WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

281 - 300 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm enjoying this thread, and catching up on 15 pages of skindivers!
I just picked up the Longines Skindiver, a watch on my wish-list since it was introduced. Currently mounted on a weathered leather strap.
I like the tropic style rubber, particuarly for summer . Does anyone makes a tropic style band with a deployment clasp?
I don't believe a deployment buckle on the OEM rubber strap is possible, because of the tapered width, right?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
I'm enjoying this thread, and catching up on 15 pages of skindivers!
I just picked up the Longines Skindiver, a watch on my wish-list since it was introduced. Currently mounted on a weathered leather strap.
I like the tropic style rubber, particuarly for summer . Does anyone makes a tropic style band with a deployment clasp?
I don't believe a deployment buckle on the OEM rubber strap is possible, because of the tapered width, right?

View attachment 15742789
Glad to hear

FWIW, I’ve always swapped in deployant clasps with assorted tapered straps without issue, buying the clasp size that corresponds to the mm width at the narrower end (furthest from the lugs).

These are cheap (and comfortable) enough that they may be worth the experiment:

“iStrap Stainless Steel Deployment Clasp Buckle Fasten Gold Black Silver Rose Gold Watchband Clasp Color & Width (10mm,12mm,14mm,16mm,18mm,20mm 22mm)”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #287 (Edited)
Do like a funky 70s style dial - talking of inspiration I'm suprised no one has issued watches inspired by the Baby Ploprof or the 166.091 (or maybe they have but I havent noticed!), great case shapes calling out for original dials... well, seems I'm also developing a liking for hidden lugs....now where did I put my old Zenith Defy tonneau...not strictly a diver but still 300m....
View attachment 15679954

Oh ... and its great to see the black day/date wheel on that Mido...
Funky

Our first Zenith in the thread (if I recall correctly)

Some assorted history on the brand (beyond just the El Primero):

And some interesting stuff about some historical French (vs. Switzerland) manufacturing of some Zenith watches:

Looks like they had a variety of dive watch designs back in the day, many of which would fit our general skin diver vibe.

The S.58 and Sub Sea (A3630) models seems to get the most mention.

But if you browse the Google Images links, you’ll also come across some other interesting diver models from the brand, including the following.

Some diver chronographs (e.g., rare Pilot/Diver, A277):

Mercedes hands (33/02.1820.467):

World-time and dial-time bezels (A3634):

62MAS-like dial:

Some more colorful 70s funk (e.g., A3637, A3639, A3648):

Reactions: boatswain

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #288 (Edited)
Our first Ball

History on the brand:

Shots of the vintage Ball skindiver (which is one of the more handsome skindivers I’ve seen):

And coverage of the contemporary Ball Engineer II Skindiver Heritage:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #289 (Edited)
Just an FYI for folks who haven’t come across the brand, Vratislavia Conceptum is a Polish microbrand with a pretty diverse range of past and current offerings.

Their Klingert 1797 model definitely has skindiver vibes (and some pretty rad 70s-esque color ways):

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #290 (Edited)
I imagine most will be familiar with Lorier, so I won’t go crazy with links.

But if anyone doesn’t, they’re a husband-and-wife microbrand team based out of NYC, with designs influenced by classic 60s sport watches. They have a good amount of blog, forum, social media, and podcast coverage, if curious about them.

Reactions: NS1

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #291 (Edited)
Reactions: NS1

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #292 (Edited)
I think our first Mido? (I’m losing track and too lazy to search )

If so, some brand history and some of its iconic vintage divers (including the Ocean Star and Powerwind 1000 Rainbow Diver):

Interestingly, whereas the Rainbow Diver reissue is visually quite similar to the vintage reference, the Ocean Star tribute is quite the visual upgrade! Compare:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Although now I’m probably just sharing the obvious, but some Tudor/dive watch history :)

Reactions: vmgotit

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Glad to hear

FWIW, I’ve always swapped in deployant clasps with assorted tapered straps without issue, buying the clasp size that corresponds to the mm width at the narrower end (furthest from the lugs).

These are cheap (and comfortable) enough that they may be worth the experiment:

“iStrap Stainless Steel Deployment Clasp Buckle Fasten Gold Black Silver Rose Gold Watchband Clasp Color & Width (10mm,12mm,14mm,16mm,18mm,20mm 22mm)”

You are right, for $10, I just ordered a black 20 mm. If that works, I'll try moving up the quality scale. Longines makes some branded clasps, I just need to find a 20 mm piece. Thanks!

Reactions: ck2k01

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #295 (Edited)
Because the Universal Geneve Polerouter was mentioned, the brand and some of the line’s skindiver-esque variants are worthy of some links :)

Brand history:

And the Polerouter Sub specifically:

And an interesting super compressor variant:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Because Crepas got mentioned, and I wasn’t very familiar with them, I had a look, and they appear to be a Spanish microbrand:

Of note for the thread, I spotted several models that struck me as skindiver-esque, including the Engelsfish, Cayman, Plongeur, and Tektite:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Phew! I think I’m all caught up with the follow ups for the past few weeks :)

And just because, a musing about what constitutes a skindiver:

And an epic pictorial timeline of iconic vintage dive watches:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
You are right, for $10, I just ordered a black 20 mm. If that works, I'll try moving up the quality scale. Longines makes some branded clasps, I just need to find a 20 mm piece. Thanks!
Awesome

I’ve got a bunch of them (the clasps), and have found them to be a great value prop (cheap, work without issue, and relatively comfortable/non-sharp/not too itchy).

I’ve also found them to be simple to brush with a Scotch-Brite pad if you want the brushed look.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #299 (Edited)
Lastly, since I posted such egregious walls of text this morning, a picture of my new Vostok Amphibia 120 mod from the bay (sticker still on the dial!) that I plan to redo (fully bead blast, coin-edge bezel, faded insert, black hour and minute hands, signed crown, and scuba dude case back).

Just waiting on the parts to arrive from Russia . . .

I think it’s got some skindiver vibe to it (why I went with the 120 case > the 420 case, and it’s also more modestly sized and has better lug down-turn than the 100 and 110 cases).

And I think it may be our first Vostok (Vostok is the transliteration of the Cyrillic Восток)

So . . .

Brand history:

And about the Amphibia (also transliterated as Amphibian, Amfibia, and Amfibian) line:

It’s a lot like the Seiko SKX in terms of modability (indeed, SKX bezel inserts can even be used on them):

And a cool story about it accompanying a diving record:

Reactions: EPK
281 - 300 of 301 Posts