WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Affordables
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've written a few hours ago about my project of a Poor Man's Speedtimer (Pogue) asking where I could source a custom printed bezel.

In the meantime the watch was delivered to me coming all the way from Japan lightning fast shipping!! (posted Friday, received in France the next Wednesday), and astonishingly high "customs clearance fee" from the French Post Office (55% of the value of the watch). Anyway...

I've started cleaning/modding the watch: removed the red round patch at the center of the internal side of the crystal, polished scratches off with some Polywatch, and placed a temporary pepsi insert onto the watch to show the look I'm targeting...

This is the watch I initially received:

Now with its new 'Pogue' look, which strap matches it better among the following four I have: Alba Aka (the original one), Casio, Timex, or mesh?

Please vote for your favorite, tell me why you think it's best, or give me other alternatives if none is good!
Watch lug is 18 mm ; the Alba and Casio tapper from 24 to 18 ; the Timex from 22 to 18 ; and the mesh is constant at 18.

Nicolas

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The Timex, if you can find a 20 mm version w/ same taper. Same w/ the Casio (Oyster) 20 mm w/ taper. I love shark mesh but it doesn't work w/ the Pogue (IMO), really needs a taper. Stock bracelet, nope doesn't work for me.

Maybe an EO style (black w/ yellow stripe) or single pass blue NATO?

Watch Gecko has vintage rivet bracelet in 18 mm for fair money, keep the 'vintage look'.

Or the diver perennial diver rubber strap

·
Registered
Timex, Shinola, Movado, Elgin.
518 Posts
I think either the Casio or Timex as well. They just seem to look better with that watch. In my opinion the mesh doesn't quite work with that watch for some reason, and the stock bracelet is really not matched well with it. Just my thoughts, others may disagree.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The transition from the lugs to the wide links on the Timex or Casio would bother me. More than the tapered link on the original, or no wide link on the mesh.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For me, you a need a bracelet that tapers from 18 to 16. A seiko sports with straight end links.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Yellow dial AKA on US "Chrono" bracelet.

I actually use the bracelet on a Seiko 5 mod, and prefer the vintage look of the stock AKA bracelet, but since I have both...

·
Registered
Affordables
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
8,786 Posts

·
Registered
Affordables
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uncle Seiko - see the link I posted, previously.
Ah yes, thanks. Unfortunately, as it is a US-based company and I'm in Europe this will cost me more than the watch all with shipping, VAT, taxes, customs, customs taxes, VAT taxes etc. :(

·
Registered
Affordables
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Aka would have been killer in the case and bezel of my Q Timex Reissue, if it were not for the lack of pushbuttons and most importantly misalignment of the stem...

·
Registered
Affordables
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I think I'm all set on the look of my Poor Man's Pogue, at least for the moment (I doubt I can find a better -perfectly dimensioned- insert...)

Thanks to fellow WIS @mconlonx I have put it on an Uncle Seiko wide-link bracelet and I've just received today its not-perfect-but-better-fitting pepsi bezel insert from AliExpress:

It was a fun project, but still the need for a real Pogue is there, so we'll see how I manage to resist it with this placebo

Nicolas

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
That watch looks very cool. There’s just something about the red, blue and yellow that pop!

I love the original Pogue, but the prices keep climbing higher and higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Affordables
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That watch looks very cool. There’s just something about the red, blue and yellow that pop!

I love the original Pogue, but the prices keep climbing higher and higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! It's a JDM Seiko Alba V657-6030. You can find several on eBay for $100, coming from Japan (I snagged mine for about that price including EU VAT+taxes). With the Uncle Seiko bracelet and the insert I'd say all in all it's not too bad an homage for $160

You are right about the Pogue, prices are going crazy, I hope it's a bubble because I don't see myself spending a grand on a redial non-original movement non-original insert heavily polished case as I see it happening currently

1 - 18 of 18 Posts