WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just received a new Tissot PR50 auto and I'm very pleased with it. However, the bracelet is a little squeaky and not particularly substantial. I've had a look at replacing it with a leather strap but there is what appears to be a fixed central piece between the lugs.

How do I go about removing these central pieces to put a leather strap on? Has anyone successfully replaced the bracelet with a strap before? And if so, how did they go about doing it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The centre piece comes out / away from the case when you release the spring bar to take the bracelet off. It leaves a notch in the case between the lugs where this piece sits against the case but, it's not overly noticeable.

I'll post some photos later, or you can do a search for some photos of the watch on a strap that I have posted in the past.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it comes away all as one piece when removing the spring bar? How noticeable is it? If you could post a couple of photos that would be great!

If I'm not keen on the strap I may return to the bracelet. Have you tried replacing the bracelet before, and if so how easy was it to do? I only ask because by looking at it the central pieces look quite solidly in place.

Also, how well does yours keep time? Over the past couple of days I've been looking at +24 / day ( +1 / hour). It seems to be pretty regimented (though it's only been a couple of days). Would you say this is acceptable or is there anything I can get done about this?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Woah James... Hold on partner :) That's a whole-lot of questions for a simple minded fellow like me :-d

I'm a "graphics" guy, so I'll let the photos answer some of your questions:

As you can see, the centre-piece of the bracelet end-link is just held against the case (in a notch) by the springbar. It comes away from the case when you release the springbar from the lugs to remove the bracelet. The notch remains in the case, and may be an issue (in appearance only) for you, if you can't live with the look of it on a strap.

It's no issue for me. I change from the bracelet to a strap all the time, and both work fine. It's a simple procedure that takes about 2 minutes, and gives a different look.

As far as the watch itself: I really quite like it. It's the least expensive watch in my collection but, it's a reliable and convenient watch that performs flawlessly. I couldn't expect more from a watch, from a performance standpoint.

I have no idea what it's accuracy is since that's of little importance to me. I have not noticed it to be wildly inaccurate. I change the time twice a year, and it seems to be well within reasonable spec's at those intervals.

Are you saying that yours gains 24 seconds per day? That would be 3 minutes off per week, or, over 3 hours per year? That seems pretty inaccurate to me. I'd be surprised if mine gains / loses a minute or two per year, but I haven't tracked it closely. I don't sweat the small stuff but, I'd be pissed if my quartz watch was off by 3 hours per year! That doesn't seem acceptable, or correct. Maybe I'm misunderstanding / miscalculating your numbers... :-s

Good luck with it!

Best,
Wallace

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great photos Wallace! Really great.

That's good news about easy removal too. It looked a little more permanent to me and I thought it might have been a bit of a hassle swapping around.

In relation to the time keeping - mines an automatic, so I guess a whole different kettle of fish. I've read various reports on the automatic (time keeping wise), some more accurate some less. I was just curious to see how yours faired, but no worries.

Great photos once again. Take care.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Ahh, I didn't realize yours was an auto... What can I say? I need pictures ;-)

Glad I could be of some help to you. Good luck with your watch, and congratulations!

Now, where are those photos of it for us all to drool over?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Great photos James! Let me know if you need any help with the springbar removal, and show us some "after" photos on a strap ;-)

Hope you enjoy the watch and looking forward to seeing you around here more often!

Best,
Wallace

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Looks great James! Better than the bracelet, IMHO...

No troubles removing the bracelet, I see ;-) Good for you!

Enjoy it,
Wallace

BTW: At the top of the thread, there's a "thread tools" menu in the title bar. Drop down options include "subscribe to thread". Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
James, wonderful watch that looks very good on strap as well as the bracelet in my opinion..I have a PR50 Quartz that I absolutely love not only for sentimental reasons (my father gave it to me for joining a good engineering university :D ) but also because it has served me flawlessly through university and after (almost eight years now) so I couldn't be happeir...these are reliable fellows :) and +24 sec/day for a non-regulated, un-brocken-in basic auto is not bad IMHO..give it a little time...three things can happen:

1-if it is consistent +24s/d it means it can be regulated to +-0s/d but practically anyway what I mean is, a consistent weatch is easy to regulate buty otherwise too, a regulated auto will perform better anyway.
2-but before you exercise option 1, you could simple wait a while and let it break in and it will hopefully perform a bit better which if acceptable to you wont require regulation.
3-you, like me, do not care about seconds of accuracy each day and will simply set the time every two weeks and enjoy your watch :)

Wallace as always you are a very kind help and have a very sporty PR50 Sport..I have always loved its bold hands...brilliant!

regards, Asad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot Asad. I'm going to leave it for a while and see if it maintains its consistency. Like you say - I'm not that bothered about accuracy either, but was just interested to know what's normal for out of the box. I may get it regulated if it maintains a steady +24 a day, but I'll see how I get on.

It's funny you say about sentimental value. I've just treated myself to this as my first "proper" watch for finishing my engineering degree. I can see this being the first of many. Hope you're still enjoying yours and take care.

James

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting a rather old thread, but as it happens I also have a PR-50 Automatic on the stainless steel bracelet, which I am thinking of changing to a leather strap. My PR-50 is over 12 years old and while the sapphire crystal looks pristine, the bracelet is pretty beat up. So my idea to bring back life to this watch is to get the case polished and loose that bracelet. I am glad that I found this thread as the idea of changing to a leather strap has crossed my mind before but I thought that on this watch the central parts of the bracelet mean that this is not practicable - happy to learn otherwise.
THe two questions I would have are:
- what is the correct strap width?
- is it possible to get a strap with a deployment buckle as in the higher end watches eg. the Tag Heuer Monaco? Any particular ones you would recommend - links most welcome.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I too have a pr50 quartz and it looks much better on leather. Assuming your older model is the same as my 2007 model, you'll need an 18mm strap.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the response, from what I have also seen on the internet, several sources mention that the correct width is 19mm :-s
EDIT: removed the bracelet today and measured between the lug distance - IMO its 19mm. WIth the bracelet removed I guess the indent in the watch case where the middle part of the bracelet goes between the lugs is a bit unsighty... have to think whether its a deal breaker for me...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts