WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What price limit are you comfortable to wear as an everyday watch?

• up to $100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • up to $200

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • up to $300

• up to $400

• up to $500

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • up to $600

• up to $700

• up to $800

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • up to $900

• up to $1000

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • up to $1200

• up to $1400

• up to $1600

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • up to $1800

• up to $2000

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • up to $2500

• up to $3000

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • up to $4000

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • up to $5000

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • greater than $5000

Votes: 69 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see some beautiful watches on this forum, but some I would not want to wear as an everyday watch.
I might be comfortable wearing them as a dress watch for dinner/occasions but not everyday.
I would be worried they might be damaged, lost, stolen, swept overboard a boat, sucked up into a tornado...
Ok maybe I wouldn't be that worried, but you get the point...

Now the limit at which people might become uncomfortable wearing a watch everyday/frequently will undoubtedly be different for each person.
Factors influencing that limit might include the person's attitude to risk, their disposable income, the quality of their insurance policy, etc.

So as a quick game, I thought we might experiment and see if we get a normal distribution on this, or whether there is a bias towards a particular price point due to the classy people we get on this forum ;-)

A good check is to ask yourself - what value watch do you wear as your everyday now? Would you be comfortable going much higher than that?

Vote away!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You were too quick for me - I was still filling in the options on the poll part of the post :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've ticked $5000 because I think that is roughly what an AT now costs. Mine was an engagement present from my wife so I would feel bad not using it. I am a criminal lawyer so I am at court a lot but it generally doesn't pull too many glances as it is usually at least partially covered by suit or shirt cuffs and I happily wear it on leather or bracelet.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Crossing a street is a "risk"......But I do hold my left arm over my head,if I get hit by
a car the watch might be safe. I know your next question, buses, we don't have any.....;-)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If it's not too expensive to buy, it's not too expensive to wear ;-)
For you guys maybe.
For others, we might not be as comfortable wearing our PP Calatrava to the gym...
;-)

I'm thinking it will be different for everyone.
For some any watch in their collection is ok for everyday risks.
For others they might reserve their more expensive watches for special occasions...

Another factor influencing that might be the difference in what happens to each person 'everyday'.
A lumberjack might have a different daily experience (read: level of risk to watch) to a marketing executive.
For the marketing guy every day might be 'dress-up day'...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have only one 'nice' watch, an Oris, and Ive worn it almost every day since I purchased it. The only times Ive worn my beater watches have been when I was expecting a lot of physical activity. When I buy another 'nice' watch, I intend to wear it as much as possible as well. My feeling is, unless the watch is an investment, the only way you get your money's worth is to wear it as much as possible.

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
Depends on where I work and how I commute. If I still lived in Brooklyn where I typically took the subway home sometimes late at night I wouldn't wear an expensive watch or dress flashy at all, I would probably wear a G-Shock or some cheap thing daily. But now that I live in the exurbs and drive to work I would wear what I can afford, for now that's up to $1000 for a watch.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I get watches to wear not to store.

I wear my Aerospace as primary beater watch (found it to be more comfortable than my g-shock - I wear g-shock for really rough work like painting, etc. but Aerospace for everything else - Tennis/Hiking/Biking/etc)

I have been wearing all my watches in regular rotation no matter how much they are. That is primary reason for me getting watches "pre-loved", all the depreciation have been taken up by previous owners. Also, I have seen some case polish work by RGM/IWC/etc. And I know that they do work wonders for MOST of the "everyday" wears/tears.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
For you guys maybe.
For others, we might not be as comfortable wearing our PP Calatrava to the gym...

;-)

I'm thinking it will be different for everyone.
For some any watch in their collection is ok for everyday risks.
For others they might reserve their more expensive watches for special occasions...

Another factor influencing that might be the difference in what happens to each person 'everyday'.
A lumberjack might have a different daily experience (read: level of risk to watch) to a marketing executive.
FYI I'm not a rich guy, and my watches aren't that expensive.

What I meant was: I bought the watches, so I'm going to wear them. What's the use of owning a $ 4000 watch and have it laying in a drawer?

Of course, I don't wear my Planet Ocean when playing ice hockey, or on holidays to countries where I'd feel unsafe wearing it.
Working an office job in a safe environment, I can wear any of my watches most of the times.

Cheers,
Rob

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
For me, it's more the type of watch than the price. I'd hesitate to wear my Monaco everyday; acrylic crystal, blue alligator strap that would be costly to replace, extremely high sentimental value; it was about $5,000 then, probably a similar one is a bit more than that now. But, if I had a Rolex Sub C no date (~$7500) or DeepSea (~12,000), I wouldn't be bothered about wearing one everyday because they're very tough watches.

Reactions: shemp55

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Alas, your 5k limits places Rolexes, Omegas, Panerai, And Breitlings (and many others) "over the Top" - brands that are primarily made for daily wear.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree with the 'buy them to wear them' sentiment, but my collection is only still in the growing stage. I'd say that 10k usd and under is fine for a watch to be worn in the daily rotation. That's what we have insurance for, right?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
813 Posts
But, if I had a Rolex Sub C no date (~$7500) or DeepSea (~12,000), I wouldn't be bothered about wearing one everyday because they're very tough watches.
Totally agree, I've been wearing my DSSD all week. Today in the office on a nato strap.

Tool/Sport watches for me at least get much more frequent wrist time. I just don't do enough formal stuff to warrant a dress watch.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
For you guys maybe.
;-)

This, I don't work in manual labor, I work in an office setting so the only real risk I see is door knocking. I would have no problem wearing any of my watches on a daily basis. The only factor I consider is aesthetics and how I'm feeling so I wear my Nomos, FC, or Cartier most days.

When I go camping or hunting I want a hardy watch so I always take my SMP, no question.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My daily wearers are a Tag Carrera and a Speedy Pro. I would be comfortable wearing either every day, I'm not sure why price makes a difference. If you are spending so much money on a watch that you're afraid to wear it, don't buy it in the first place. I think we can all agree that buying watches is a poor investment, so why bother even buying one if you won't wear it?

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
I don't think about the price of my watches much. The only time I do is when I go to some economically distressed areas of town to do some mentoring does it cross my mind to swap to a less expensive watch. I certainly have watches that are not daily wearers, but that's more because of style not price.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
My Omega Geneve is relatively cheaper than some of the other pieces but consider carefully before bringing it out, the difficulty to source parts for service and the sentimental value on it prevents me from doing so.
If my planned activities for the day poses obvious risk to mechanicals (rarely), it would only be logical to substitute them with the G-shock.

Its more about picking the right piece for the right situation rather than the price imho.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts