WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Sumo for Christmas yesterday and it worked for about 12 hours but when I woke up at 6:30am this morning and looked at my wrist I noticed my watch still said 12:05. I tried shaking and winding but the second hand won't move more than three for four seconds before it stops. Bought the watch from HIGUCHI-INC SHOPPING SITE. I emailed them this morning but I know its night time in Japan.

Any thoughts or suggestions of something I'm missing? Also, has anyone had to send a watch back to higuchi for exchange and how did it go?

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
Sounds broken to me, if the mainspring is completely unwound it may take 30 seconds of shaking or a bunch of turns of the crown to get it moving, but once it gets going, putting it on should fully charge it relatively quickly. I never bought from Higuchi but he has a good reputation I'm sure he'll take care of you.

I saw my mailman deliver my sumo by launching it about 9 feet from the bottom of the porch stairs to my front door, luckily no damage.

·
Premium Member
14,911 Posts
Could be the mainspring, a fix a watchmaker could handle, but annoyingly enough its impossible for someone like me who isn't a watchmaker to fix.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
It happens from time to time. Higuchi's reputation is spotless.I've purchased from them multiple times in the past & he will take care of you.
If your like me patience is HARD for me esp. concerning timepieces

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Sounds broken to me, if the mainspring is completely unwound it may take 30 seconds of shaking or a bunch of turns of the crown to get it moving, but once it gets going, putting it on should fully charge it relatively quickly. I never bought from Higuchi but he has a good reputation I'm sure he'll take care of you.

I saw my mailman deliver my sumo by launching it about 9 feet from the bottom of the porch stairs to my front door, luckily no damage.
I have a friend who had that happen with a big screen TV. Needless to say it was broken. Returned it for another. Same thing happened. Both times were UPS. The third TV was delivered by an independent company that carefully brought it into the house for her.

Not sure who eats it with this kind of damage. She got a refund on the broken TVs, but somebody paid for the damage. I guess the retailer could make a claim with UPS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the watch and the dealer based off of the fantastic reviews from this forum on both. I'm sure they will handle it and make it right. Hopefully it doesn't take too long as patience is difficult. Thanks for the comments and reassurance that higuchi will make it right. It is a bit nerve wracking to have a brand new watch stop and the dealer is half way around the world from you.

Thanks again all and I'll try to keep the progress updated as it may help someone in the future.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Things like this happen......Hope it's resolved fast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought I would try to give a play by play for anyone in the future that has a similar problem and nervousness like me. :) That way they will be able to see exactly how it was resolved and what to expect.

higuchi has responded and asked for a different email address as he seemed to be having trouble with my email carrier. I have provided a gmail account which he uses and asked for. Took about 24 hours for response but that is mostly due to the 14hour time difference. I am now waiting on his response via gmail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Higuchi asked that I mail the watch back and says he will send it to the factory for a replacement. He also asked that I write seiko watch for repair on paper.

I know language is an issue here. Should I be expecting a new watch or a repaired watch? Also should I have to cover the shipping back since it is brand new?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Just ask him to clarify if he is sending you a new watch, or having your current one repaired. Also, ask him for a refund of your return shipping fees. He's a good guy. I've bought a Sumo from him before with no hassles, but never had to return a watch to him either. But based on everything I've read, his reputation is sterling around here. You should be fine.

Bummer about your new watch. Hope you get a new one on your wrist shortly!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

Seiko winding is incredibly efficient and you'll NEVER need 30 seconds of shaking. From my experience, it shouldn't take longer than 10 seconds of shaking and it will the run for minutes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Emailed higuchi asking for clarification but haven't heard back yet. I mailed the watch back on Saturday the 28th and it is in transit. I'll update again when it arrives or I hear back from higuchi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't heard back from higuchi directly but the watch was delivered to him just an hour or so ago and he has already refunded my shipping cost. So far he seems to be every bit as good as his reputation on this forum. I will update again once I get an email or shipping notice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Follow up: Higuchi emailed me and they have shipped a replacement Jan. 16th. I will update once recieved and confirm if it is a new watch or the same watch repaired. So far so good. It's been hard to be patient but over all hasn't taken that long considering the shipping back and forth. They received the watch on Jan. 6 so it took about 10 days for him to get a replacement from the factory and get it in the mail. Again, my reason for continuing this thread is for the next person that has an issue. That way they can get an idea of the process to get everything resolved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Final update: received a replacement watch today and it is a new watch with a different serial number. Took about 3.5 weeks total to get a replacement. Higuchi lived up to his great reputation.

If you find yourself with a problem. Fear not. Higuchi will take care of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts