WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My first post here! :)
I just found this forum searching for info about Casio watches, and started to read threads after threads and searching a bit. A very nice resource indeed!

I was in search of a radio controlled watch, and also one I haven't to worry about breaking. Most G-Shocks are a bit on the "too big" scale for my taste, but then found about the so called Polygon, the thinnest of the G series, and it seems very very nice.

What worry me a bit is the readability: not even mention the reverse model, but the positive one too leave me some doubt. I have the chance to seeing it "in person" just for a few seconds, and I haven't had to time to make up my mind about it. I had a trusty old Casio F-105 with me usually, and that just seems much more readable (maybe it have to do with the number of segments that forms the numbers).

So I was searching for some first hands opinion on it, by some others persons that have one.
Other info about the general feel of it, pro & cons are very welcomed too.

Many thanks,
Bye!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The readability of the GW-056E was much better than I anticipated. And I like it a lot.

Here is mine.

However, the readability I find much better on this one. GW-5500-1JF

I hope these pictures help.

Asfalloth

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I have the non atomic/solar G056 polygon with negative display. It's arranged a bit differently but otherwise similar, with the numbers being made up of lines. The negative display on these is awful IMO. It looks pretty cool in the right light, but rarely seems to be in the right light. :roll: I'd definitely go for the normal display with this type.

PS. Is negative display the same as reverse display? I've always assumed it means the same thing, but that just got me wondering.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Personally, I think the 'venetian blind' numerals are a bit of an aberration on Casio's part. Good to see them experimenting, but I don't think this one works (as Asfalloth's pictures demonstrate very well).

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
This is the display on my G056 poly. The photo is slightly blurred, but this actually makes the numbers look more solid and clear than they actually do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the watch today (I bought it from a German eBay seller - much better prices than here in Italy and the service and the watch was absolutely perfect).

I have to say that all the doubts that I had have vanished: I find the digits very easy to read, and I actually like the stripes effect. The design also is very pleasing. In reality it make a very different impression than in the photos.

Bye!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I'm glad you like it. :-! It is quite a nice 'dress G-shock' and as much as I'm not keen on the stripy numbers, the display does look good in the right light. (not to mention it has the referee timer features ;-) ).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I wear my reverse display G-056 at least once a week but I must confess I tend to use the light on it more than on any other watch. ;-)
I must get a positive version when my list gets a bit shorter.

Congrats on the watch Mark0 :-!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to mention. The polygon come displaying a perfect time. In fact, it synchronized himself with the German DCF77 signal that morning at 03:02, while being probably somewhere in a store room, in a random position.

That should speak "reassuring" about the receiving quality.
In fact, the watch synched flawlessy each morning, even with some pretty strong weather. I'm near Venice, so it's about 560KM from here to Mainflingen.

Bye!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have the Rastafarian model and the legibility is good for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts