WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I don't know anyone who followed my previous thread about the 2254.50 I purchased from the Forum AD, but here it is. In a nutshell, I purchased a 2254.50 from the Forum AD, it ran fast. Gained 10 secs per minute fast. I returned it and he sent another one out right away. It, too, was fast. Not AS fast, but still too fast. It was gaining 4 minutes on the hour.

Upon Googling for watch repair reviews, I decided to take the watch to Wempe, here in Manhattan. I figured maybe the watch had been magnetized. The guys at Wempe took a look at it and concluded that it wasn't magnetized, but suggested I take it over to the newly opened Omega boutique across the street (which I'd forgotten all about!)

So over to the Omega boutique I go, and up to their service desk. There I explained what happened and one of the guys took a quick look at it, thinking that it might be magnetized even though the other guys said it wasn't. He came out looking puzzled. It didn't sound right. That's right, he listened to it tick and deduced that something was wrong.

We talked about it, checked its serial number, and they even went so far as to verify that the Forum AD is actually an Authorized Dealer (he is, by the way.) Two different guys look at it and, even without my warranty card right there, they decided to open it up in and take a look inside.

First off, no more NJ nightmares! They do service RIGHT IN HOUSE! So for those of you who can get to NYC, bring it there!

Second off, the guy came back ten minutes later and discovered that there was something wrong with some spring regulator thing. Looped twice or something. I wish I knew enough watch shop talk to really understand what he was talking about but he was geeking out and was super cool so I went along. I really did try and understand and he went so far as to take out a diagram of a different movement watch to try and help.

He figured it wasn't the Forum AD, but simply that the package was handled roughly from FedEx. It was probably dropped hard or something.

Anyway, the watch was now running TOTALLY to spec, and after PRESSURE TESTING IT, y'know, to make sure that it's still good to 300m after having opened it, he brought it out to me free of charge.

Even though I didn't have my warranty cards with me (which they said I could fax later if I had to leave it) I'm guessing they knew it was under warranty simply from the serial number.

Anyway, the point is, if you're ever in NYC, swing by the Manhattan botique on 5th avenue and 56th street and say hi to William and Harry in the service department. Tell 'em I said hi. They're awesome!

---

Now, I have the oh so unpleasant challenge of having to decide, on a day-to-day basis, between my PO and 2254.50. Life's rough, I tell ya.

Life's rough.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NOW WITH PHOTO!

For the camera gearheads out there:
Canon 40D/EFS 17-55 f2.8 Lens. 1/12 sec @ f2.8. Handheld, lit with a desk lamp and computer monitor behind it. Thank god for image stabilization on the lens!

Oh, and all the noise/gunk on the righthand top part of the PO is just finger prints at a shallow depth of field. It's pristine, I promise.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Nice to hear

I have always found the staff in the Omega boutique to be great.

I have been to the one in Royal exchange in London a few times. They fitted the mesh for my PO free of charge and also over time have given me two free travel cases and a great Speedmaster book. They are always helpful and seem to be pretty knowledgable about the watches they sell.

·
Registered
157 Posts
LMAO...that's precisely how I remember Secaucus when I went to NY for business. I think the next time servicing is needed, I'll consider the NY boutique store. I had heard they simply repackage the watch and send it off to NJ, which is why I passed on sending my SMP to the Beverly Hills boutique.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the NY Boutique store has a service lab upstairs right on premises. I'm not sure the extent to which they can service a watch, but they had at least two guys on staff that were able to open up the watch and get the movement working right then and there. And he fixed it in ten minutes!

LB

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Still waiting for my speedmaster. Originally it was supposed to be done by the end of May, but it still won't be done for another week or two. I hope they can work their magic on it, because the service was $65 more than the watch!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If i go here, would they be able to tell if my PO is real or not? think they'll charge? my watch came with blank warranty card lol the herald square Tourneau couldn't tell if it was real or not and told me to go to the 5th ave official boutique instead.:-s

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a POC and had a little problem that started when I took a good shot to the watch. Long story short, the clasp had bent a little misaligning a link to the clasp... still wearable though, totally my fault. Droped by the boutique just for ****s and giggles and to my surprise they looked at it. The technician took it in back and two minutes later he brought it out with it back in alignment. Therefore they get my praise. Plus on the way out they gave me a couple of periodicals on the moon landing. They deserve A++++++

1 - 18 of 18 Posts