WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine recently picked up this Ref. 6234 Chronograph from an estate and asked me to help him ID it. We were looking up info on line and had a few questions.

The serial number is 688,xxx this says 1950 online....but it seems to look more like the 1959-1961 models that we saw online. Most of the older ones had two outside rings (tachymeter, telemeter) this one just has numbers. The movement is a Valjoux 72A, and looks like the older models. The non time hands are all blued except for the left top sub-dial which is thinner and black....some of the ones we saw online had this hand slightly thinner than the rest.

What I am asking is, Is this an original configuration with that serial number or are some of the parts non-original? What do i have here? Anything special about this one?

Thanks for any help,
Gary

·
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I think I figured this out, the fact that Rolex repeated serial numbers from when they hit 1,000,000 puts this model right where it should be at 1961. Not seeing the 'roman numeral' inside the caseback, but others on web were same way. The Pre-Daytona 6234 was only made from 1955 to 1961 so it could not be a 1950 number. Seems there was a more rare 'no-lume' version of this model that increases value about 3x from what I have seen.

·
Registered
202 Posts
im sorry that i cannot be of any help, but i admire that watch. its really beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks....I am hoping I can wear it for a couple days!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts