WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my father's Casio, however it's not a G-Shock. :-( It's the DW-1000 and is rated to 200M. It's in pretty fair shape and the battery was still in it, which had long run dead years and years ago.

I pulled the original BR2020 battery out. Luckily, it never leaked or anything. I might go ahead and get a new battery for it. I'd also like to mod it by getting some polarized film, cut it to size and replace the stock piece so the display will be reversed. It would be a neat little project if anything else.

I wonder if I can still get a replacement bezel ring for it. Also, where would I get the polarized film? Any ideas?!

Many thanks in advance! :-!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If it's like the Casios I used to have back in the old days, you probably don't need to get a new polarizer. Just take out the one that's in there already, and flip it over.

But... as much as I think negative displays can look cool, I think it'd ruin the look of an old watch like this.

Each to their own, though.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Nice watch SpaceView :-!

I know some people who have been looking for a replacement bezel for this model for months and months. So, sadly, unless you find one on a donor watch on an auction or somewhere, there is no way to source them reliably.

They look ok with the bezel and screws removed btw.

I'd avoid doing anything to the polariser on a 1982 digital watch. The insides are probably fairly fragile/brittle with age, especially the LCD panel connector strip. I've killed a few vintage Casios around the same age by fiddling with the polarisers and/or the panel.
So, unless you don't mind the watch losing segments or worse, I'd leave it ;-)

cheers,

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'd avoid doing anything to the polariser on a 1982 digital watch. The insides are probably fairly fragile/brittle with age, especially the LCD panel connector strip. I've killed a few vintage Casios around the same age by fiddling with the polarisers and/or the panel.
So, unless you don't mind the watch losing segments or worse, I'd leave it ;-)

cheers,
Oh, you're absolutely right. I hadn't thought of that, but I've seen similar aging in old calculators.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, you guys are right. besides, I just popped the module out and the polariser looks like it's slid in under some small plastic clips. I certainly don't want to break those.

Also, isn't the plastic bezel helping to hold the crystal in place? The reason I ask is because the crystal actually extends about 1mm past the SS case, and there's a rubber O-ring around it, both of which is under the inner-side of the bezel.

If anything, it will just be put back in the dresser where it came from.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Also, isn't the plastic bezel helping to hold the crystal in place? The reason I ask is because the crystal actually extends about 1mm past the SS case, and there's a rubber O-ring around it, both of which is under the inner-side of the bezel.
You mean that they crystal can easily pop out?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The crystal is held in by pressure. Not only will it not pop out but you'd have a devil of a time trying to get it out! The plastic bezel has no real function aside from looks and finding a replacement is tough...I've been looking for one for a while...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I don't think the crystal can pop out easily, and I'm not going to try to either.

On a side note, eventhough I still haven't bought a battery for it yet, tonight I cleaned it up a bit, removed the plastic bezel but left the bezel screws, used a little Gundel Putz on the crystal to remove some water spots and trimmed the rubber band from my Casio AMW320D-9EV to fit.

From what I remember, I really liked the display on this watch because it was very uncluttered and clean looking with decent sized, sharp/crisp digits. Plus it's nice to have a little pre-G history to wear around still. :-!

It looks quite a bit better in person than in these pics, but nonetheless, here they are.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Wow. Cleans up very nicely.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She's alive!

Yesterday at work, I bought a new CR2016 battery to replace the old, tired original one in my DW-5600E. Since it still has some life left in it, I decided to try it out in the DW-1000. Eventhough the CR2016 is a tad bit thinner than the original BR2020 battery, it still fits and makes perfect contact! Cool!! b-)

After about 10 seconds or so with the new "old" battery in place, (I guess it took a while for all the small capacitors to charge back up), the LCD display came on. It still looks great, even after all these years!

So as for now, I'm going to hold off on buying a new battery for the DW-1000. Heck, why not get a little more life out of that old battery. As long as it's willing to work, I'm willing to use it to the bitter end. Long live the mighty CR2016! :-d

Anyway, a couple pics for your enjoyment...

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Very nice. I was thinking, maybe you could apply silicon glue to the body and build yourself a bezel. It'd be a bit messy. After the silicon has cured, you could cut bits off it to shape.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know. I was thinking of of maybe a small shet of rubber trimmed to size maybe.

Anyway, here's a wrist shot. Kinda goofy looking. It's too small or something. :think:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spaceview,

Was there anything special required to change the battery? I've read that some screwbacks that have an AC that has to be shorted to the + battery side for a couple seconds........did you have to do this? Was there any problem with the module not squaring up correctly in the case? I've seen some watches where the module is not square in there and it worries me about changing the battery on the dw-1000 I just scored off fleebay last week.......it should be in today. Thanks in advance!

Waylan

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think the strap is overwhelming the watch head. If you look at your 5600, the strap doesn't extend past the virtual "lugs". On your cut down strap, it immediatlly widens to the width of the watch as soon as it clears the lugs giving the illusion that the watch is quite small. What was the original strap/bracelet like on that watch?

Or I could be all wet and it could be 30 mm across.

Cheers!

Greg

I don't know. I was thinking of of maybe a small shet of rubber trimmed to size maybe.

Anyway, here's a wrist shot. Kinda goofy looking. It's too small or something. :think:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
:rodekaartsorry to change the subject but Kpatt were you ever successfully able to convert a module 240 to a reversed/dark display?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Spaceview,

Was there anything special required to change the battery? I've read that some screwbacks that have an AC that has to be shorted to the + battery side for a couple seconds........did you have to do this? Was there any problem with the module not squaring up correctly in the case? I've seen some watches where the module is not square in there and it worries me about changing the battery on the dw-1000 I just scored off fleebay last week.......it should be in today. Thanks in advance!

Waylan
yes that shortcut is no problem... there is a spot AC which has to be connected to battery.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
i wonder why this watch looks red and then silver again on the front on different pictures???

i always thought the silver model is the dw-1000 and the red one the dw-1500, but i am wrong here i guess. anyone know the difference between dw-1000 and dw-1500, with pics???

:roll:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i wonder why this watch looks red and then silver again on the front on different pictures???

i always thought the silver model is the dw-1000 and the red one the dw-1500, but i am wrong here i guess. anyone know the difference between dw-1000 and dw-1500, with pics???

:roll:
The DW-1500 has a mostly black dial with a red border. The DW-1000 in these pics has a red border but the rest of the dial is a mirror finish which makes it tough to get good pics. There's another model DW-1000, harder to find, that has a black dial with a mirror-finish border.

Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
dw-1000 and dw-1500

1 - 20 of 28 Posts