Votes: 10 71.4%
  • steel franken

Votes: 4 28.6%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im about to buy a Universal Geneve Polerouter watch tomorrow, i have two options, one is a gold plated watch all original in meticulous condition. The other is stainless steel, good condition, all parts are autentic from Universal Geneve Polerouters but together they dont belong to the same watch, they are of different production years. Like the dial came from on polerouter, crystal from another, case from yet another etc etc. They are the same price, if you have to buy one, which one do you go for? The steel one looks very harmonious, if you dont know about polerouter you wouldnt know its a franken, and I hate plated watches

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I would opt for the plated watch. I think the watch that has been “messed” with less has the better future, operationally. I am assuming that the plating was originally of decent quality, ie., the thickness was good.

I think the Polerouter is a watch that can look very sharp in gold.

·
Premium Member
71,508 Posts
I like a bit of gold on a dress watch but I can see the argument in favour of getting a steel one. If it was me I wouldn’t go near the Frank.

·
Registered
31,617 Posts
Frankennwatches are generally to be avoided when buying vintage, and you don’t like gold plate, and I’m with you on that one.

So why not wait for an original Steel one to come up for sale?

Reactions: Zeroedout

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I kinda get the impression you’re looking for a little reinforcement for wanting to go with the frankenwatch?

Ok, bear with me for a second. I may be waaaay off base, but let’s see if I can bring this thing full circle.

I mean, if you “hate” plated watches....the plated one shouldn’t even be on the table, right? It’d be kinda silly to buy a watch you hate.

And if you simply posed the question: “Should I buy this frankenwatch?”....I think we all know the overwhelming consensus would be a resounding “NO!!!!”

But you’ve got an itch, and you wanna scratch it....and right now that frankenwatch is the closest stick you can find. So you concocted a scenario that you thought would yield the answer you’re looking for; a poll that would make the franken seem like a reasonable, rational purchase.

Like I said, I may be way off the mark here. But if any of that hits a nerve....you gotta bail out now. Just wait for the right one to come along. All too often, when we pick up the first stick we see to scratch the itch.....we end up with a nasty-ass infection that hurts for a long, long time.

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
You should have added one more category "Neither, an original Polerouter Stainless Steel version"

However, if you are set on buying a Universal Geneve Polerouter without searching for a stainless steel version in excellent condition, then go with the gold plated original model,

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
It sounds like you are trying to decide between two watches, both of which (to you) are substandard--why are you compelled to choose either? Why not just keep looking for something that does check all the boxes?

That said, I don't know the watch, but personally, if it looks and runs great and is not all that expensive, I would have no problems with a "franken"--but that's me.

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,052 Posts
"Franken" to me is when you have a Universal movement in a Bulova watch case. If it's all Universal OEM parts, I'm okay with that.
I respect that the Polerouter is a coveted model in the vintage watch world. I acknowledge that a vintage Polerouter that can be shown as all-original will command a higher price from the collector. But I don't think Polerouters will ever become like Submariners, where bezel inserts and dials and other parts are scrutinized to the degree they currently are. Yes, there are a handful of collectors who care that much about all-original Polerouters, but I have owned several different watches that picked up new hardware over the years.
One of my IWC Titan chronographs has a dial from 1982, and a case that dates to 1989, with a bracelet that was first available around 1992. It was assembled by IWC in 2001 as an upgrade to the early watch, which may have had a broken bracelet (common among early examples). I still bought it, and I was one of a few collectors who could have discerned the differences. Few interested in the Titan model would have cared. I also have a Titan that has all its original hardware from the first year of production in 1981. Here again I am one of a handful of Titan admirers who appreciate it. Others couldn't care less.
So if you're speculating on the Polerouter market in the future and hoping it takes off in demand like some other models (Nina Rindt Compax chronograph for example), take a pass and keep looking. If you just want a Polerouter and the steel one looks nice, and you don't care about originality in terms of resale, grab it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. Turns out I misunderstood and status of the steel one. It was from what I could tell all original, expect dial and case back in much poorer condition than the plated one. Needless to say i went for the steel because the price was really right given the circumstances.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Franken" to me is when you have a Universal movement in a Bulova watch case. If it's all Universal OEM parts, I'm okay with that.
I respect that the Polerouter is a coveted model in the vintage watch world. I acknowledge that a vintage Polerouter that can be shown as all-original will command a higher price from the collector. But I don't think Polerouters will ever become like Submariners, where bezel inserts and dials and other parts are scrutinized to the degree they currently are. Yes, there are a handful of collectors who care that much about all-original Polerouters, but I have owned several different watches that picked up new hardware over the years.
One of my IWC Titan chronographs has a dial from 1982, and a case that dates to 1989, with a bracelet that was first available around 1992. It was assembled by IWC in 2001 as an upgrade to the early watch, which may have had a broken bracelet (common among early examples). I still bought it, and I was one of a few collectors who could have discerned the differences. Few interested in the Titan model would have cared. I also have a Titan that has all its original hardware from the first year of production in 1981. Here again I am one of a handful of Titan admirers who appreciate it. Others couldn't care less.
So if you're speculating on the Polerouter market in the future and hoping it takes off in demand like some other models (Nina Rindt Compax chronograph for example), take a pass and keep looking. If you just want a Polerouter and the steel one looks nice, and you don't care about originality in terms of resale, grab it.
exactly what i was thinking, thanks for the understanding. Good thing it worked out in the end and it wasnt a franken at all, just poorer condition...... got lucky there i guess

1 - 14 of 14 Posts