WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here I am. Two thousand two hundred posts (2203, really) on this great forum and where does my collection find itself? All over the place, that’s where. I have some watches that I hadn’t planned on buying and I have others that I sometimes think of selling. Yes, a watch nut’s life is a mass of contradictions, changes in plans, buyer’s remorse, seller’s regret, unexpected bargains, surprising rip-offs, last minute bids, and an ever-evolving collection of wristwatches.

“I will concern myself primarily with Omega Seamasters and Constellations of the late 1950s and early 1960s, possibly covering the years 1956 to 1964. If I happen across an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch at the right price, then that would be great, since they will always sell. I might get a Bond Watch over the Internet if the price is right.
Possibly, I might invest in an Oris or two for future sale, but this could be more long-term. If there are any other unusual or interesting pieces going cheap, I may give them some thought. These timepieces may need to be held for up to five years to see any profit.”

I wrote that back in 1998 when I started a watch collecting journal. What a wide-eyed innocent I was. I was in over my head. How naive. Still am, in many ways. I’m still discovering watches that I never would have looked at twice a few years ago. Things like ‘60s Universal Geneve Polerouters and Tri-Compax chronographs and 39 Jewelled Girard Perregaux Gyromatics. I’ve gained a greater respect for brands like Longines and IWC in recent years because I ‘stopped to smell the roses’ where these brands were concerned. Working for an AD for the last ten years has given me a close look at a lot of watches and it’s allowed me to decide a little more definitively which watches I like and which ones I don’t. And, of course, tastes change as well. Ten years ago, I wouldn’t have looked twice at an IWC Portuguese Chronograph. Nowadays, I think it’s one of the cleanest designs on the market.
Now where does my collection stand at the moment? It’s a mish-mash of styles in some ways, a pretty conservative mix of low to mid-priced brands with a fair few vintage pieces thrown in. A couple of ‘error-of-judgment/moment-of-weakness’ purchases, and a little heavy on the dive watches, but that’s a favourite type of watch for me. Also, since my last SOTC post (Post No. 1100, I think), I have acquired a couple of Grail pieces too.
So put the kettle on, grab that six-pack, break the seal on that Single-Malt or smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

And, widdout foider adoo, here’s whut I got.

(1) WYLER Incaflex hand-wound, circa 1968(?)

My Dad’s watch, pictured here with his glasses and Gillette Safety razor from 1961. I use the razor, but the glasses...well, they belong to another time. They’d look great on me if I were Peter Sellers or Michael Caine circa 1965.
My Dad had this watch on a Spiedel-style expanding bracelet, which I loved because it represented what I thought a grown-up’s watch should look like. I used to see a lot of watches on men’s wrists attached to these expanding straps. Not that I really tended to notice these things when I was a kid. However, as I got older and various uncles and family friends came round on Sunday afternoons and the surface of the laminex-topped dining table became populated with long glasses of Abbott’s Lager or Victoria Bitter and the ashtray filled up with the butts of Viscount and Senior Service cigarettes, I subconsciously noticed the type of wristwatches that these men wore. They were either on leather straps or expanding bracelets.
One thing about these bracelets, though- they can tend to wear away the ends of the lugs just from constant rubbing against them. That’s one thing I’ve noticed on some customer’s watches since I started in this industry.
But about the Wyler, I don’t wear it often because it’s 32mm and even on my 6.5 inch wrist, that’s a tad small. Still, it goes without saying that it’s a keeper. I removed the expanding bracelet in order to preserve the lugs.

(2) ORIS Miles Tonneau Day Date, circa 2002
I looked at my small collection seven or eight years ago and thought that it was missing a square or rectangular watch. This Oris had that classic ‘30s tonneau (barrel) shape to it that I thought would make a great dress watch for when my wife and I would go out to dinner for two and other cool things that couples do, etc. Our son was a year or two old when I got this Oris and since then, she and I have been to the movies three times, dinner twice and shopping on four separate occasions. And I never once wore this watch on any of those occasions. Henry, my Father-in-law saw this watch once and commented on how nice it looked. I found the box for it and gave it to him. I figured somebody should get some use out of it. He wore it for about 8 months before he was diagnosed with cancer. He gave it back to me to give to my son, Jack, when he gets older. My Father-in-law hadn’t been wearing it much because it kept stopping on his wrist. I got the watch checked out. It was working fine, but Henry, by now mostly bed-ridden, wasn’t moving around enough to keep the watch wound. This one’s from me to Pa and from Pa to you, Jack.

(3) ORIS Modern Classic, circa 2006
This Oris was another watch designed to fill a hole in my collection, namely the two-tone watch hole. This piece measures 37mm in diameter, small by today’s standards, but a nice size for my wrist. The steel and rose gold plating makes for a nice combo, but I wasn’t a real fan of the bracelet...

...so I put it on a strap last week. Nice dial work on this one.

Sitting next to it is..

(4) OMEGA Seamaster Hand-wound, Cal 420, circa 1955(?)
The Omega was purchased off the ‘bay for about $125AUD and it’s gonna need some serious work, I’m sure. This vintage takes care of the ‘hand-wound Omega watch’ category and my watchmaker mentioned that it had the collectible Calibre 420 housed within. I don’t know if he was pulling my leg or not, but I’d be curious to see how this watch runs when it’s all cleaned up and re-dialled. Unless I can find a replacement new dial for it, that is. Needs a new second hand, methinks, but I could be wrong. Lord knows there are more knowledgeable folk among you who would know for sure if this second hand is the proper length or not.

(5) OMEGA AquaTerra Co-Axial 36mm, circa 2005
I was going to start saving up for a pre-owned Rolex DateJust when I saw pics of this watch on the web.

And then I thought about it and decided that I wanted a new watch that would have every scuff and scratch on it inflicted by me. It took me just over a year to pay for this watch and it was worth every minute of it. The Co-Axially Enhanced Calibre 2500C under the hood runs approx +2secs fast per day.
This watch has a rich deeply polished black dial that reminds me of the bonnet of a freshly waxed Maserati and, as such, it’s very tricky (for me, anyway) to get a decent shot of the dial without any reflection. Dammit, that first picture makes the hands look golden. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but they are actually silver.

Yeah, that picture didn’t work out either. That’s okay. This watch has to be seen in person to truly get an idea of how lustrous the dial looks. I can’t record it on camera. Definitely another keeper, this watch is an equal tie these days for the title of Desert Island Watch.

(6) OMEGA Speedmaster Professional, circa 2007
One small step for one man, twenty-four steps for me from my front door to the edge of my drive-way where this shot was taken.

Not really much to say about this watch that hasn’t already been said better by some folks here. I will say, as I have in the past, that the moon landing/NASA aspect of this watch is not what holds such allure for me. I love this watch because it is an iconic mid-Sixties chronograph and, every now and then, I can separate it from the “First Watch Worn on the Moon” tag that it’s had for the last 41 years.

After I took these photos, I was walking back into the house and I said to my wife; “Sometimes I think about selling this watch, but it’s such a classic piece.”
“Don’t be an idiot.”, she replied.

I was gonna go to the Moon, but my shuttle needs a new transmission. A little fiddling around with Microsoft Office Picture Manager and ta-dah, dark side of the Moon. Sort of. Notice how the tyre tread of my wife’s Toyota mimics the tread of the lunar buggy? And is that a piece of moon-rock? Nah, it’s better than that. It’s concrete.

(7) OMEGA Seamaster Automatic, Cal 562, circa 1963
This one’s a keeper no-matter-what. I bought it about ten years ago from Joe the Russian (he claims to be Hungarian, but I dunno. Whenever he says; “Come bek negs veek. I vill feex eet, no problem.”, the wanna-be secret agent in me gets a distinct impression that he’s from Severodvinsk province judging by the lilt in his consonants. That’s okay. The wire-tap will confirm my suspicions.
Oh yeah, the watch. On the right in the photo. Near perfect original dial with very, very, very mild pitting or spotting. A couple of deepish scratches on the case-back where the tool slipped after it was last serviced about 7 years ago. This watch forms part of my ‘Omega Movements Trilogy’ since it contains the well-respected Calibre 562 inside. I don’t wear it much, but it ain’t going nowhere.

It goes nicely with the...

(8) TUDOR Oyster hand-wound, circa 1963
My wife found this in an opportunity shop for $50. On the left side of the photo. The crown threading was stripped, the crystal was scratched to hell and the watch was covered in plaster or paint. Another $350 of mine and it turned out like this. The dial was in great condition. The hands are a little discoloured, but only if you look real close. She has sometimes told me that I should sell it, but it came from her so it’s a keeper.

(9) OMEGA Seamaster 300m, Cal 1120, circa 1999
The Bond Watch. Well, really, I should have said ‘The Brosnan-Era (every film except “Goldeneye”) Bond Watch’, but you get what I mean, right? As much as I wanted a Rolex Submariner back then, there was no way that I had the money, or rather, the discipline to save up the money, for a Sub. And since the Bond films were back after a six-year hiatus, I wanted what was new and hip and cool. I just waited four years to buy it.

This November will make 11 years since I bought it. I wore it solid for the first six years that I had it before alternating with other watches. It’s never been serviced and it’s currently running about 4 seconds slow per day. This is an outstanding watch and a modern classic for the Omega brand that deserves its place in the company’s history. One of the first ‘dressy dive watches’ to hit the market and perhaps the best. Another keeper.

(10) OMEGA Seamaster Automatic Chronometer, Cal 564, circa 1969
I hadn’t planned on buying this one, but eBay had other ideas. So much has been written on these forums about the Constellation Chronometers from the ‘50s and ‘60s that it came as a surprise (to me, at least) that the Seamaster range had also produced a Chronometer version. When I saw this on the ‘bay, I thought it was a smart looking wristwatch, and COSC-rated, too. The dial has a little discoloration to it and I’m in two minds as to whether to send it to Bienne for the full spa treatment or not. That would no doubt be a pricey exercise. Might be worth it, though.

(11) TUDOR OysterPrince Date, mid Seventies(?)

This came off the ‘bay. It had a black re-dial, but that didn’t matter because I changed it over to a blue linen dial. Turned out okay. Not exactly perfect, but I’m happy with it. Now all I have to do is find a decent Oyster bracelet for it.

Oh Yeah, I bought another hat a couple of weeks ago, too. It’s a Czech-made shorter-brimmed fedora from Huckel. Keeps the rain off my scalp since my hair started going South about eight years ago.

Still, it's come in handy when it's windy, too.

(12) OMEGA Seamaster 300 (WatchCo edition/re-build/homage) Cal 552 from circa 1967
This watch has quickly become a favourite of mine. It was a Grail piece for the last six years. I had seen numerous poorly-treated models and quite a few Vietnam-era fakes sell for reasonably big dollars on eBay. In the end, I figured it was safer to get one from Robert at WatchCo rather than risk getting a fake.

Not everybody’s cup of tea, I know, but it’s such a great looking watch. Besides, I have plenty of other watches with enough history to fill an encyclopaedia so I feel that I can forgive the’ Nexus 6 Syndrome’*, or lack of memories, that this watch possesses.
*I just made that up! See “Blade Runner”, Dir: Ridley Scott, 1982 for some form of clarification...or further confusion.
And the beauty of the Seamaster 300 is that it can’t be mistaken for a Rolex Sub...except by a total watch noob. And who gives a rat's what they think, anyway?

(13) TAG HEUER Formula 1, circa 2008
Any watch collection can do with at least one quartz watch for those times when you just want to pick up a watch and go without worrying about re-setting time and date. I think this is a nicely designed watch (far left in photo below). I wish the bezel didn’t have the numbers going all the way around, but that’s a minor quibble. Two-hundred metres water-resistant makes this an ideal watch for holidays where it can be knocked around a little. This one is a beater, but I can’t really bring myself to scratch it up just yet. Wimp.

(14) TAG HEUER Aquaracer Chronograph, circa 2008
I love the layout of the dial on quartz chronos and this one reminds me of all of those watch dial close-ups from “Die Hard 2” (Dir: John McTiernan, 1990).
Admittedly, its design is beginning to show its age...

With a contrasting electric blue and silver panda dial, it makes for a nice summer watch. If I could just pry the next watch off my wrist long enough...

(15) OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean, Cal 2500C, circa September 2005
Another keeper and the tie with the AquaTerra for the coveted title of“Desert Island Watch”. This one is the 42mm model and personally, I think it’s as good as a modern Rolex Submariner. Still has a distinct design that can’t be confused with the Sub. Being the current Bond watch, I often wear it to work with a suit, despite what some customers say. Love those arrow-shaped hands. This is my second PO (long story which I will tell you all when I am out of this industry) and it runs just slightly out of COSC specs at +7 seconds per day. I still have a year left on the warranty and this watch may just take a trip to Bienne before July 2011. We’ll see. There are numerous fantastic photos on this forum of this watch, taken by some very talented photographers, so I'll try to dazzle you with my effort.

(16) OMEGA Seamaster Automatic Bumper, Cal 351, circa 1951
This is a nice watch and it completes the Omega ‘movements trilogy’ that I told myself I just had to have. I always find it funny when this watch gets a little shake and I can feel the bumper movement winding within. It feels like there’s some huge screw loose inside the movement. This was another purchase from Joe the Russian/Hungarian. He had the dial repainted by this guy who does good work, but who operates on a variation of the Model T Ford principle: “You can have any dial color you want as long as it’s silver.”
This watch originally had a gold dial, but there was a huge blemish across the nine o’clock side. Since I buy these things for my enjoyment rather than resale value, I decided that I wanted the dial to look better. He did a great job with the blemish, but the lume left a lot to be desired. You can see that the 12 o’clock lume markers are not a perfect match. No big deal. I’ll get him to remove the lume entirely at some point.

(17) SEIKO SKX031 Automatic, Cal 7S26, circa 2003
I looked at my small collection seven years ago and thought to myself that I needed a beater, a watch that I could trash when riding my mountain bike, going to the gym or working on the house and garden. Needless to say, this watch is still in pretty clean condition, which says more about how little mountain biking and gardening I’ve done over the years. Still, it’s been a great watch to wear. I’ll be putting this watch through some torture this coming weekend. My wife and kids have booked us in for a “Tree Adventure” day. I’ll be strapping on a harness and zipping across tree-tops on a flying fox for Father’s Day! Apparently, it’s quite a big pastime in France and this course is run by a couple of French ex-military dudes. Fantastique! So I’ll be wearing one of these two. Actually, now that I think about it, I'll be putting myself through some torture this coming weekend instead.

(18) SEIKO 7002 Diver Auto, Circa 1993
The watch nailed to the council fence post (Shh! I was never there, okay!) is a Seiko7002 diver from May 1993, if the eBay Seller is to be believed. It’s got pretty much all new after-market parts and it’s the Singapore-assembled model which means (I hope) that it probably won’t be a collectible watch in future. It cost me a whopping $41.ooUSD and I got plans for this one.

I purchased these from eBay and then I swapped the chapter rings over like this. I plan on using the blue dial along with the orange chapter ring.

The kind of color combo I’m going for is what I would call the poor man’s IWC Aquatimer.

It might work, it might not. But let me ask the 3 of you that are still reading a question. Take a look at this close-up shot of the blue dial.

See the smudged/disfigured number ‘1’ that should be part of the ‘17’? Should I send this dial back for a replacement? Or should I not worry too much. Given that this will be a true beater, I’m inclined to leave it be, but something tells me that every time I look at this watch, I’m gonna notice the shonky number. What do you think I should do? Bear in mind that I’ll have to take the dial to a watch-maker to have it fitted and he won’t be doing it for free, so I’m trying to minimise my costs here on this project. Even spending another 5-10 bucks on posting this dial back to the seller is gonna irk me a little. What do y’all think I should do?

(19) SEIKO Prospex Air Diver Titan, Cal 7S25, circa 2007
This watch absolutely screams modern Japanese design, IMHO. The kind of watch an Anime character would wear.

Nice blue dial, angular design and a great attention to detail. I had planned this to be a beater, but like the TAG Formula 1, it looks too nice to trash.

Hang in there, folks. I'm nearly done. You're doin' great, btw!:-!

(20) ZENO Explorer (FAKE!), circa 2008
Thanks to a thread here by M4tt regarding what watch Ian Fleming actually wore, I got bitten by the Explorer bug. Not having the funds for a genuine Rolex 1016 Explorer, I chased around the web for the Zeno equivalent. I almost bought one of these about six years ago from Eddie Platts at Timefactors. Looking back, I should have. I managed to find this watch on www.tacwatch.com and immediately snapped it up. And then I did the research. It’s quite messy, but it turns out that there were two other companies manufacturing Zeno watches under licence of Zeno in Switzerland. Or so I thought. There as actually only one company making watches under licence. I contacted tacwatch and voiced my concerns, saying that I liked the watch, but since it was a Chinese-made copy, he should refund me half the purchase price. He assured me that it was the real deal. Fine, I thought. He’s either blissfully unaware of what he’s selling or he’s lying to me. Not to sound cynical, but I think he was lying to me. I did a little more reading up on this about six months ago and found a new forum post by somebody who had done better research than I on this subject.
Basically, I have a fake. A cheap, crappy nothing-to-do-with-Zeno-in-Switzerland-what-so-ever, fakeroonie.
So what did I do? I put it on a Bond NATO strap with a few extra holes burned in it and gave it to my son to wear to help him learn how to tell the time. I told him he didn’t have to be gentle with it and if it broke, then that would be okay. I could always get him a MKII Vantage to replace this.

Moral of the story?
(A) Do your research.
(B) Wherever possible, look on the bright side and turn lemons into lemonade.
Oh, and (C) don’t buy anything from www.tacwatch.com.

(21) SINN 103 St Sa Chronograph, Cal 7750, 2009
Another Grail watch that I had been after for five or six years. I loved the whole pilot’s/military look of this watch and the Sinn brand represents great value for money.

I’m wearing this watch as I type and this one pretty much ticks all the boxes regarding what I would want from a chrono;
-200m water-resistant
-anti-reflective sapphire crystal
-screw-down chrono pushers
-day and date (in German!)
-bi-directional countdown bezel
Great watch. It brings out the anti-terrorist in any man.
For more info and pics, see my review-
https://www.watchuseek.com/f67/sinn-103-st-sa-chronograph-review-336237.html

(22) Lanco hand-wound, Cal 1380, circa 1952(?)
This one arrived only a few days ago. I stumbled upon this type of watch about six weeks ago. My collection was lacking something with a sub-seconds dial, and I had looked at both Omega and Longines vintages before deciding that I wanted something a little more...obscure.

I saw a lot of watches of this type on eBay. A great many of them were coming out of South America or Florida in the States and were badged as Cuervo Y Sobrinos. The name rang a bell. From what I could gather, Cuervo was an importer in Cuba. I don’t know if they just did jewellery, but it would appear that they took lesser known brands such as Lanco, Delbana and Vulcain and signed their company name to the dial along with the words “Sole Importer”. In Spanish, of course.

My Dad's Wyler had the same thing going on. The dial has the name G. De Pasquale printed on it. De Pasquale was a jeweller in High St a couple of suburbs away from where we lived when I was growing up.
I wonder if that't the same as those Turler-badged Omegas that turn up from time to time?

So that’s what I started looking for, but a lot of the Cuervo Y Sobrinos watches had been obviously re-dialled. I (for once) was definite about getting something with an original dial. Seller claimed that this dial was original. No matter, really. If it’s a re-dial, then it’s been tastefully done.

And this is what I found. It was a Lanco. It didn’t have the Cuervo badging in the dial and case-back, but that’s okay. The overall condition of this watch was so good that the Cuervo stuff didn’t matter anymore. It was more about the look. Since I’ve always loved the aesthetic and designs of the decades from the late 1920s through to the mid-Sixties (I think I’ve recently figured out that I’m a Dieselpunk), this watch had numerous design elements that really appealed to me. I love the textured dial and the cool numeral font used. The little flat crown winds nice and solid for a 50+ year-old watch. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s from around 1950-1955, but I may post a query on the Vintage Forum and see what I find.

Oh, did I mention the case size? Another criteria that the watch had to meet was that it had to be larger than my other vintage pieces. My Dad’s Wyler is 32mm and the Omega Seamaster Chronometer from 1969 is about 35mm. This Lanco is 37mm, but being pretty flat, it gives the impression of looking and wearing larger. Fine by me.

The whole watch gives off a great “Cuban tobacco plantation owner’s watch, pre-Castro” kind of vibe. Some watches appeal to me for the silliest of reasons. I often will purchase a watch based on what kind of persona I could adopt while wearing it or where the watch would seem most appropriate to wear. This watch makes me want to grow a Clark Gable pencil-thin moustache, pour myself a shot of Bacardi and light up a Montecristo No 3.

And that is where the collection stands at the moment. Aside from the multiple dive watches, I have tried to aim for a varied bunch.

Because the collection began to grow over the years, I thought I’d keep better records of what I’ve spent and what I’ve had done to the watches. So, with that in mind, I wrote up a Watch Spec Sheet in order to record date-of-purchase, Calibre No., and any other info and remarks about the watches. Admittedly, it’s not as neat and tidy as I would like it to be, but it does lend this hobby some kind of order. I’ll have to sit down one day and put all the info together along with one decent photo of each watch.

There are perhaps a few watches there that I would get rid of at some point. You’ll have maybe noticed the lack of Rolex. Well’ it’s not by choice. Damn things are expensive. However, my collection is not complete without a Submariner. I’d still love to get a ‘60s or ‘70s era 5513 or possibly a modern 14060 model. And, because it’s such an iconic design, perhaps a silver-dialled Date or DateJust.

Would still like to snag another Sinn. The 856S looks the biz and I don’t have a GMT watch.

And lately, I’ve been looking at the new IWC Portuguese hand-wound.

A great watch, but at ten grand AUD, it’s a long-term project. Or maybe I’ll just come to my senses, instead.
At the time of writing, I have one of the new Tissot VisoDate Automatics on order at work. Not an expensive watch (by a WIS’s standards) and a nice re-edition with a modern edge.

And then I think back to something else I wrote in that watch collecting journal back in 1998;

To me, this would probably represent all the wristwatches a man really needs. A chronograph, a dress watch and a dive watch. Highly impractical really since I don't need to measure time spans to within a fifth of a second, I don't dive, and I don't get dressed up all that often. But I am glad to say that anything else I acquire will be for resale purposes only.
But there's a self-imposed catch to the list above. I cannot buy any other watches. If I want to purchase another watch, I must sell one. That way, there can only ever be four or five watches in my own collection at any one time. And if over the course of time, I find myself wearing one watch less frequently than the others, then that one must perhaps be sold.”

Oh, man, I really didn’t know what I was getting myself into, did I?
Hope you enjoyed this write-up and I promise I won’t do it again until I clock up another 2200 posts. But let me know your thoughts on the Seiko dial hassle.

Thanks for reading!:-!

I need a drink.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
wow, a great read Territz, thoroughly enjoyed it!

i do like the new Tissot as i saw it a couple of months back but wasnt sure if it was released yet.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Great post Teeritz. I like the story with watch no. 2. The Seamaster 300 is also something that I've been wanting to get too but like you said, there's so many fakes going around that I don't feel comfortable buying one from ebay. I've also been looking at buying a Seamaster from the 60's but I need to brush up on my Omega knowledge to make sure that what I buy will be genuine.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
POTD, M, Y! :-! Always a fun read, Sir. And of course, you and I both started out with Omega and ORIS :roll:. Uncanny. Hahaha. :-d I really had a great time reading your post. Thanks for the update! Keep up the good work....

(Had this ORIS for nine years. Solid little watch. Never a single problem. ORIS make a good watch for the money.)

(Sold this one to Ernie here at WUS. Cool domed crystal. An old-school classic in its own right.)

Oh, and can you remove the rest of the "17 Jewels"? Maybe with nail polish remover or acetone? IDK, could either be a really good idea or a really bad one....

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Don't worry about the Seiko dial, unless you have the time and patience to deal with waiting... I would use it as is myself. It hardly effects the function of the watch!]

I am considering the Sinn 856S as well, but we had that discussion already... Really if it was in Ti and had the crown at four o'clock or on the other side of the case, I would have it already... Otherwise I am not sure yet why I have not followed through. I think I have other items on my plate at the moment...

I probably will be selling something from my collection as well, things change, and so do we, or so I understand...

Thanks for sharing your collection with us!

P.S. I love hats too. There was a bowler at Harrods (I already have one) that I wanted to pick up last time I was in London, (I may still do so) that was so wonderfully hard. It would have made a fine weapon to throw at the bad guys like they used to do... Seriously, I am sure it would hurt if I threw it at someone!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I don't know why you think that no one would bother to read through the whole post. The forum self-selects for geeks and social misfits, so we're already more likely to read through an obsessive/compulsive essay than the common passerby. b-)

I like your style, T!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Yes..... I enjoyed reading every last bit. Fantastic post, not to mention the fact that you have a really nice collection. The only thing I missed was a picture of a coffee machine.... or was it there :-s

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice writeup T..it was a fun read. Love your collection of watches. Eclectic and character-laden is what comes to my mind.

I love the Sinn's..had a 356 with an acrylic cover. It was a stunning watch. Unfortunately had to sell it..now am in the lookout for the same watch again.

As for the Seiko..dont bother with the '1'. I think it looks fine.

On a final note..thats an nice looking Green Tortoise Pelikan!! I highly recommend Montblanc Racing Green, Diamine Evergreen or J. Herbin Vert Empire if you wanna match up :)

Best,
PK.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Great post Tino and a great collection.

Love the amount of dress vintages you have there. The Seamaster 564 and SM300 are particular faves.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Now thats one HELUVA SOTC write-up! Thanks. I've been an enthusiast for only a year, but after reading some of your stories, I feel like I never want to leave this hobby.

·
Registered
420 Posts
:-!

Terrific stuff

One small step for one man, twenty-four steps for me from my front door to the edge of my drive-way... :-d

Great selection of props in the photo's too

|>

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
All I can say is wow!!!! What a great read and beautiful accompanying pictures. I started my WIS quest at about the same time as you and have explored many of the same avenues of collecting you have experienced. Went through the affordables first, then vintage Seikos, modded Seikos, G-Shocks, dive watches, boutique brands, and high end watches. I have now finally settled on Omega and Rolex, but that keeps changing as well.

I will near 2200 posts soon enough, and hope to do a SOTC thread too. Mines will be considerably shorter..... :-d

·
Registered
531 Posts
hey Mr T,

dont ask me why, but i always thought that you only owned omeeega watches!:-s

in fact, your watch collection is even grander, and more varied than i imagined, including your humble seiko divers... magnifique!:-!:-!:-!

my favourite is your vintage tudor oyster prince date on the modified dial - absolute stunner!

very interesting read accompanied by great photos, tino.

i always enjoy reading your usual posts, and on this occasion, thanks for taking the time to share your story.|>

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't worry about the Seiko dial... It hardly effects the function of the watch!
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I am considering the Sinn 856S as well, but we had that discussion already... Really if it was in Ti and had the crown at four o'clock or on the other side of the case, I would have it already.... I think I have other items on my plate at the moment...
I probably will be selling something from my collection as well, things change, and so do we, or so I understand...

P.S. I love hats too. There was a bowler at Harrods...
Yes, I think we did discuss the 856S already. I like it because it's a GMT/UTC watch and it's in black PVD. Don't know how good it will lok once it gets a littl scratched up, but that might only add to its rugged charm.
As for hats, a saleslady in a department store tried politely to convince me to buy a bowler hat that was on display. I wasn't in a "Clockwork Orange" kind of mood (just as well, I suppose) and I don't think a bowler would suit me.
Still, if I were you, SpringD, I would buy it just for the fact that it was selling at Harrods. If you are going to buy from the quintessential British store, then a bowler hat should be the first thing you buy from Harrods.

POTD, M, Y! :-! Always a fun read, Sir. And of course, you and I both started out with Omega and ORIS :roll:. Uncanny. Hahaha. :-d I really had a great time reading your post. Thanks for the update! Keep up the good work....
(Sold this one to Ernie here at WUS. Cool domed crystal. An old-school classic in its own right.)

Oh, and can you remove the rest of the "17 Jewels"? Maybe with nail polish remover or acetone? IDK, could either be a really good idea or a really bad one....
You started on Omega and Oris too, huh? Figures. ;-) I do like the Big Crown. As for the Seiko dial, I'm perhaps leaning towards leaving it be.

Always a good read, but surpassed yourself this time :-!

Nigel

PS. The watches ain't bad either...
I don't know why you think that no one would bother to read through the whole post. The forum self-selects for geeks and social misfits, so we're already more likely to read through an obsessive/compulsive essay than the common passerby. b-)

I like your style, T!
'Ullo Nigel, Hey There, Alex, long time no see, you two. Hope you're both well.:-!

Surpassed myself, Nigel? This post nearly killed me.
I took all the photos on Sunday. Started writing the post on Word that night. The Lanco arrived on Tuesday. Took photos of it Wednesday, started posting what I'd written, as well as the photos, in the afternoon. When I had gotten up to watch number 20, I tried to open a new tab on the Internet Explorer toolbar to open up a new eBay page...and wound up opening the page over the existing WUS page instead. When I tried clicking on the 'back' button, it took me back to a blank page where my thread HAD been. Three hours of writing. GONE!
Three deep breaths and then I went to clean the bathroom in an attempt to diffuse my dark mood.
Cut and pasted it all over again that night, hence the errors here and there.

Nice writeup T..it was a fun read. Love your collection of watches. Eclectic and character-laden is what comes to my mind...
...As for the Seiko..dont bother with the '1'. I think it looks fine.

On a final note..thats an nice looking Green Tortoise Pelikan!! I highly recommend Montblanc Racing Green, Diamine Evergreen or J. Herbin Vert Empire if you wanna match up :)

Best,
PK.
Thanks, paachi. Aside from the dive watches, I was aiming for a wide variety.
And about the Seiko, you and SpringDriven make a compelling argument. I think I'll leave it as is. Done. Settled.
And yes, that is the Pelikan 'milk & honey' or bamboo & ivory' as I call it. Great pen. I'm gonna have to Google the ones you mentioned.

All I can say is wow!!!! What a great read and beautiful accompanying pictures. I started my WIS quest at about the same time as you and have explored many of the same avenues of collecting you have experienced. Went through the affordables first, then vintage Seikos, modded Seikos, G-Shocks, dive watches, boutique brands, and high end watches. I have now finally settled on Omega and Rolex, but that keeps changing as well.

I will near 2200 posts soon enough, and hope to do a SOTC thread too. Mines will be considerably shorter..... :-d
It's funny, Derek, because I have gotten some of these watches to use as beaters only to decide later that they are too nice to knock around and risk destroying. I was thinking of getting a Swiss Army dive watch before I stopped myself and realised that I have enough divers and have room left for one more (Rolex Sub) and I was think of the Swiss Army as a beater. As if I don't have enough of those already.
Mad hobby, this.

hey Mr T,

dont ask me why, but i always thought that you only owned omeeega watches!:-s

very interesting read accompanied by great photos, tino.
i always enjoy reading your usual posts, and on this occasion, thanks for taking the time to share your story.|>
Hey, Reggie, how's tricks? Most of my collection is Omega, but I never wanted to be a 'one-brand-only-fanboy', since there are so many great and inexpensive brands out there. Tissot do some great watches as part of their Heritage range and I saw a neat Swatch Chronograph a couple of months ago, but I swore that I wouldn't deviate from saving up for a Rolex Sub.
Eyes on the prize, as they say.

Thank-you all for the kind words. I knew this was going to be a big undertaking, but it just grew and grew. And I wanted the photos to show a little relevance and/or atmosphere. It was fun.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes..... I enjoyed reading every last bit. Fantastic post, not to mention the fact that you have a really nice collection. The only thing I missed was a picture of a coffee machine.... or was it there :-s
Nope, Joe, no coffee machine in this one...so I had to take one 'specially for you an hour ago.

Cheers, and I hope they're treatin' you with respect over on the MKII forums, sir.:-!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Great post and collection Tino. I especially like the idea of the watch spec sheet, I just might do that myself.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts