WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this watch new couple days ago and it is running approximately +15 sec a day. Please can someone tell me is something wrong whit the movement or is this whit in the tolerances for this movement? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I bought this watch new couple days ago and it is running approximately +15 sec a day. Please can someone tell me is something wrong whit the movement or is this whit in the tolerances for this movement? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's on the high side but is within specs for a base 7750 movement.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
If it's a full service store with a watchmaker then certainly you can ask. If its just a jewelry store with no genuinely knowledgeable people then I'd leave it be.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
If 15sec/day distresses you, perhaps quartz watches are more your thing. It can almost certainly be tweaked to run more accurately, but there's nothing wrong with it the way it is. That's within specs.

·
Premium Member
32,648 Posts
If it's a full service store with a watchmaker then certainly you can ask. If its just a jewelry store with no genuinely knowledgeable people then I'd leave it be.
Good advice

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Let it settle in for a month or so before deciding. New watches sometimes need a break-in period to get the oils distributed, etc. If it's still running fast in a month, a few minutes on a timing machine and a quick regulation will take care of it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
if it was mine I would Def. either regulate it myself (which I've done) or have a watch maker do it. all of my autos are within -0 thru +3 seconds a day.

Reactions: simen.torstensen

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Nothing wrong with that run rate. Maybe a little on the high side, but you'd have to be OCD or a WIS to care too much about 15 seconds.

Depending on where you bought it, the seller may not have any responsabilities. You can pay to have it regulated (don't do it yourself), but that would come out of your pocket and oput you in the 7 (ish) seconds of deviation neighbourhood, so ask yourself what that kind of accuracy is really worth.

Just remember - you didn't buy it because of it's accuracy. If your life demanded accuracy of better than 15 seconds/day, a mechanical watch would not have been on your radar. I have mechnicals that range from about $200 to over $10k, and none of them are perfectly accurate (I'd wager that I even have one or 2 with bigger variations than 15 seconds), and yet somehow the sun still comes up every day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts