WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm on the cusp of buying this Oysterdate, and as the title suggests finally buying my first decent dress watch!

First of all, however, I was hoping to tap your generosity of spirit in order to get your opinions on the authenticity of this watch.

Obviously it has had the dial repainted and an aftermarket strap fitted - but to be honest this is the look I am after in a dress watch and I (think) I understand the effect on value.

I am hoping to get this as a 30th Birthday Present to myself and style wise it is perfect for me - I just want to check I am not being robbed...

Many thanks for your help/advice.

Ronoir

1974s Black Vintage Rolex Oysterdate Winding Steel Unisex Watch 6466 Uhr Montres | eBay

74181.jpg 74182.jpg

·
Registered
507 Posts
If the springbar is sticking out of the lugs, as it is on this watch, it usually means that the lugs are very over polished.<|
That seems to be the case here.(pun intended) I'd wait for a better one, and an original dial. You can always replace a dial, but over polishing the lugs destroyed the case. A replacement case will be prohibitively expensive for a watch you have no special connection to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much - as it transpired someone bought it whilst I was waiting for responses, so I have potentially avoided a problem there! Will keep looking.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Looks like a 32mm. Not sure if that size would work for you so that might be another problem you've avoided.

Jeannie

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I was looking at that very same watch, thinking about buying it too. I wound up buying another one, but not for that reason.

A couple other things to keep in mind about that watch:

- No quick-set date. This would be a MAJOR pain. You'd either have to keep the watch wound all the time, or crank through all the dates each time you wanted to wear it. I've been told that setting the time backwards doesn't work on the olds ones, as the date goes backwards too.

- It's 34mm or smaller. Some are 30mm, which is quite small for a man these days.

Keep your eyes peeled. Follow those auctions to find out how much they go for. Then look for one with a Buy it Now for that price. You may also want to look at ones from the USA, even if they say don't say they'll ship to the UK. I bet if you offer to Buy it Now and reassure them it isn't so hard to ship to the UK, they would take you up on it.

Lately, I've had MUCH more luck selling watches internationally than in the US. It makes me wonder what all I missed out on when I only sold to the continental US. I just sold a very nice $100 watch to an Argentinian guy, who was happy to pay the $39 for shipping and insurance. Another guy just asked if I would ship to Italy. (lots of sellers won't ship there, as things have a tendency to disappear on the way) I told him of course I would, but he has to pay for insured shipping. (it will be $42 or so)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks - your advice is gratefully received!

I shall be keeping my eyes peeled, and will be considering buying from overseas too now - many thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts