WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

The past two times I've worn my '56 Hammy K-455, it has stopped on my wrist. This is frustrating because all the other times I've worn it this hasn't occurred. Granted, both times I haven't been moving much (studying for finals) and I simply shook it to get it going before I put it on. It has the Hamilton 661 movement (which is actually a Kurth Freres 28.45). Does the rotor only spin in one direction?

Is this just a lack of getting the watch going? I prefer not to manually wind it. The watch was serviced near the end of last year, so no issues there.

Everything is probably a-okay, but I figured I'd ask.

Watch in question:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I had a Hamilton with that movement. I think it winds in both directions, but for some reason, the rotor assembly got gummed up and wouldn't wind the watch. It would run okay for a day if I manually wound it. Eventually I took it apart and cleaned the movement and it has been running fine since. Ron

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the the info. I'd like to think that if my watch was gummed up, it would have started doing this a long time ago.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If all it takes to get the watch going again is a bit of motion, and it keeps running for more then an hour after, you can probably rule out something in the winding mechanism. When the watch stops, make a note of the position of the hands; you might find that one of them is lightly touching something; just enough so that if the watch is in the right position when it happens, it stops the movement. If you can't see anything like that, it's likely a piece of dirt or fiber that has found its way into the movement, and occasionally jams up the gears.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,227 Posts
Hey fellas,

The past two times I've worn my '56 Hammy K-455, it has stopped on my wrist. This is frustrating because all the other times I've worn it this hasn't occurred. Granted, both times I haven't been moving much (studying for finals) and I simply shook it to get it going before I put it on. It has the Hamilton 661 movement (which is actually a Kurth Freres 28.45). Does the rotor only spin in one direction?

Is this just a lack of getting the watch going? I prefer not to manually wind it. The watch was serviced near the end of last year, so no issues there.

Everything is probably a-okay, but I figured I'd ask.

Watch in question:

Nice looking Hamilton. Lets check how efficiently the rotor is working by estimating the working power reserve. Wear the watch for a week when you are not staring at books and notes - and no handwinding. Then take the watch off note the time and let it run down completely. I'm thinking the power reserve should be 38 to 40 hours.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should I wind it before I wear it? Because I never do.

When I take it off and let it run down completely the power reserve is NEVER near 38 to 40 hours. I don't know what it was like before that because it was my grandfather's. After it was given to me, I immediately had it sent out for service (late last year). I did not run it beforehand. It hadn't been run in maybe 40 - 45 years before I started wearing it.

I'll try wearing it for an entire day. I hope there isn't a real issue.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,227 Posts
Should I wind it before I wear it? Because I never do.

When I take it off and let it run down completely the power reserve is NEVER near 38 to 40 hours. I don't know what it was like before that because it was my grandfather's. After it was given to me, I immediately had it sent out for service (late last year). I did not run it beforehand. It hadn't been run in maybe 40 - 45 years before I started wearing it.

I'll try wearing it for an entire day. I hope there isn't a real issue.
If it was properly serviced a year ago it should still attain full power reserve. Please don't wind it beyond a turn or two to get it running. A one day test won't tell you anything about the efficiency of the rotor. Just wear it for 10 hours per day for 5 days.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I apologize for slipping over 'no handwinding' the first time you said it. :-x

Will report back once I'm able to wear it.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe I'm going to be wearing my Hammy tomorrow morning and throughout the day. I should be moving around enough that it should not stop if something isn't wrong, though that still doesn't explain the power reserve. :think:

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been studying today, but I've also been moving around quite a bit. Nevertheless, the watch has stopped twice.

I guess I'll just put it away for now and figure out what to do later. :-(

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
try handwinding even if it is a auto movement most companies still tell you to handwind now and then. most movements will only top it up. when winding just take a note of how many turns it takes, then wear it without handwinding and if it stops then handwind it again and count the turns again and compare it to the first time. if it takes less turns to fullywind you must have a movement problem if it takes same amount as turns you must have a rotor problem. also can you hear the rotor going round if shaken slightly.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
if it was also serviced only a few months back let the person who did the service sort it out. you should have at least a year warranty off the guy that serviced for you

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can hear the rotor going around just fine..

Also, I gave it two hand winds to get it going after it stopped the first time.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Hey fellas,

Key sentence in bold.

The first thing in troubleshooting is to look back on the last time the mechanism in question was working and what has been done since it started not working.

Several things may be the problem: 1) hands touching each other (service related), 2) hands touching the crystal (was the crystal replaced?), 3) the minute hand bumping into a raise hour marker, or 4) a stray fiber in the works (introduced when the case was opened).

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Key sentence in bold.

The first thing in troubleshooting is to look back on the last time the mechanism in question was working and what has been done since it started not working.

Several things may be the problem: 1) hands touching each other (service related), 2) hands touching the crystal (was the crystal replaced?), 3) the minute hand bumping into a raise hour marker, or 4) a stray fiber in the works (introduced when the case was opened).
The hands don't appear to be touching or touching the crystal (the original crystal was replaced) and nothing appears to be touching a marker. However, I'll have to check in the morning.

I'm guessing it's a stray fiber, but there's no way to know right now.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hi

Sorry to hear of your Hamilton troubles. I had a problem recently with one of my watches that might also apply. My watch had also been recently serviced by a professional. In my case the screws that hold the dial to the movement had loosened (or not been very tight) and the dial would 'ride up' and stop the second hand. It did this mainly when the watch was face-up because gravity pulled the movement down. I am not certain that this could happen to a watch with center seconds but I thought I would mention it.

Hope it is nothing serious. Good luck in your studies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts