WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Steinhart Pilot Chronograph a couple of weeks ago. There was a cold or something going around in their shipping department, so shipping was delayed. When they did ship, I received a shipping notification but it did not have a FedEx tracking number. It took two emails to them spread over two days to get the tracking number. This morning when I looked, it was stuck at the depot in Memphis, Tennessee because there was no contents description provided. I noticed this early in the morning and emailed Steinhart, asking them to contact FedEx. Steinhart is 9 hours ahead of me, but it was still 2:30pm there, yet it didn't happen.

This is not like them. This is my fourth watch from them, and they have always been very prompt and helpful.

Bummer.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
You know you can call FedEx and they will send you the paperwork to fill out, right? Then you don't have to wait for Steinhart.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called FedEx and then my son, who works for them. The issue is that the shipper has to provide a form to FedEx, which FedEx gives to the government. My son says it happens all the time - but Steinhart should know by now that this is necessary.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Both orders I've made with Steinhart, I call FedEx, filled out the form and returned it. Got my watch the very next day in both cases.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Good luck either way. Wasn't trying to be a troll. It is frustrating. I almost wish they would let Gnomon be their full time retailer to avoid all the shipping issues.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No prob. Wonder if I stop in at Kinkos if they'll give me the form. The FedEx guy I talked with this morning said that it was out of my hands.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I ordered a Steinhart Pilot Chronograph a couple of weeks ago. There was a cold or something going around in their shipping department, so shipping was delayed. When they did ship, I received a shipping notification but it did not have a FedEx tracking number. It took two emails to them spread over two days to get the tracking number. This morning when I looked, it was stuck at the depot in Memphis, Tennessee because there was no contents description provided. I noticed this early in the morning and emailed Steinhart, asking them to contact FedEx. Steinhart is 9 hours ahead of me, but it was still 2:30pm there, yet it didn't happen.

This is not like them. This is my fourth watch from them, and they have always been very prompt and helpful.

Bummer.
Bad luck, timing was not in your favour, Steinhart office being closed every Friday at 12 for the weekend

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/lieferung

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello BothellGuy - nice to see a fellow washingtonian (Maple Valley here)

My Ocean 2 Black arrived today and was also delayed by the bug that was going around their office. Someone else on another thread mentioned they had a similar issue with FedEx, but in the end, it turned out that FedEx lost/found the form, so your issue may not be Steinhart's fault

Michael

·
Registered
620 Posts
My Ocean One Vintage Chronograph is currently sitting in customs waiting for that import form to be acknowledged. It arrived into customs without it yesterday.
I've been told by Fedex that Steinhart did email the form to them upon request so I'm waiting for paperwork to catch up now I suppose.

This is my 3rd Steinhart order and the first I've had any issue with... the prior two came through UPS. I don't know if the issue is Steinhart or Fedex, but I'd wager a batch got sent out without the correct form included.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just happened to me a few days ago too. Talked to a lady at FedEx who emailed me the watch worksheet. I filled it out and emailed it back 15 minutes later and in about an hour the package was off and running.

If you check out some of the recent threads you'll get details. Just make sure the 3 watch component values equal the invoice total (not including shipping), you can leave it EUR, just note that on the form. No need to convert to US dollar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What does being sick have to do with filling out the right forms? Delay, fine. Cant fill out the right forms after coming back? Pffff.

·
Registered
620 Posts
What does being sick have to do with filling out the right forms? Delay, fine. Cant fill out the right forms after coming back? Pffff.
Minor stumble by a good brand that has worked to take care of customers pretty hard over time. My watch spent an extra day in customs... not the end of the world.
I'm not willing to write off a brand over a minor issue such as that.

Could it have been prevented? Sure, it likely was an oversight by someone rushing to get orders out the door. But at the end of the day, I have better things to stress about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's fine, but there are way too many posts from people giving Steinhart a free pass on shipping and customer service problems. Support your brand is one thing, but come on, out of the entire watch making enterprise, the shipping and responding to email is probably one of the easiest part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is FedEx that you're talking about. You didn't expect first rate CS from them did you?
No, it isn't. The shipper is responsible to provide all documentation to clear customs. This includes getting the proforma invoice, HSC coding, forms, etc correct. FedEx typically just transports the items for you, and when there is a problem, they function as your agent to clear it up (otherwise good luck getting it at all).

Doesn't sound like you do much international shipping? I don't either, but I do enough to know what needs to happen, and how annoying it can be when it stops at customs due to a form. I use mostly DHL and FedEx for my International shipments, and about 1/3 of the time when I have customs issues, FedEx handled it pretty well. The other 2/3s of the time, I am on the phone with them to make sure they provide the right level of service--because I am paying for it, and I expect it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Blaming Steinhart for another SOP Fedex f..k-up is unfair.

Fedex hold the parcel, ask for the form and when it is forwarded to them they suddenly discover the already have it in the shipment, old story.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts