WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would be grateful for any information anyone has on using an Ambit when there is no reliable facility for charging. For example, when on deployment. I'm interested as to whether mobile charging solutions have been worthwhile.

Does anyone see Traverse/Ambit as being able to cope with long durations away from a conventional plug socket?

Or do people tend to switch to a dumber, but more power efficient offering, like Core?

Advice gratefully received!

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a small foldable solar charger I pack when away for extended times. It has a clip that I clip onto my pack and plug into my phone, watch etc….. Works great!! I'll see if I can find a link to the one I have.

Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry the one I have is discontinued. There are tons of them out there. The one I have is a battery pack/solar charger. The pack is enough to charge the watch atleast twice on a full battery. I just leave it on my pack charging so its always topped off incase I need to charge something.

Dave

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Bring a hefty USB battery pack or two, such as this one. A 20000 mAh will provide at least 20 full charges, probably more. And assuming your not going to be using the GPS all day, every day, a charge will last you several days on average.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I know people have used portable chargers for on the fly charging during ultras

Photo c.Jeff Pelletier

I'm not sure that the Ambit is robust enough for use during a deployment, though I suppose that depends on when during the deployment you're planning on using it. I'd stick with something like G-Shock, Protrek, Core, X-Lander, etc...

·
Registered
87 Posts
"... while charging the Ambit the display is active however the button lock icon appears in normal time display mode ..."
Ambit is locked when you are charging from computer. When you charge from dumb battery it is not locked

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your help. Having just looked at an Ambit and a Fenix, the Ambit feels like the more robust option.

My research reveals that the Fenix's GPS is less dependable, possibly due to bezel GPS. I am wondering if I should be looking at an Ambit 3 (...4 in due course) rather than the Traverse?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
We should have a sticky that shows recharging hacks for the Ambit/Traverse when in the field...

I know people have used portable chargers for on the fly charging during ultras

Photo c.Jeff Pelletier

I'm not sure that the Ambit is robust enough for use during a deployment, though I suppose that depends on when during the deployment you're planning on using it. I'd stick with something like G-Shock, Protrek, Core, X-Lander, etc...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thank you for your help. Having just looked at an Ambit and a Fenix, the Ambit feels like the more robust option.

My research reveals that the Fenix's GPS is less dependable, possibly due to bezel GPS. I am wondering if I should be looking at an Ambit 3 (...4 in due course) rather than the Traverse?
If you don't trust the bezel GPS of the Fenix, then getting the Traverse wouldn't make much sense as it also has bezel based GPS - and has the misfortune of being new tech.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you don't trust the bezel GPS of the Fenix, then getting the Traverse wouldn't make much sense as it also has bezel based GPS - and has the misfortune of being new tech.
That's a very good point. I thought bezel-gate was a Garmin Fenix thing, but you think it may be a feature of that type of component? That could be a consideration. Good GPS is as important as good emissions are to VW. ...er...

I guess I'd also have to ask whether anyone thinks Sunnto will indeed release an Ambit 4, or whether that will be something more geared for high-end multi sport users, rather than adventure users.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts