WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I have a low-end Swatch Irony (1999) that I bought ten years ago... it's nothing special, but it has sentimental value and I'd like to get it working again if possible.

The crown is missing, you can see the stem (?) sticking out a bit (see pics). Is it possible to replace the crown? I'm not sure how it would be attached, though. Also, the battery cover is missing, but I guess this could always be improvised. (Piece of tape? :-d)

I did take it to a Swatch dealer but for such an old watch they didn't really have too many options for me.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I've been lurking for a bit, I bought an Orient CFT00003D thanks to a review I read here. I love it. This is a great forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
A couple of suggestions:

-root around at a few independent watchmakers in your town. Most have boxes of old watches tucked away...you might get lucky and find a similar watch from which to cannibalize parts. They could probably install a crown of some sort as well.

-check out thrift stores and pawn shops. You might find a similar watch for parts

-check eBay for a similar watch, again for a parts source.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
The hard part will be getting the crystal off the back of the watch without damaging it. Once that's done, you'll have to replace it making sure that it's still water resistant~Good luck! ;-)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, all. I'm definitely gonna look into your suggestions. Beau8, which crystal are you referring to?

·
Banned
17 Posts
Hello All! I have a watch with similar construction. Model # is YNS401 from Irony series. From what I can see the only way to access the innards is to open the dial window or the battery hole (if it is possible!). Crown got stuck to a clothesline and came away. I couldn't find the crown. From that day, watch is stuck in that position. Similar to OPs case, this is a gift from best friend and I would love to bring it back to life. If you need pictures, let me know. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

P.S: Edited the model #.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts