WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I have seen this in the other fourms of watchuseek I would like to see other railroad watch's so I will start it off with this.Elgin BW Raymond Serial no 26819569 made around 1923,21 jewel,lever set,adusted to 5 positions,16 size,invar balance and for any body to find a pallet fork for this invar balance it was hard it look's like a running man that's how it's shaped it's different than other raymonds,and I was told on this model case the bow is solid gold I notice elgin's with this case the bow's are missing a lot they have a differnt one on them so it mite be true. So let see some other railroad watches I started it off.

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Well, we have seen this Howard before. A reprise might be in order however for, as far as I know, the only railroad watch that so states on the movement itself. This is a working model, probably actually used by a real working railroader judging by the low cost case (and it's condition) on a high cost movement.

I can't take any more pics as it is at my watchmaker's. It is out of spec in two positions and he is seeing if he can adjust it back to original specifications. That will be a nice feat if he can do it. He told me what it would cost for him to try ($75) and promised to stop after that initial effort... otherwise the cost would easily run into the hundreds with no promise the adjustment could actually be accomplished.

He has had this and my favorite Columbus hunter for a couple of months... good thing I have lots of other watches to divert me!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a chrongragh wrist watch and a aircraft clock out at the watch maker going on a month or more he is fast most of the time but not this time the wait.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
This Hamilton 992B used to belong to my grandfather, then my uncle, then me, now my son-in-law.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In my recent post ..".Not Just Dollar watches" from about a 6 days ago in this forum, you all will find my Hamilton 950-B,and my Illinois 161-A 19J ,60 Hour Bunn Special Elinvar.

Rob31

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Hamilton 992B Ray now going on 4 generation's. I have been told that canadian railroad dial's are a little differnt may be you can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Well one difference I see is the 24 hour dial versus the 12 hour on your Elgin and the Montgomery style dial on Eeeb's Howard.
Ron in PA might be able to give more useful commentary, as I'm not really a RR grade expert.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice railroad wrist watches WIS Chronomaster I don't have any railroad wrist watches in my collection yet I was thinking of getting a vintage ball railroad std trainmaster wrist watch one of these day's.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Re: the 24 hour dials on RR pocket watches, usually indicative of Canadian or Mexican service. Also seen are an extra hour hand of a distinctive color that shows another time zone. I have a model 1908 Waltham 23J Vanguard set up this way. The watch is vintage 1915-16.

The "RR approved" wrist watches all seem to have 24 hour dials. You can still buy Seiko and Citizen wristwatches with quartz movements set up this way.

Attachments

·
11,864 Posts
My 1965 Accutron:

and a not so vintage Bulova from 1989, don't see to many of these:

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I have an 18s Waltham P.S Bartlett C1898.
This has a 24hr dial but is not lever set.

Could this be classed as a railway watch? Perhaps
made for the UK market where the criteria for 'railway standard'
wasn't so strict. The safety aspect of UK railways relied more
on elaborate systems of signalling rather than timekeeping.

It is in a heavy duty screw type railway case and if it's not
a railroad watch then my apologies...it's the closest I have.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It mite pass for a railroad watch in England nice waltham but the usa had stronger regulation it had to be lever set and they got tougher through the years on how many jewels ,on brands ,adjusted to 5 to 6 position then they had to be inspected for there time keeping I have a friend of mine we call him railroad Jim he worked for the railroad when they had to carry watches see the railroad used to pay for the inspections and I dont remember if he said they bought there watches too he had a Elgin Raymond then the railroad stop paying for the inspections and the railroads got better at knowing were the trains are and the union got in there contract they did not have to have a railroad watch it cost the working man money he has been retired from the railroad for about 20 or more years I like hearing his stories.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
While looking for photos of a particular watch-model on this forum (the Hammy 992b) to show a friend what a railroad watch looked like, I stumbled across this thread. Since I finally have my own RR watch, I'll add my picture here, if it's alright...

Ca. 1960 Ball RR watch. 21 jewels. 8 Adjustments. 16 size, etc, etc...

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
While looking for photos of a particular watch-model on this forum (the Hammy 992b) to show a friend what a railroad watch looked like, I stumbled across this thread. Since I finally have my own RR watch, I'll add my picture here, if it's alright...
I missed posting in this thread as well, so here we go, with my 992 and 992B.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Hah, you're welcome, Erik!

I LOVE your gold Hamilton on the left. But then, I'm a Goldfinger!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Here are my two:
  • 1964 Accutron 214 Cushion in 14K GF
  • 1968 Accutron 218 in 18K

1 - 20 of 68 Posts