WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only own one automatic -- a Hamilton. If I remember correctly, the instruction booklet suggested the watch would run for up to 36 hours after being set down. I wear the watch most every day, however, on days that I do not put it on in the morning, at best I get 15-17 hours of running time before it stops. Does that seem typical? Do automatics, in general, not meet the advertised power reserve threshhold? Kind of like MPG estimates!

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Your daily motion while wearing it is keeping it wound, but not FULLY wound I'd say.
Manually wind it 30 turns or so then test it.
It should come closer to estimated mpg...lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That reminds me... I never did find out... do Hamiltons (ETA movements) wind clockwise or counterclockwise before I find out I'm breaking something.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Do you mean the crown or the rotor?

The crown winds clockwise as you look directly at the watch.

The rotor winds the watch and the direction varies based on the model movement Clockwise, Counter-Clockwise, or bi-directional. This is important to know when looking at a winder. Orbita's website has a terrific database on the rotor winding direction for nearly every modern watch.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the source. I don't have a winder yet as this is my only automatic but I am planning in the event I get a winder down the road. Much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts