WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Slightly on topic. I've been on the fence for a while regarding Royal Oaks, but had a chance to try on a friend's 15300 and I instantly fell in love. They're really beautiful watches.

·
Premium Member
IWC chrono: Pilot or Porsche Design Titan
4,628 Posts
Years ago I had a moonphase calendar model at 36mm. It was a beautiful watch, but too dressy for my taste.

I’m more of a sporty chrono guy myself.

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
What annoys me about the Royal Oak are those impossible screws.
They are impossible.

Because they're not screws.

The case is intended to represent a porthole, so they're integral to the look. I wasn't crazy about them, but I've come to like them. I'd rather have a narrow bezel, but this is probably my favorite wide bezel.

If I had to pick a "most beautiful"...mind, you have to understand I love flipping through the GPHG artistic watches every year...hm. That's really hard. :) Breguet 7147. Hermes Arceau Tiger. Vacheron's City Lights and Dance School models. Can't forget the Eichi II.

·
Premium Member
13,183 Posts
Nice but fragile movement, I woud rather have a day date or the new cellini with moonphase over it

·
Registered
553 Posts
They are impossible.

Because they're not screws.

The case is intended to represent a porthole, so they're integral to the look. I wasn't crazy about them, but I've come to like them. I'd rather have a narrow bezel, but this is probably my favorite wide bezel.
I know they can't really be screws, obviously, but they have a falseness about them as a consequence. Why not just have a circular hole with a circular head? And if you have to resort to falseness to make the design work, there's something wrong with the design, like putting engine cooling vents or a radiator grill on an all-electric car.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Definitely not my bag, but I have to admit the pic in the OP makes it look pretty nice. Though there are some truly inspired looking watches in the high-end forum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
What annoys me about the Royal Oak are those impossible screws.
They should have simply done away with the slots that kinda imply they are screwheads but being seated in hexagonal holes reveal they are actually not. Mixed signals, bad design thought process.

Reactions: StephenRG

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
I suppose I might be in the minority but I find the Royal Oak less than attractive. The angular lines, the "screws" in the bezel, the textured dials - none of it is to my taste.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
They should have simply done away with the slots that kinda imply they are screwheads but being seated in hexagonal holes reveal they are actually not. Mixed signals, bad design thought process.
I hear you. I think the angle of the slots adds to the octagonal design.

It's a stunning watch but I'm detered by the fragile reputation of the movement (not to the mention the atmospheric pricing). Not saying I haven't browsed 37mm 15450 listings though. Dangerous.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts