1601 - 1620 of 1675 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've loved my 39mm 2500 Aqua Terra (2503.80) for the last five years:

But after a lot of deliberation, purchases, returns, and purchases, have decided to swap it out for its 36mm little brother (2504.80):

I guess both would qualify for this thread! Have a few other sub-39 watches, but I'll save those for another post :cool:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Love your spirit; If I say the brand too, I would be lying .

Enjoy - to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, pardon any spelling errors.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just did a double take on pic 1. Is that a Calatrava with small seconds?
Yep! 3796R; 31mm(!) but wears larger. There are quite a few Calatravas with small seconds, going back to the original 96, up through the current 5196. In my experience, they wear a lot larger than they are. The 5196 is 37mm, but when I tried it on, it felt like something around 40-42mm, which is far too large for a dress watch, in my opinion.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Has to be the straight lugs. A treasure of a piece. How much do you think one could source a vintage Calatrava? Or should I not even ask...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, pardon any spelling errors.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Has to be the straight lugs. A treasure of a piece. How much do you think one could source a vintage Calatrava? Or should I not even ask...
Not sure if straight per se, but it's the classically-styled long lugs from the 96, that curve down at the end. If you're interested in this style, then I would advise researching the 3796, 3923, and 5096. The first two came in multiple types of gold; the 5096 came only in yellow gold. They're not super common, but come up from time to time if you search on the usual sites (forums, Chrono24, eBay), and I think there are some out there now. Will probably run mid-to-high five figures into the low teens.

That said, there are other Calatrava models out there, with small seconds, that are not the above. I'm not too well versed in those, but the information is definitely out there. Just takes some research and patience!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The entire sub 39 contingent. Definitely doesn’t get enough wrist time.

One of the accutron needs an overhaul, the rest are happy when wound/worn/charged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1601 - 1620 of 1675 Posts