• seiko sla037

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • seiko sla043

Votes: 11 11.2%
41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have both the SLA017 and the BB58 black.

In my opinion, the SLA017 is much nicer. No contest. It is one of my favourite watch of all time.

From the pictures I have seen, the same is true for the SLA037/043 compared to the BB58 blue.
How does the SLA017 compare to the Sub in your picture?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
If the Seikos were at the Tudor's price it would be absolutely no contest; the BB58 would come a distant third. But in fact is less than 2/3 the price of the SLA043, and half the price of the SLA037. Given the qualities of its movement I can see why it's so popular.

However, the Tudor doesn't say good things to me; you need to do bad things to yourself to buy one in the UK, and I can never shake that association with desperation.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow that’s a beautiful shot. Do you find the extra thickness noticeable on the 037 vs 043? The extra thickness is indeed something that I would not prefer. I have 6.25 wrist and it feels the proportions on the Tudor bb58 are just spot on
I have had the SLA017 (which I did regret selling) and now have the SLA037 which I picked up from ebay a few weeks ago.. I was sceptical about the increased thickness when reading about it on its release - but in truth, I don't notice it at all. Worth bearing in mind the difference is only 0.6mm .. The SLA017 is 14.1mm and the 037 is 14.7mm.. I think the crystal on the 037 is actually not as tall as the 017. I'm sure I read in one of the reviews that they slimmed down the box crystal to slightly offset the thicker Hi Beat movement..
I would have bought the 043 as I think it looks great but when I saw there was an 037 virtually as new with tags I took the plunge and bought it. Had to sell a few to help pay for it though.. I have never had a Hi Beat before, I think the second hand looks very smooth going round almost like a Spring Drive.
Not sure it is worth the price premium over an 043 but I didn't pay the rrp, love the colour and think it is cool as...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll throw a curveball here but I'd actually go for the SLA033 used. If the price isn't really an issue I'd opt for the 037 from those listed.

With regards to the BlackBay 58, I went to look at one with the intention of buying it, but thought it was overpriced at retail. I see it as a watch in the region of £1750-£2000. I think the hype around is mainly linked to what is going on with the Rolex Submariner. I guess the logic behind it is that the Submariner is going for so and so price, which means the BB58 must be a great watch at a great price. Of course, when you realise that most of the Submariner value is wrapped up in the Rolex brand, if you do the maths - the Tudor piece doesn't seem that great value any more.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I’m
I'll throw a curveball here but I'd actually go for the SLA033 used. If the price isn't really an issue I'd opt for the 037 from those listed.

With regards to the BlackBay 58, I went to look at one with the intention of buying it, but thought it was overpriced at retail. I see it as a watch in the region of £1750-£2000. I think the hype around is mainly linked to what is going on with the Rolex Submariner. I guess the logic behind it is that the Submariner is going for so and so price, which means the BB58 must be a great watch at a great price. Of course, when you realise that most of the Submariner value is wrapped up in the Rolex brand, if you do the maths - the Tudor piece doesn't seem that great value any more.
That is an interesting curveball. For me, the sla033 would be too big for my 6.25 inch wrist.

What I am gathering from all the responses is that ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL (eg. cost), the two seikos (sla037 and sla043) would beat out the BB58. People seem to prefer the sla037 over the sla043, although there is a not-immaterial cost differential between the two.

Where does this leave me? Some more nights sleeping on it and trying to figure out the right fit, hope I can see these in person to make a better judgment. I'm leaning towards the sla043 as the optimization play between value/history/usability, the BB58 seems like it should always be there, but the sla043 and sla037 are limiteds... although we know seiko will likely produce more 62mas repros

·
Registered
284 Posts
BB58. Firstly, it looks really nice. Second, it's a chronometer, accuracy is guaranteed. Thirdly, it's likely to retain it's value and even appreciate over time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
BB58. Firstly, it looks really nice. Second, it's a chronometer, accuracy is guaranteed. Thirdly, it's likely to retain it's value and even appreciate over time.
I don’t know about value retention on bb58. I mean Tudor seems to just produce these in bulk, I can see Tudor raising msrp but would be surprised if used bb58 would see much more value retention than a used sla017, sla037, or sla043 - just my personal view

·
Registered
284 Posts
The truth is, the SLA's aren't cheap. They are expected to have GS movements for the price. If they did that, we'll now have a fair comparison with the BB. It'll be as simple as sporty vs dressy.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I don’t know about value retention on bb58. I mean Tudor seems to just produce these in bulk, I can see Tudor raising msrp but would be surprised if used bb58 would see much more value retention than a used sla017, sla037, or sla043 - just my personal view
The main concern amongst Tudor investors does seem to be the ability for that stock to deliver market-beating returns. I guess the only disappointment will be that their investment position, not being a fixed-income instrument, doesn't pay a biannual coupon.

Ah well, this week it's watches. Next week, GQ or Morningstar will run an article on something else.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I’m

That is an interesting curveball. For me, the sla033 would be too big for my 6.25 inch wrist.

What I am gathering from all the responses is that ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL (eg. cost), the two seikos (sla037 and sla043) would beat out the BB58. People seem to prefer the sla037 over the sla043, although there is a not-immaterial cost differential between the two.

Where does this leave me? Some more nights sleeping on it and trying to figure out the right fit, hope I can see these in person to make a better judgment. I'm leaning towards the sla043 as the optimization play between value/history/usability, the BB58 seems like it should always be there, but the sla043 and sla037 are limiteds... although we know seiko will likely produce more 62mas repros
Yeah - see if you can examine and try the 043 in person, then see if you can get a 15 or 20% discont on it.. I think if you can do that your mind will be made up. It's a great size - would fit really well given your wrist size..

·
Registered
193 Posts
The truth is, the SLA's aren't cheap. They are expected to have GS movements for the price. If they did that, we'll now have a fair comparison with the BB. It'll be as simple as sporty vs dressy.
But they (8L35), are GS movements - just that they are not finished with stripes, perlage etc compared to the same movement that goes into a GS automatic. Also not adjusted to same tolerance as an 8L35 in a GS..

·
Registered
284 Posts
But they (8L35), are GS movements - just that they are not finished with stripes, perlage etc compared to the same movement that goes into a GS automatic. Also not adjusted to same tolerance as an 8L35 in a GS..
You said it yourself, they're not adjusted (nor decorated, nice to have but I don't mind on a solid casebacks), so one can argue they don't qualify to be in a GS watch. Like a standard ETA is not the same as a top ETA.

One can have a GS for less so why can't Seiko put a better movement?

·
Registered
70 Posts
My understanding with these two Seiko movements, the 8L35 and the 8L55, is they are still extremely nice well made and finished movements, just not finished as nice or adjusted as well as the GS versions. I have both and they run about +5 a day fast. Seems reasonable to me, though I do wish Seiko paid greater attention to adjusting and marketing the high end watches and movements better. I think it would help them emmensely especially for watches over $2500.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
My understanding with these two Seiko movements, the 8L35 and the 8L55, is they are still extremely nice well made and finished movements, just not finished as nice or adjusted as well as the GS versions. I have both and they run about +5 a day fast. Seems reasonable to me, though I do wish Seiko paid greater attention to adjusting and marketing the high end watches and movements better. I think it would help them emmensely especially for watches over $2500.
Agreed. The movement is excellent; why Seiko doesn't just complete this final step and tune the movement for better performance (of which it's more than capable) doesn't make sense. I can understand it in the lower-price watches; after all, most of their competition isn't COSC-rated and doesn't perform much better - but not at $4000+.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So i called up my local AD and they had both the sla043, sla037, and the spb149 in stock (i already have the spb149, but it was nice to have all 3 side by side for comparison).
After seeing in person, I do like the sla037 the most, I think the dial being a more grayish blue has the right gradient of blue for a classic vintage dive watch recreation; the sla043 is a bit brighter, and I can see why some don't like the bright blue seconds hand of the sla043. I also thought the strap of the sla037 felt softer, although it is nice that the sla043 comes with two straps. I also liked the polished sides of the sla037, although some purists may prefer the brushed sides of the sla043. Finishing seemed superb on both.

What is my final conclusion after seeing both? Well none of them really sung to me. Felt a bit thick, it might have partly been the plastic that the watches were wrapped in. I get the history of the Seiko dive watch and the quality of the sla, but no doubt the Tudor brand name probably entails more prestige (although I shouldn't care about that - I can't help it). Next to do: See the bb58 in person in both black and blue. Who knows, maybe after seeing the bb58 I will come back to the slas, but for now my seiko diving itch has been scratched with the spb149.

Attached are some pics, please excuse the plastic wrap around the watches and gloves I am wearing - store policy. I also tried on the sla049, which was way too big for me, but nice to see in person.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I guess you can’t really go wrong with any of these choices.

I think you really can’t tell how nice these watches are at ALL through the plastic though. The selling points are largely fine details that need to be seen directly with the naked eye or maybe with magnification.

As much as I like the blue hand on my own watch, that sort of thing is better as part of a larger collection (I also have a thing for different color second hands, with a gs with a red hand and another gs with yellow).

One more pic of my new baby.

And a bathroom mirror shot to show how it wears on a 7 inch wrist and the appearance with fluorescent lighting.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
So i called up my local AD and they had both the sla043, sla037, and the spb149 in stock (i already have the spb149, but it was nice to have all 3 side by side for comparison).
After seeing in person, I do like the sla037 the most, I think the dial being a more grayish blue has the right gradient of blue for a classic vintage dive watch recreation; the sla043 is a bit brighter, and I can see why some don't like the bright blue seconds hand of the sla043. I also thought the strap of the sla037 felt softer, although it is nice that the sla043 comes with two straps. I also liked the polished sides of the sla037, although some purists may prefer the brushed sides of the sla043. Finishing seemed superb on both.

What is my final conclusion after seeing both? Well none of them really sung to me. Felt a bit thick, it might have partly been the plastic that the watches were wrapped in. I get the history of the Seiko dive watch and the quality of the sla, but no doubt the Tudor brand name probably entails more prestige (although I shouldn't care about that - I can't help it). Next to do: See the bb58 in person in both black and blue. Who knows, maybe after seeing the bb58 I will come back to the slas, but for now my seiko diving itch has been scratched with the spb149.

Attached are some pics, please excuse the plastic wrap around the watches and gloves I am wearing - store policy. I also tried on the sla049, which was way too big for me, but nice to see in person.

View attachment 15563953

View attachment 15563956

View attachment 15563958

View attachment 15563959

View attachment 15563964

View attachment 15563965

View attachment 15563961

View attachment 15563963
Thanks for sharing the pictures! These are very handy for anyone deciding between the two. The SLA037 is definitely the classier looking of the two IMO. On a side note, the SLA039 is such a beauty, I'm very tempted!! Looking forward to hearing what you think of the BB58.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I guess you can’t really go wrong with any of these choices.

I think you really can’t tell how nice these watches are at ALL through the plastic though. The selling points are largely fine details that need to be seen directly with the naked eye or maybe with magnification.

As much as I like the blue hand on my own watch, that sort of thing is better as part of a larger collection (I also have a thing for different color second hands, with a gs with a red hand and another gs with yellow).

One more pic of my new baby.
View attachment 15564002
And a bathroom mirror shot to show how it wears on a 7 inch wrist and the appearance with fluorescent lighting.

View attachment 15564009
Thanks for sharing. That bubble sapphire crystal and dial is gorgeous

41 - 60 of 107 Posts