WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

261 - 280 of 1195 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ken G, if you are updating your iPhone for the camera only, my advice is don't bother. I have the 7, upgraded from a 5s to the 7. I don't find any difference in picture quality, but I am not a very good photographer anyway, especially when compared to mt_hangglider. I upgraded because my 5s was dying a slow but sure death. I have no experience with the iPhone 8 or X; however, I reasonably believe that for either of those phones to make me a good photographer, they would need to come packaged with an Ansel Adams clone that would pop out and take over anytime a picture needed to be taken.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Just found out that improved camera features are available with iOS11 (but some only available on iPhone7 Plus and up):

Apple iOS 11: All the new features in your camera and photo apps - Business Insider

:think:
I have 20 odd MP on the compact, and I don't see a huge difference to that and the phone, but supposedly.... these cameras are superior. But in all honesty, the Samsung PO shots from hangglider are the best I've seen on any phone. Just going to look at spec on it in comparison.

The new iPhone is being let out today isn't it, so we'll soon see I'm sure.

·
Registered
979 Posts
As a photographer guy I have never looked at a phone as a reasonable alternative to an actual camera (my phone is full of wristshots for the WRUW threads and that's about it - I hate them all btw).

But if I was to choose a phone based on camera quality (which is exactly what I will do for my next phone) I would not look at MP count (they have way too many anyway), instead I would try to get info about:
- max ISO available (and look at a couple samples) - this will allow you to take blur free images in darker conditions
- max aperture of the lens (F number) - same as above but it also provides a bit of creative control with background blur
- lens focal length and its 35mm equivalent - this will tell you about perspective: wide vs telephoto vs zoom, and sensor size (in photography bigger is better; this applies to both sensor and lens)
- other features: video formats (slo-mo?), macro capability, focus speed, face recognition, etc.

Reactions: Ken G

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
max ISO available (and look at a couple samples) - this will allow you to take blur free images in darker conditions
Thanks! That's one of the points I really wanted to know about! :-!

my phone is full of wristshots for the WRUW threads and that's about it - I hate them all btw.
Mine too - thousands of them!
I'm actually quite fond of a lot of them... :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm actually quite fond of a lot of them... :)
If mine looked like yours I would be fond of them too, instead mine are good teaching material for why the points I listed in the previous post are important. :)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
If mine looked like yours I would be fond of them too, instead mine are good teaching material for why the points I listed in the previous post are important. :)
Ha! Thanks! I have no idea about those points listed above, but I'm kinda interested in learning. It's all trial-and-error at the moment!

·
Registered
331 Posts
2201.50 or 2254.50 ?? I am right on the cusp of another watch.

·
Registered
486 Posts
wow
I think that the birth of the new PO models marks the beginning of a new era: Omega has overtaken Rolex (and any other brand) in the worlds of luxury sporty divers.

Noone can list divers being at the sime time "more beautiful" as well as "more technically" advanced than PO.

I'm not much of a photographer, but here is my PO all ceramic -

View attachment 12543179

·
Registered
97 Posts
wow
I think that the birth of the new PO models marks the beginning of a new era: Omega has overtaken Rolex (and any other brand) in the worlds of luxury sporty divers.

Noone can list divers being at the sime time "more beautiful" as well as "more technically" advanced than PO.

And this, my friend, is why, after months of research and agonizing, I chose the PO Deep Black over a Submariner! I've never regretted my decision. Now, I still want a Sub and will have the steel/yellow gold with blue dial someday...

261 - 280 of 1195 Posts