WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone PM me with any experience (good or bad) they have had with watchhand.com?

Their web site gives the impression of being a very reputable company and indicates they offer new watches with full papers, serial numbers, and two year factory warranty at good prices. Is this possible for an internet company?

I visited a local AD today and they offered a 15% discount. I like the idea of dealing with an AD, but don't know if they will provide any better service if buy from them vice an internet provider.

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
14,560 Posts
Could someone PM me with any experience (good or bad) they have had with watchhand.com?

Their web site gives the impression of being a very reputable company and indicates they offer new watches with full papers, serial numbers, and two year factory warranty at good prices. Is this possible for an internet company?

I visited a local AD today and they offered a 15% discount. I like the idea of dealing with an AD, but don't know if they will provide any better service if buy from them vice an internet provider.
Hi, LAXDad. I PM'ed you with an AD reference from whom you will actually receive the two year factory warranty, excellent service and excellent pricing. Internet companies (grey market) buy overstock and or older (new old stock) pieces from SOME AD's at deep discount and sell at less margin than AD's so they can often sell for a very good price. Sometimes and on certain models, they can't. Manufacturors understandably frown on the practice and discourage it (pulling dealer authorization at times) because it can and will lower the perceived "value" of their product. The factory warranty will only be honored by the manufacturor if the piece is registered by the AD for the buyer or the owner with proof of purchase from an AD. Bottom line, an internet seller cannot register the watch for you and proof of purchase from that seller won't obtain the warranty for you either. Grey marketeers provide their own 1 or 2 year warranty using their own watchmakers or contract the warranty work out. They do not send the piece to the manufacturor for warranty service. Breitling simply won't accept a non-registered piece for warranty service. That said, a very large discount in price can make the grey market purchase attractive for a couple of reasons beside price. One, the likelihood of service being necessary in the first years of ownership is low. Second, there are many excellent watchmakers capable of performing basic service functions on a large variety of watches. Where you run into trouble is when a movement has a subtle problem (like Elliot's date change issue) which may require replacement of the entire movement. Grey marketeers can NOT acquire the extensively re-worked and COSC certified movement which Breitling installs in their watches. It is as simple as that. Buy your ticket, take your chances... ;-) :) Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ron

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, LAXDad. I PM'ed you with an AD reference from whom you will actually receive the two year factory warranty, excellent service and excellent pricing. Internet companies (grey market) buy overstock and or older (new old stock) pieces from SOME AD's at deep discount and sell at less margin than AD's so they can often sell for a very good price. Sometimes and on certain models, they can't. Manufacturors understandably frown on the practice and discourage it (pulling dealer authorization at times) because it can and will lower the perceived "value" of their product. The factory warranty will only be honored by the manufacturor if the piece is registered by the AD for the buyer or the owner with proof of purchase from an AD. Bottom line, an internet seller cannot register the watch for you and proof of purchase from that seller won't obtain the warranty for you either. Grey marketeers provide their own 1 or 2 year warranty using their own watchmakers or contract the warranty work out. They do not send the piece to the manufacturor for warranty service. Breitling simply won't accept a non-registered piece for warranty service. That said, a very large discount in price can make the grey market purchase attractive for a couple of reasons beside price. One, the likelihood of service being necessary in the first years of ownership is low. Second, there are many excellent watchmakers capable of performing basic service functions on a large variety of watches. Where you run into trouble is when a movement has a subtle problem (like Elliot's date change issue) which may require replacement of the entire movement. Grey marketeers can NOT acquire the extensively re-worked and COSC certified movement which Breitling installs in their watches. It is as simple as that. Buy your ticket, take your chances... ;-) :) Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ron
Could you PM me with a good dealer? I am about to purchase a SA for $3200, and if an AD isn't too much more, I will probably go that route. However, if the watch has serial numbers, Breitling will service it (but you must pay).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the explaination. All things being equal, I intend to live with this purchase for a while, and would prefer to be able to have the factory warranty and the ability to have it serviced by BUSA when possible. I know I may have to pay a bit more for that priviledge.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Thanks for the explaination. All things being equal, I intend to live with this purchase for a while, and would prefer to be able to have the factory warranty and the ability to have it serviced by BUSA when possible. I know I may have to pay a bit more for that priviledge.
There is alot to be said for the warranty.
When a routine servicing for these watches can run ~$500 you have to get a really big discount to warrant buying from a non-AD

On the other hand as Ron mentioned you can get a deep discount from a non-AD who is clearing out inventory for an AD. THe warranty may still apply (ASK!!!). This was the situation with my gold cosmo. I called the seller after his auction on the bay ended. He explained his situation and that the warranty would be applicable. He picks up pieces dealers can't move and deeply discounts them. We negotiated a price a couple of hundred $ bellow his auction start price. And I picked up the Cosmo for $5100 ($9500 list). :-!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow....sharp watch and an unbelieveable deal! I have seen some pretty good deals on the bay, just have a difficult time figuring out which ones are legit. Glad to hear there are some honest deals to be had. If you wouldn't mind sharing the name of the seller via PM, I'd be interested in keeping an eye out for a future deal like yours. Love the pictures on this forum. I'll have to get my Nikon out and start practicing!:-!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts