WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
12,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had not thought about the idea of picking up a Submariner, but the thought has entered my mind and you all know a whole lot more about pre-owned submariners than I do.

First, I do not want a vintage one even though I like the way they look. If I'm going to pick one up, it's going to be something post 1995 or 2000 with some sort of a recent service.

With that in mind, is there a benefit to going with the pre ceramic model if I'm not going way back into vintage models?

Obviously the ceramic model has the new bracelet which I think it's a huge benefit. With what I have said in mind, which years or models might you recommend?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
41Mets, good news is there is no bad answer for you.

If you don’t want vintage, I would go for the 114060. It will be a watch that will last you a lifetime, latest moment and updates for the Sub and for me no Sub has a date.

I own models with the cyclops, but never the Sub.

Good luck....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: 5959HH and 41Mets

·
Registered
449 Posts
The preceramic subs going back to the 80s aren’t considered vintage....

Refs 16800, 168000, 16610 are visually indistinguishable. The first two are “transitionals” so they can appear with mat dials (16800) and luminiva (168000)....

You get gloss dials with white gold surrounds. Sapphire crystals; slim line classic style cases. Very contemporary looking without looking overweight.

The 16800 and 168000 can be found with tritium dials. While they no longer glow they are turning a great color. If you want lume you can find these with luminous service hands at a discount.

While service hands and dials command lower prices they indicate the movement has been looked after, so you might be able to discount the price of an imminent service.

Don’t let the fanatics put you off a nice honest Sub with service parts or a modest polish... if the price is right, seller is clean and you like the look

I believe these “modern classics” represent good value right now.

Good luck! And post pics when you find one you’re considering...

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra

·
Banned
12,400 Posts
So I had not thought about the idea of picking up a Submariner, but the thought has entered my mind and you all know a whole lot more about pre-owned submariners than I do.

First, I do not want a vintage one even though I like the way they look. If I'm going to pick one up, it's going to be something post 1995 or 2000 with some sort of a recent service.

With that in mind, is there a benefit to going with the pre ceramic model if I'm not going way back into vintage models?

Obviously the ceramic model has the new bracelet which I think it's a huge benefit. With what I have said in mind, which years or models might you recommend?

Thanks!

Okay, here's the logic:

You have a DJ, so I'd get a nice clean Sub No-Date. You don't want vintage and you don't want ceramic, so that makes this easy, you want to pick up a 14060 which is late 90's and mid 00's and is actually the most affordable of all the Submariners out there.

There are interesting variances for the 20-something years this watch was produced. You can get drilled lug holes (or solid if you like the modern look), no rehaut engraving (or with it if you like the modern look), Luminova (or tritium if you want tan lume), the SEL bracelet (or hollow if you want to go retro).

Best of all, not only does the 14060 look great on its Oyster bracelet, but it looks fantastic on a leather or NATO strap, it will give you versatility like no other Rolex, the 6 digits do not look right on a strap.

They sell for under $6K now but prices are going up along with all Rolex sport models of course:

https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=14060&brand=rolex

·
Registered
12,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Okay, here's the logic:

You have a DJ, so I'd get a nice clean Sub No-Date. You don't want vintage and you don't want ceramic, so that makes this easy, you want to pick up a 14060 which is late 90's and mid 00's and is actually the most affordable of all the Submariners out there.

There are interesting variances for the 20-something years this watch was produced. You can get drilled lug holes (or solid if you like the modern look), no rehaut engraving (or with it if you like the modern look), Luminova (or tritium if you want tan lume), the SEL bracelet (or hollow if you want to go retro).

Best of all, not only does the 14060 look great on its Oyster bracelet, but it looks fantastic on a leather or NATO strap, it will give you versatility like no other Rolex, the 6 digits do not look right on a strap.

They sell for under $6K now but prices are going up along with all Rolex sport models of course:

So maybe this is the way to go...

Reactions: sportura

·
Banned
12,400 Posts
So maybe this is the way to go...

Yes, it's what I would do.

If you want a Submariner with date, the 16610 is your answer, same rules/configurations apply, similarly priced.

Go Jets.

·
Registered
12,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it's what I would do.

If you want a Submariner with date, the 16610 is your answer, same rules/configurations apply, similarly priced.

Go Jets.
We need go Jets now since the Mets are so horrific.

I agree with the no date since I have the DJ with the cyclops... Even though I do love a date

Reactions: sportura

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Hello 41Mets,

You have made some great watch choices in the past (some of your Sinn 103 posts inspired me to wear one for awhile).

I am a big fan of the 5-digit Submariners. While often maligned, I find the oyster bracelets with the hollow center links are light and easy to wear for a long time.

I would recommend you look for a 2000 (A-Serial) or later, so that it has Solid End Links (SELs). A-Serial is usually the transition period for these. You may also look for the WIS sweet-spot of SELs with lug holes (circa 2000-2003, generally A, P, Y, K serials).

Best of luck!

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Rolex Submariner 114060!

·
Registered
12,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all. This isn't happening soon but it's good to know what to look for!

·
Premium Member
14,721 Posts

Okay, here's the logic:

Completely agree with you! Never quite warmed up to the super oyster case myself.

5-digit no date seems to be the obvious choice for OP.

Sent from my F8132 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Completely agree with you! Never quite warmed up to the super oyster case myself.

5-digit no date seems to be the obvious choice for OP.

Is the super oyster the current case that had a broader look in the lugs?

·
Banned
12,400 Posts
Is the super oyster the current case that had a broader look in the lugs?

Yes, the Super Oyster is markedly bigger/broader. It wins on its ceramic bezel and enhanced bracelet, but it loses on bulk and weight and design imbalance. Image above for comparison. Good videos on YouTube if you search old vs. new.

Also, should have mentioned, if you want the date but don't want the cyclops, check out the 1990-2005 era 16600 Sea Dweller which is (for the sake of simplicity) a thicker 14060 Submariner with the date but without the cyclops. Will set you back more like $7K instead of $6K though.

Reactions: Fridaysniper

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I understand why some like the no-date versions of this watch but I prefer my Rolexes to have both dates and the cyclops (which I appreciate more and more as I get older). For me, the classic Sub is the 16610 which is the one I own. Bought new in 2000, it has yet to be serviced and runs within a couple seconds a day. I'm not a fan of Rolex's current offerings with clown cases and dials. The new bracelet may be better than the old one as to their construction but practically speaking? The old Oyster bracelets are very comfortable and should last a lifetime.

Good luck with your search, OP, I'm glad my buying days are behind me (but then I've got about 15 wristwatches and 3 pocket watches).

·
Premium Member
14,721 Posts

Yes, the Super Oyster is markedly bigger/broader. It wins on its ceramic bezel and enhanced bracelet, but it loses on bulk and weight and design imbalance. Image above for comparison. Good videos on YouTube if you search old vs. new.

Also, should have mentioned, if you want the date but don't want the cyclops, check out the 1990-2005 era 16600 Sea Dweller which is (for the sake of simplicity) a thicker 14060 Submariner with the date but without the cyclops. Will set you back more like $7K instead of $6K though.
Agree with most, except I'm not sure if the cerachrome bezel and the new oyster bracelet are all positive upgrades. The replacement cost of the cerachrome bezel is ridiculous if you're one of the lucky individuals to crack it, and the old oysters on my 16610 and my old Tudor Subs are almost as good in terms of longevity, but personally I think they are miles ahead in terms of wearing comfort.

Good call on the 5-digit SD, one heck of a watch!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts

All this said, the six digit is a godsend for so many of us that are not of average build. I personally have sold off many Rolex watches prior to some recent models due to they were just too small for me. I also have many friends in the same boat.

For me personally at 6’4” and 225 lbs and with large hands, the 114060 and the Explorer II fit me MUCH better than any of my previous watches from Rolex. I love them both and even bought both dials of the Explorer II. I recently also bought the Batman and am not sure I will keep it due to its wrist presence. Time will tell.

As I said, we are all not built the same and Rolex is now producing more options.... smart. I have two friends that had given up on owning any Sub due to size. They both tried on my 114060 and were surprised how it fir them. One now has the watch and the other is looking. I will close saying, NO Sub should ever have a date! There are other models for that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts

Okay, here's the logic:

Just some clarification......the 14060 / 14060M was always produced with drilled-through lug holes and hollow end links all the way up to its discontinuation. This has been the attraction to this model for those that liked/wanted vintage but found it to be a bit out of their price range.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts