WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I never owned an auto watch until about a month ago, at which point I bought a 1960s Datejust and a Sinn 836. I’ve been wearing the Datejust daily (suite, tie, etc) and reserving the 836 for the weekends. I don’t have a winder, so when I get home I put on the 836 and sleep with it to keep it ticking during the week. Even so, when I get back from work I find that the 836 has stopped. Basically, I leave at 7am and get back at 8pm.

My understanding is that the eta 2892 has a 30+ hour reserve... I guess my question is: how long do I need to wear the 836 to get it ticking through my work day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
40,689 Posts
Obvious answer...if you are sleeping it won't be winding it. It will need motion to actually wind it - as such, it's not a case of how long you need to wear it but how long while active - and there are too many variables involved.

If it's not still ticking when you get home, then the automatic winding it received during those hours between getting home and going to bed aren't enough.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Just remember that you can manually wind most automatic movements, so you could do that for your weekender. But really, just let it run down and set it again Friday night/Saturday morning. One of the big complaints of "wish it had no date window" is to facilitate this technique so as to have one less thing to set (but WISsers are too OCD to have the wrong date on a weekend watch as well :p

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a Sinn 104. It has a Selita SW220-1 in it. But I tend to wear my Navitimer most days and the Sinn in the evenings (but not at night, in bed).

So when I get up in the morning, I give the Sinn about 10 winds or so. Or on days when I'm not going to wear the Sinn at all, I'll give it 18-20 winds.

My aim is not to give it it's full 40 hour 'charge', but to give it about 24 hours worth. That way I'm not fully winding the watch, not taking the mainspring to full stress. But I'm also not reaching the winding limit and therefore winding when it's at full charge, because there wear that can take place there too.

·
Premium Member
71,532 Posts
Almost certainly by sleeping in it you are not putting enough juice into it to keep the watch going so either buy a winder for it or just give it a dozen or so winds at the weekend prior to wearing it and let it die in the week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts