WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1181 - 1185 of 1185 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Sorry TSC, just saw your post now.

Nope, that one lasted all of 2 days.
Apologies in advance, this is going to be pic-heavy.
It can look kind of 1/2 OK in the right light :

View attachment 15502205

- but hard to dismiss the 60-a-day smoker's rotten teeth images the lume colour brings to my mind.
BTW, needed to cut the 2nd pass off to avoid raising the watch head to perfect door-frame collision height -

View attachment 15502206

Think the wife has designs on it to attach a leash to for her colleague's cat, or something similar. Here's aforementioned cat; hmm, don't think I want to mess with him :

View attachment 15502499

I do want to try the strap on my 2503 Railmaster first though. Won't be soon - just this afternoon adjusted bracelet with new 1/2 link instead of a full one to see if it stays centred.

It'll be hard for it to equal either the old Phenomenato 'Bond' -

- or even older "Alias Marlow" (member here & eBay) Bond RAF straps, which look exactly like Connery's (pre-NATO) RAF strap from the first 007 movies ...

View attachment 15502190

View attachment 15502191

(the subtle red lines disappear at arms length etc - people couldn't even even see them until Blu-Ray version of the early films came along). Following 6 are borrowed pics :

View attachment 15502211

View attachment 15502212

View attachment 15502213

View attachment 15502214

IMHO far nicer, in fact classic.

William.

View attachment 15502525

View attachment 15502532

Never apologise for pic heavy, or for having a life.

Just realised that maybe I’m not in love with those NTTD colours because it’s not a million miles away from my old school blazer colour. It does look better in that lighting it has to be said. I rarely shoot watches outdoors. It did look marginally better on the 8500 PO, but not much, (I will shoot pic later) especially compared to the black/grey. The black and grey works on just about everything, and every watch. I do remember you took that piece off the Phenom when you got it. I’ve done that with a few cheapos, but not over the 20 quid mark. Your pic not showing for that one, by the way.

The old Bond straps I only have in the vintage Bond line, the NATO and the one piece, which doesn’t have the faithful buckle. They missed a trick there. Also find them very thin, which shows up on a top heavy 8500 PO more so. And they slide around because of the material used.

Thanks for the pics. Always great to see. That Kingston and that strap are absolutely on point. Love it. How available are they these days. Always out of stock instantly weren’t they. Cat looks pissed off. Best left

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Sorry TSC, just saw your post now.

Nope, that one lasted all of 2 days.
Apologies in advance, this is going to be pic-heavy.
It can look kind of 1/2 OK in the right light :

View attachment 15502205

- but hard to dismiss the 60-a-day smoker's rotten teeth images the lume colour brings to my mind.
BTW, needed to cut the 2nd pass off to avoid raising the watch head to perfect door-frame collision height -

View attachment 15502206

Think the wife has designs on it to attach a leash to for her colleague's cat, or something similar. Here's aforementioned cat; hmm, don't think I want to mess with him :

View attachment 15502499

I do want to try the strap on my 2503 Railmaster first though. Won't be soon - just this afternoon adjusted bracelet with new 1/2 link instead of a full one to see if it stays centred.

It'll be hard for it to equal either the old Phenomenato 'Bond' -

- or even older "Alias Marlow" (member here & eBay) Bond RAF straps, which look exactly like Connery's (pre-NATO) RAF strap from the first 007 movies ...

View attachment 15502190

View attachment 15502191

(the subtle red lines disappear at arms length etc - people couldn't even even see them until Blu-Ray version of the early films came along). Following 6 are borrowed pics :

View attachment 15502211

View attachment 15502212

View attachment 15502213

View attachment 15502214

IMHO far nicer, in fact classic.

William.

View attachment 15502525

View attachment 15502532
Nicely stated, William!

I wrote about the Bond Nato on my blog some time ago;

The Teeritz Agenda | The Bond NATO Strap - As I Understand It

And much of what you say mirrors my own thought on these NATO/Regimental straps.
The AliasMarlow ones were perhaps the closest to what we saw Connery wearing in Goldfinger. There was another brand called Corvus some time ago, but they appear to have gone bust. They were quite pricey, IMHO.

Anyway, the PO works well on a basic black NATO too.

And, to stay on-topic, I don't mind these two pics;

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Nicely stated, William!

I wrote about the Bond Nato on my blog some time ago;

And much of what you say mirrors my own thought on these NATO/Regimental straps.
The AliasMarlow ones were perhaps the closest to what we saw Connery wearing in Goldfinger. There was another brand called Corvus some time ago, but they appear to have gone bust. They were quite pricey, IMHO.

Anyway, the PO works well on a basic black NATO too.

View attachment 15505311

And, to stay on-topic, I don't mind these two pics;

View attachment 15505312

View attachment 15505313

wrote about the Bond Nato on my blog some time ago;
Great stuff, Tino. I remember reading your link a good while back.
Learned quite a few things I didn't know before indeed.

Quite apart from being a (schooboy) fan of the Connery 007 films my father took me to see at the cinema (a few years after their initial release), I was also drawn to the strap as it was close to 'my old school tie' & sports uniform etc colours: maroon and green on black or very dark blue/black anyway, and was the comfortable old RAF style strap, which pre-dated the Northern Atlantic Treaty Organisation military straps by a good few years.

Will.

1181 - 1185 of 1185 Posts