WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was recently at a friend's house and saw what looked like a Porsche World-Timer Tourbillon. The watch was PVD coated with two smaller red dials and a black dial.

I didn't have time to inspect it but it had what appeared to be a tourbillon where the tourbillon cage usually would be... he is not a WIS or anything like that although he is quite wealthy but the entire affair caught me off guard, and I had little other than a few glances at the watch. I can't seem to find anything online but did Porsche Design indeed make a tourbillon world timer? Online all I can find are offers for replicas but nothing concrete or something similar to the model I saw. Could it be possible to simply showcase the balance wheel in such a way? Or was that a genuine tourbillon movement?

Regards,

malioil

·
Premium Member
20,789 Posts
It was probably a replica which had an open heart movement, which simply means that the balance wheel is exposed on the dial side.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
i believe the porsche design watches are made by richemont, so there certainly are resources to make the tourbillon.

·
Premium Member
20,789 Posts
i believe the porsche design watches are made by richemont, so there certainly are resources to make the tourbillon.
Where did you get this information? This does not seem to be the case if this page on the Richemont website is any indication:

Compagnie Financière Richemont SA - Our Businesses

The joint venture with Ralph Lauren is noted at the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Don't hold me to this but I seem to remember seeing a prototype Porsche Design watch with a tourbillion but I don't think I ever saw anything where it was actually produced, maybe just the one as a exercise in HH. That said the counterfeit industry has on occasion made fakes of prototypes, I have seen them of a Tag piece and the Rolex Deep Sea Challenger for example.

·
Registered
559 Posts
You should ask your friend. If it is a tourbillon he should at least know, if he doesn't, you know it's likely a replica w. open heart.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Goggle images 'Porsche tourbillon' and see if it looked like one of those.
Well obviously! The only thing I found that looked similar to what I saw were fakes... but this guy drives a Phantom, so I can't be live he'll be wearing a fake. I'll ask him next time I see him, but all my Internet searches for a similar timepiece came up moot and the tourbillons I saw from porches design looked nothing like it.

On another note I too wear their glasses and though I wouldn't buy their watches (are they still made by Eterna? ) I can attest to the quality of their sunglasses, as I own two.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,096 Posts
Goggle images 'Porsche tourbillon' and see if it looked like one of those.
It is interesting to see what is offered when you Goggle this.

·
Premium Member
20,789 Posts
I was under the assumption that iwc still made the watches for Porsche design,
As noted by some others, Eterna was the most recent OEM for Porsche Design. IWC produced these back in the 80's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts