Black Bays but not the 58 as it is too small for me but I have handled it.

To start off - the Seikos are more premium. The fit and finish is better. Personally I prefer the styling too.

So when it comes to the Seikos the choice is between the dials. For me I prefer the SLA043 (but it MUST be on the blue rubber which is the alternative strap in the box). The SLA037 is nice also, i just preferred the more vibrant blue on the 043 plus the aqua coloured second hand.

But both the Seikos are IMHO a category above the Tudor. The fit and finish is superior. Here is a pic of my 043

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Registered
Make mine the BB58, a serious contender for the perfectly proportioned watch IMO.

Reactions: JCB43 and themikey

Registered
Given equal pricing I would go with the 037 or 017 if one could be found. The BB58 is however, significantly cheaper and has a COSC movement which delivers outstanding accuracy it is therefore considered the consummate all rounder at it's price point.

I have a thing for Hi Beats though so I would find the extra for the beautiful 037, in fact I might just act on that...

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
I'm not sure how this is a contest lol. I've owned SLA037 and SLA043 (and the SLA017 lol) and have owned Black Bays but not the 58 as it is too small for me but I have handled it.

To start off - the Seikos are more premium. The fit and finish is better. Personally I prefer the styling too.

So when it comes to the Seikos the choice is between the dials. For me I prefer the SLA043 (but it MUST be on the blue rubber which is the alternative strap in the box). The SLA037 is nice also, i just preferred the more vibrant blue on the 043 plus the aqua coloured second hand.

But both the Seikos are IMHO a category above the Tudor. The fit and finish is superior. Here is a pic of my 043

Beautiful. Does the bezel line up perfectly? I do like the bb58s thinness at under 12mm, not sure why the Seiko's are so thick, guess it is the movement.

I do like accuracy in a watch. I am not sure why even with the 8L55 movement of SLA037, the accuracy is only +15 to -10 seconds a day vs. the BB58 COSC certified (which I think means +6/-4).

I do think the dial is more complex on the 043, which I love, and the blue second hand. It's really not an easy decision, there are multiple variables at play here, from the case, movement, accuracy, dial, thickness, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Given equal pricing I would go with the 037 or 017 if one could be found. The BB58 is however, significantly cheaper and has a COSC movement which delivers outstanding accuracy it is therefore considered the consummate all rounder at it's price point.

I have a thing for Hi Beats though so I would find the extra for the beautiful 037, in fact I might just act on that...
Seems the only difference between the 8L35 and 8L55 is the 5 hours extra power reserve of 8L55 and faster movement, accuracy seems the same. Do you notice difference in sweep between the higher beat of 8l55 vs 8l35? Why else do you like the 8l55 more, almost 2k more in this case

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
I have both the SLA017 and the BB58 black.

In my opinion, the SLA017 is much nicer. No contest. It is one of my favourite watch of all time.

From the pictures I have seen, the same is true for the SLA037/043 compared to the BB58 blue.

View attachment 15560543 View attachment 15560543
What a collection.
Do you note the thickness of the sla vs bb? I have a small wrist so it seems the thinner profile of the bb would be nice. What aspects of the sla do you like more than the bb? How about vs your sub?

Registered
Beautiful. Does the bezel line up perfectly? I do like the bb58s thinness at under 12mm, not sure why the Seiko's are so thick, guess it is the movement.

I do like accuracy in a watch. I am not sure why even with the 8L55 movement of SLA037, the accuracy is only +15 to -10 seconds a day vs. the BB58 COSC certified (which I think means +6/-4).

I do think the dial is more complex on the 043, which I love, and the blue second hand. It's really not an easy decision, there are multiple variables at play here, from the case, movement, accuracy, dial, thickness, etc.
Bezel lines up on mine (the angle on the pic plus the domed crystal make it look misaligned in the pic but in real life it is fine).

Seiko is a bit thicker but it has a domed crystal too so they weren't worried about it. In reality it wears nicely. The SLA037 was a bit thicker than the 043 if that is a concern but in reality it wears superbly on the wrist

21 - 40 of 107 Posts